Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Second Trip Added to Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
My general experience has been that if I’m in F either by a free or purchased upgrade the flight I get protected onto is usually in F as well if available
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by RealHJ
What's your secret? Seriously. I'd like to know.

It's a small data sample, only like some three times I've asked for it the last two years, but it's been always a solid no.
Perhaps it is because I have never done anything to offend DL management. (ROFL)

I can't explain my success rate, or your failure rate. We are both DMs. I am a Flying Colonel, but all that gets you these days is an infrequent pat on the back, a hearty high-ho, and a hip-hip-hooray by a FA.

Did you try HUCA? I may have been initially turned down once or twice, but when I explain that it is a DL policy to protect DMs I consistently prevail.

Originally Posted by puck021
My general experience has been that if I’m in F either by a free or purchased upgrade the flight I get protected onto is usually in F as well if available
If I am on a complementary UG (which is rare these days), I am invariably told that I have to join the UG queue on the protection flight. But, if in FC on a coupon or on a paid FC fare, you should invariably get protected into FC if a seat is available.

Once you have "purchased" the UG, either with a coupon or credit card, your FC ticket is supposed to be, effectively, indistinguishable from a paid FC fare. That is the reason that I have been known to succumb to the FCM shakedown.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Did you try HUCA? I may have been initially turned down once or twice, but when I explain that it is a DL policy to protect DMs I consistently prevail.
Never, as I fundamentally believe that HUACA is not something that the customer should do. Instead of taking more time to try to get a different answer (I feel wrong in doing that), I just take my chances, and it either works out or doesn't.

It was done before without having to ask, just recently (last 2, 3 years) I've been told that "we don't do that anymore" (when I asked to be 'protected' by name - not for 'protection', mind you ) and that "it's impossible to put you on another flight without taking you off the original one first" in some form or another. But again, just I think 3 or 4 experiences, so it's not a lot of data points. But it does seem to me like either a clear policy shift, or lack of training of agents. In other words, typical Delta inconsistency. I really wish Delta would implement some system wide effectively communicated policies & effectively executed training, plus Quality Assurance / testing, to deliver to their customers something closer to a consistent and predictable experience.

If I am on a complementary UG (which is rare these days), I am invariably told that I have to join the UG queue on the protection flight. But, if in FC on a coupon or on a paid FC fare, you should invariably get protected into FC if a seat is available.
The issue is that F/J is - majority of the time - either fully sold out, or oversold (on the routes I am talking about; not talking about domestic recliner F obviously here). So, the only time I was able to get that, I did get a seat request card for the other flight, while still preserving the original one, but I was told it was already oversold in F/J by 2 seats, and that I was on standby after the two other pax. May be that is why DL agents just don't bother to 'protect' pax in F/J, as it's usually sold out or oversold (I mean on lie-flat so-called "Delta One" routes; obviously not on domestic FC that makes little sense to pay extra $$ for; for domestic F recliner seats connection the 'protected' flight has stuck to the PNR even after I didn't take the original flight the one time so was done).

I can't explain my success rate, or your failure rate. We are both DMs. I am a Flying Colonel, but all that gets you these days is an infrequent pat on the back, a hearty high-ho, and a hip-hip-hooray by a FA.
The NWA tags on my bags have gotten me some special treatment once or twice, by staff who were fond of NW and not that happy about the Deltification and the overall service downgrade that came along with that. But that's about all that it's been good for. That, and good memories - now in the more distant past.

Last edited by RealHJ; Mar 24, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
The issue is that F/J is - majority of the time - either fully sold out, or oversold (on the routes I am talking about; not talking about domestic recliner F obviously here). ...
True. Alternate Plan B (involving FC) is increasing hard to find, especially when the disruptions involve more than a single flight (such as in WX situations).

But, when it comes to a delay with a particular flight (mine) I have had fairly good success staying in FC. Actually, truth be told, I have been fairly lucky in getting protected and then not needing to take advantage of the protection.

The same scarcity of opportunities applies to SDC, IME.

You made reference to "protection" in another, unspecified context. I did not want to draw any inferences.

Were you talking about "protection" in the context of something you can purchase from a vending machine in the restroom.

Or, "protection" in the context of someone in a black shirt and white tie coming up to you with "Nice seat assignment you have here. Be a shame if something should happen to it..." (I've watch too much Sopranos...)
Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
How can one ever get 'protected' on a flight? Every time I've asked I've been flat out told that DL doesn't do "protect" and that if I want to change to the later flight due to a likely mis-connection that they first have to take the original flight completely out of the record, i.e. that a pax can't hold a reserved seat on two flights same day, same O&D, at the same time. It used to be done so until a few years ago I recall, and so I was told, but absolutely no more (again, that is what I've been told by several DM line phone res agents, and same at the airport).
Been told the same on several occasions.
My favorite was during the first of the four Nor’easter the diamond desk and supervisor told me under no circumstances was any DL flyer supposed to be protected on a flight.
Meanwhile my Platinum colleague was protected while talking to the Platinum line and beat me home by 18 hours.
Twitter wouldn’t help either and the above involved multiple HUACA’s.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:06 pm

You made reference to "protection" in another, unspecified context. I did not want to draw any inferences.

Were you talking about "protection" in the context of something you can purchase from a vending machine in the restroom.
i was thinking the same thing and had an image of a full body protection ala the adult onsite diversion in the DYKWIA thread.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:09 pm

That would be onsie not onsite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.