Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Third MQM Award Level for Reserve/Plat Cards (targeted)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Third MQM Award Level for Reserve/Plat Cards (targeted)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm surprised they are even doing this. I thought the reason for increasing the MQD waiver to $250K was to "thin the herds" By giving an additional 15K MQMs won't this result in more PM, GM and FOs?
People speculate on the reasons but there hasn't been any official announcement. Regardless, it's possible someone wants to reduce the number of DMs and still encourage additional spend on the cards despite the effects on the lower ranks.

The 3rd MQM will definitely inflate the ranks, even of DMs (there are definitely people who surpass DM MQDs and don't make MQMs (I have been one in the past)).

The number of FOs created this way will probably be pretty small since if you already have the first two boosts you're over 25k MQM and you've obviously passed the waiver, but some people will gift their 3rd boost and some of those recipients will probably be pushed over the FO threshhold.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pvn
People speculate on the reasons but there hasn't been any official announcement. Regardless, it's possible someone wants to reduce the number of DMs and still encourage additional spend on the cards despite the effects on the lower ranks.

The 3rd MQM will definitely inflate the ranks, even of DMs (there are definitely people who surpass DM MQDs and don't make MQMs (I have been one in the past)).

The number of FOs created this way will probably be pretty small since if you already have the first two boosts you're over 25k MQM and you've obviously passed the waiver, but some people will gift their 3rd boost and some of those recipients will probably be pushed over the FO threshhold.
There's also the ability to gift the miles which could result in more FO's in that case (not like FO's have a shot at an upgrade anymore anyway) or elites earning higher status from having those additional mqm's gifted to them.

There's also people that don't want to be diamond but in that case it wouldn't make sense to keeping using your Am Ex card after reaching the MQM boost spend since there are cards out there that give a lot better value than 1 skypeso per dollar charged
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
This seems to be TARGETED offer for consumer NOT open aka biz cards. However

The Delta Amex Reserve card offer code if you want to call to try to have them load is: 2 2222CTLF
The Delta Amex Platinum card offer code if you want to call to try to have them load is: 1 2222CTL6

Again neither code will work with BIZ cards. If anyone has BIZ card codes please update this thread!
Not solicited. Called. Rock.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
Also not offered this bonus. Called and was given a big, fat no. Guess I'll pay closer attention to my spend as I get to $60k. Last year I put over $100k on the card. This year I'll put the other $40k on Chase Sapphire.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott/Hilton Gold
I was not solicited, so I called and asked that the appropriate offer code be loaded onto my account. I was told that the offer terms prohibit being manually added to an account that wasn't targeted. I was told, however, that I might receive the same offer in next few days.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd worry that calling could supposedly get the code added to your account, but then after spending the money you wouldn't get the MQMs.In fact, I was about to ask whether anyone had experience with this for DL AmEx cards.

With Marriott it has historically worked: one is able to call and ask for a different promo, which generally is accepted and seems to post just fine. [This comment applies to the MR program, not Marriott branded credit cards.]
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by NYCNorm
I was not solicited, so I called and asked that the appropriate offer code be loaded onto my account. I was told that the offer terms prohibit being manually added to an account that wasn't targeted. I was told, however, that I might receive the same offer in next few days.
Interesting. During my call there was no mention of any further offers.

Initially, I was subjected to a didactic description of the whole program. I politely listened to all that I already knew re what the first 30k of spend would get me, what the second 30k of spend would get me, culminating in what the final, new, 30k of spend would get me.

She then went on to say that all Reserve card holders would get this third tier. I reiterated that I was under the impression that this was not the case, and that only some card holders would get this benefit. To her credit, she immediately asked me if I would mind being put on hold while she checked this out. I was on hold quite a while. When she returned, she apologized for the long hold, explaining that she needed to speak with a supervisor. It was at that point that she told me that I was out of luck because I was not included in an invitation only program.

Not feeling it for DL right now.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course they tell you that it should come by email in a few days. Gets you off the phone.
NYCNorm likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
This “targeted offer” crap is for the birds. I’ll put over $500K on my Reserve card this year. I pay the same $450 annual fee everyone else does. I don’t like a wallet full of cards, so I stick with 2-3 and rarely use my Visa save for Amex-rejecting merchants.

I don’t *need* the MQMs for my own DM status. I fly the miles, most of them booked in paid F (so the status itself is less beneficial to me, as I fly F and have the Reserve card for SC access).

But hear i sit, hat in hand, because I don’t get an offer of MQMs that I gift to my wife so she can be my Platinum flying companion.

It’s a small sleight, but it doesn’t go unnoticed.

Way to alienate your top spenders, Delta.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You guys all seem to be pissed at Delta, but how do you know it's not Amex that's making this decision about targeting?

It's pretty typical of these financial companies to bonus new and low-spending customers and not care about the ones who are locked in to big spend.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I doubt Amex could unilaterally offer a Delta benefit. There must be some collusion between the two on offers like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TheHorta
This “targeted offer” crap is for the birds. I’ll put over $500K on my Reserve card this year. I pay the same $450 annual fee everyone else does. I don’t like a wallet full of cards, so I stick with 2-3 and rarely use my Visa save for Amex-rejecting merchants.

I don’t *need* the MQMs for my own DM status. I fly the miles, most of them booked in paid F (so the status itself is less beneficial to me, as I fly F and have the Reserve card for SC access).

But hear i sit, hat in hand, because I don’t get an offer of MQMs that I gift to my wife so she can be my Platinum flying companion.

It’s a small sleight, but it doesn’t go unnoticed.

Way to alienate your top spenders, Delta.
If you just need SC access out of the card why not use the Platinum Card?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pvn
If you just need SC access out of the card why not use the Platinum Card?
The OP mentioned flying paid F so if he travels with a companion the companion cert is worth a lot as well. Also the annual fee is $100 less on the Delta reserve card (but he would obviously be able to use the $200 airline credit with no problem)

I feel like Delta is giving is giving me the middle finger twice.

First by increasing the waiver 10 fold with the excuse they are trying to thin the herds. but they do this promo that is targeted meaning if I decide to go for the $250K spend I won't be getting the 15K MQM boost and if I decide to just drop to PM there will be more PM's to compete against thanks to this boost.
TheHorta likes this.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Mar 29, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The OP mentioned flying paid F so if he travels with a companion the companion cert is worth a lot as well. Also the annual fee is $100 on the Delta card (but he would obviously be able to use the $200 airline credit with no problem)

I feel like Delta is giving is giving me the middle finger twice.

First by increasing the waiver 10 fold with the excuse they are trying to thin the herds. but they do this promo that is targeted meaning if I decide to go for the $250K spend I won't be getting the 15K MQM boost and if I decide to just drop to PM there will be more PM's to compete against thanks to this boost.
Isn't it the AmEx DL Gold credit card that has the annual fee of approximately $100? That one doesn't get any companion certs, and in fact only the Reserve card (annual fee about $500) gets a FC companion cert.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it the AmEx DL Gold credit card that has the annual fee of approximately $100? That one doesn't get any companion certs, and in fact only the Reserve card (annual fee about $500) gets a FC companion cert.
Sorry mistyed it. Meant to type the annual fee on the DL Reserve card is $100 a year less than the Am Ex Platinum. The reserve fee is $450 and I think the Am Ex non-brand plat is $550

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.