Second Trip Added to Itinerary

Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Titanium Elite, National Executive
Second Trip Added to Itinerary

Flying SMF -> LAX -> MSP today and about an hour ago Delta added the red eye as a second trip to my itinerary for the LAX -> MSP leg. I’ve never seen anything like this before on a connection so I went up to the checkin counter and asked what happened. She said that they were “planning ahead” and added the second trip just in case I missed my 1h 34m connection at LAX but she then told me that the plane was slightly late leaving LAX to come here because of the storm out east but that I should be fine. I found her reassurances unconvincing so asked to be put on another flight through SLC but they were all sold out.

Has anyone seen this before or is this new? I’ve had plenty of really close connections with delayed inbound flights so it struck me as very strange especially because I didn’t get any communication from Delta about what happened.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:15 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Sounds like a proactive GA. Yes, protective segments show up in your DL.com itinerary as you described .If you make your connection it will drop off.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
One of the nice things that DL first line folks do for us.

^
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Yup, agents in the Skyclub have "protected" me a few times like this, and I am always appreciative of it.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Things are a bit messy at LAX today. Nevertheless, looks like your inbound is on final descent at SMF, a few mins ahead of schedule. You should be fine. Kudos to DL for having your back just in case. Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:48 pm

OP, I think the problem is that you viewed this as some sort of error, when in fact it was someone being incredibly thoughtful for you. If your flight and fully cancelled or been severely delayed, you may not have had that flight available for re-booking and it could have been overnight or longer until they can find space for you depending on the size of the system disruption
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:51 pm

This is why Delta rocks! They are so good with their customer service especially the SLC agents are amazing! I love flying on Delta as they know how to take care of their customers.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
How can one ever get 'protected' on a flight? Every time I've asked I've been flat out told that DL doesn't do "protect" and that if I want to change to the later flight due to a likely mis-connection that they first have to take the original flight completely out of the record, i.e. that a pax can't hold a reserved seat on two flights same day, same O&D, at the same time. It used to be done so until a few years ago I recall, and so I was told, but absolutely no more (again, that is what I've been told by several DM line phone res agents, and same at the airport).
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RealHJ
How can one ever get 'protected' on a flight? Every time I've asked I've been flat out told that DL doesn't do "protect" and that if I want to change to the later flight due to a likely mis-connection that they first have to take the original flight completely out of the record, i.e. that a pax can't hold a reserved seat on two flights same day, same O&D, at the same time. It used to be done so until a few years ago I recall, and so I was told, but absolutely no more (again, that is what I've been told by several DM line phone res agents, and same at the airport).
I don't think they are supposed to do it anymore - but some agents either know how to, have the authorization, or the willingness too.

I have gotten the same answer from some agents, while others have proactively protected me without me even bringing it up. It's literally why the acronym HUCA exists.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I don't think they are supposed to do it anymore - but some agents either know how to, have the authorization, or the willingness too.

I have gotten the same answer from some agents, while others have proactively protected me without me even bringing it up. It's literally why the acronym HUCA exists.
I have had no trouble getting "protected"... even recently.

IIRC, there have been times when I was "double protected."
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by btonkid12345

You're right. I had an agent pull the floor supervisor and they managed to do it at the airport (on standby basis only) once over the last few years, but other than that, esp. on the phone, it's been always a solid "no" or "we don't do that anymore, not for anyone, no matter what." (Sadly looks like overselling flights to the max is Dullta's #1 priority, while taking care of it customers is a distant second. That is one of the two main reasons why I fly UA more nowadays, where irrops handling for a nobody is far superior to DL for its DMs.)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have had no trouble getting "protected"... even recently.

IIRC, there have been times when I was "double protected."
What's your secret? Seriously. I'd like to know.

It's a small data sample, only like some three times I've asked for it the last two years, but it's been always a solid no.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
What's your secret? Seriously. I'd like to know.

It's a small data sample, only like some three times I've asked for it the last two years, but it's been always a solid no.
I have been protected at least six time this year by SC agents, DM line agents, and the Twitter team. In fact a few weeks ago I also got my traveling companion Gold protected by a SC agent in DCA after a mechanical.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I too have been protected all the time on alternate flights without any controversy. Make sure you’re asking for Delta-operated flights, of course, and that the alternatives are rational for your situation. You do typically need some sort of justification for why you want the protection, but legitimate delays are a perfectly good reason.
Oversale shouldn’t play into this - the amount DL is willing to oversell a flight is already baked into the availability in the GDS. If an alternate flight is Y0 and there are no seats, though, you won’t be able to get protected on it - and I don’t think there’s a “standby protection” process as it does require a confirmable seat.

Perhaps the problem you’re running into, RealHJ, is that you’re flying some cut rate budget airline called “Dullta”? I’ve never heard of them but I can’t imagine they operate flights with the same reliability and customer service as Delta *ducks*
Mountain Explorer and RealHJ like this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by BenA
Oversale shouldn’t play into this - the amount DL is willing to oversell a flight is already baked into the availability in the GDS. If an alternate flight is Y0 and there are no seats, though, you won’t be able to get protected on it - and I don’t think there’s a “standby protection” process as it does require a confirmable seat.
May be you're onto something. May be DL won't do it as F/J is so often greatly oversold...and the only time they did it (from HNL-MSP to HNL-ATL or vice versa, I forgot) was on a standby, and I was told that the other flight is oversold by 3 seats in the F/J cabin, so there is practically no chance that 3 pax won't show up and I can get on it (in the end 2 didn't show up, but as #3 on the "seat request" list I didn't get on). So may be it only works if you are flying in Y that usually flies at least some empty seats, and it probably helps if you're a lower status customer (DL seems to value occasional flier business much more than that of frequent travelers who spend more).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.