Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy as Platinum = stand by list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy as Platinum = stand by list?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fare difference on this route is $15, not $40. OP did not purchase this last minute as it would be way more than $80. $80 is a two-week advance purchase E with underlying X fare. A last minute fare would be a $268 K fare which does not have a corresponding E fare.

Nowhere does it say "Seats assigned at check-in". This is what is says when click the Basic Economy link and below is the text from FAQ's.
  • Seat assigned at gate or after check-in
Can Medallion® Members Select A Seat Assignment If They Purchase A Basic Economy Fare?

All passengers who select a Basic Economy fare, including Medallion members, will not be able to select seats until after check-in, including Preferred Seats or Delta Comfort+ seats. If a Basic Economy seat is not available, a seat request card will be issued and can be used to clear security. Your seat will be automatically assigned at the gate.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 21, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
With Basic Econ, you have a confirmed spot on the plane, just not a specific seat until it is assigned... which is why you show up on the standby list. Unfortunately any pax waiting for a seat assignment show up on the standby list, both those with a confirmed spot and those actually on standby waiting for availability. So, it can be confusing.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by LBJ
The fare difference on this route is $15, not $40.
It is $30 round trip which is how most people book tickets.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ND76
I was shopping for fares yesterday, and I found a real odd ball situation where BE was $70 more than main cabin. It was on a real oddball itinerary, the kind I thrive on: DCA-JFK-SLC-CPR (my destination is Thermopolis, WY). Needless to say I grabbed the main cabin fare (which was a bargain for this route, $470 RT, bought 30 days out).
Oddball in terms of a small difference or a big difference? $60 is standard for longer length routes. Even shorter routes like ATL->BWI have a $50 premium round trip. They keep creeping up (it used to be it was $10-20 or less for almost all routes).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
With Basic Econ, you have a confirmed spot on the plane, just not a specific seat until it is assigned... which is why you show up on the standby list. Unfortunately any pax waiting for a seat assignment show up on the standby list, both those with a confirmed spot and those actually on standby waiting for availability. So, it can be confusing.
Yes and moreover if OP and spouse have confirmed reservations and tickets for the flight, DL will pay someone else to get off if necessary: DL will do VDBs as necessary to get all confirmed passengers seats on the flight, including those who are confirmed (and appear/check in on time) wit BE tickets.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Oddball in terms of a small difference or a big difference? $60 is standard for longer length routes. Even shorter routes like ATL->BWI have a $50 premium round trip. They keep creeping up (it used to be it was $10-20 or less for almost all routes).
I think he's saying oddball in terms of Main Cabin was cheaper than BE.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mills1090
I think he's saying oddball in terms of Main Cabin was cheaper than BE.
Ahhh I see. That makes sense (and apologies that I can't read ). It's actually somewhat common on more complex routing because E fares have additional restrictions that can sometimes make them fall into higher underlying fare classes. So you may end up with a "V" main cabin fare but a "L" BE fare meaning that it prices higher.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is $30 round trip which is how most people book tickets.
OP claimed it was an $80 BE fare which would be a one-way fare (not RT) with a 2 week advance purchase requirement and that MC was 50% more (which would be $40). Just pointing out that BE is nowhere near 50% more on this route.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Not next to each other, no, but they will both get seats.

The "standby list" thing causes a lot of confusion. The standby list includes people with confirmed seats but have not yet been assigned a seat.
SERIOUSLY! AA is the same way, they should really update their terminology. "Awaiting seat assignment" would quell a lot of concern. Or even have two lists going forward, one for BE and one traditional standby.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
OP claimed it was an $80 BE fare which would be a one-way fare (not RT) with a 2 week advance purchase requirement and that MC was 50% more (which would be $40). Just pointing out that BE is nowhere near 50% more on this route.
Fair point. We'll have to give it a few more years before Delta becomes as egregious as OP implied...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:53 am

Since this is solved through OP calling the PM line, I want to make a point. OP got lucky that they found someone that was willing to help on the other end, most likely because they are PM. BE are not eligible for C+ or F. I am guessing that since they were able to get seat assignments, that they reissued tickets in MC and will now be eligible for those upgrades. OP, are you now showing your names on the upgrade lists?
My wife refuses to pay an extra $50 a ticket on $160 RT tickets to see her family, so she books BE a lot more than I would. I have only been able to switch things up twice, once when something came up that we had to cancel our RT and book LAX>ORD then home where they were kind enough to reissue in MC to make the change the day before and another was in a SL when I was sitting in a middle seat in the back and they worked their magic to get me an aisle C+.
Point is, dont ever count on it.
And yes as others mentioned, you are on standby but there are seats blocked out for you and you are always at the top of the list with the others who have space blocked out as well.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sevastras
Since this is solved through OP calling the PM line, I want to make a point. OP got lucky that they found someone that was willing to help on the other end, most likely because they are PM. BE are not eligible for C+ or F. I am guessing that since they were able to get seat assignments, that they reissued tickets in MC and will now be eligible for those upgrades. OP, are you now showing your names on the upgrade lists?
My wife refuses to pay an extra $50 a ticket on $160 RT tickets to see her family, so she books BE a lot more than I would. I have only been able to switch things up twice, once when something came up that we had to cancel our RT and book LAX>ORD then home where they were kind enough to reissue in MC to make the change the day before and another was in a SL when I was sitting in a middle seat in the back and they worked their magic to get me an aisle C+.
And yes as others mentioned, you are on standby but there are seats blocked out for you and you are always at the top of the list with the others who have space blocked out as well.
I missed something. Where does it say the OP's tickets were reissued? They just assigned seats.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I missed something. Where does it say the OP's tickets were reissued? They just assigned seats.
No one said they were reissued, I am just suggesting that they are from my experience. They "usually" wont issue a seat prior to the gate agent, from my understanding unless they were reissued into MC. If OP lets us know is they are on the upgrade list now, then we can be certain. If they are not, I am wrong on the MC thing and it would be good to know for certain.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
A lot depends upon availability when you purchase your tickets, since BE fares are based on the lowest available coach fare. Buying at the last minute, I can see your point. If you were to purchase quite fare in advance, the fare difference is likely about $15.00. I would pay $15.00 for a pre-assigned seat. But then, you paid for a KE F fare and you are worried about $40?
Fair point, but I don't see a reason to pay buck more for flights < 60 mins. JFK-ICN F with approx 14 hours in the air, is worth every penny imo. Especially since mine is an award booking. I had to re-position the starting point of my international leg to JFK.

Originally Posted by sevastras
My ticket was not re-issued, I'm still in BE (not in the upgrade list), I just have an assigned seat (exit row) without the ability to change it.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Fair point, but I don't see a reason to pay buck more for flights < 60 mins. JFK-ICN F with approx 14 hours in the air, is worth every penny imo. Especially since mine is an award booking. I had to re-position the starting point of my international leg to JFK.

My ticket was not re-issued, I'm still in BE (not in the upgrade list), I just have an assigned seat (exit row) without the ability to change it.

Good to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.