FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy as Platinum = stand by list?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:31 pm
justsawaufo

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
A lot depends upon availability when you purchase your tickets, since BE fares are based on the lowest available coach fare. Buying at the last minute, I can see your point. If you were to purchase quite fare in advance, the fare difference is likely about $15.00. I would pay $15.00 for a pre-assigned seat. But then, you paid for a KE F fare and you are worried about $40?
Fair point, but I don't see a reason to pay buck more for flights < 60 mins. JFK-ICN F with approx 14 hours in the air, is worth every penny imo. Especially since mine is an award booking. I had to re-position the starting point of my international leg to JFK.

Originally Posted by sevastras
Since this is solved through OP calling the PM line, I want to make a point. OP got lucky that they found someone that was willing to help on the other end, most likely because they are PM. BE are not eligible for C+ or F. I am guessing that since they were able to get seat assignments, that they reissued tickets in MC and will now be eligible for those upgrades. OP, are you now showing your names on the upgrade lists?
My wife refuses to pay an extra $50 a ticket on $160 RT tickets to see her family, so she books BE a lot more than I would. I have only been able to switch things up twice, once when something came up that we had to cancel our RT and book LAX>ORD then home where they were kind enough to reissue in MC to make the change the day before and another was in a SL when I was sitting in a middle seat in the back and they worked their magic to get me an aisle C+.
Point is, dont ever count on it.
And yes as others mentioned, you are on standby but there are seats blocked out for you and you are always at the top of the list with the others who have space blocked out as well.
My ticket was not re-issued, I'm still in BE (not in the upgrade list), I just have an assigned seat (exit row) without the ability to change it.