Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Return Flight on Older Airplane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing Return Flight on Older Airplane

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
True. I didn't even think about the possibility that it could have been an older A320 that wasn't refurbished / updated yet...
I believe - supported by the refurb thread in LBJ's link - that all 320s got new bins, seats, AC/USB power, and 2Ku wifi. The difference is whether or not the OP had a video screen, as part of the 32K to 32M update.

While streaming on own devices requires an app, it can be downloaded (free) while in flight.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Welcome to FT, Stu! As noted, do go ahead and contact Delta, and hopefully you can use the miles they might give you. I think it's great you had a wonderful trip down and a lovely holiday with your family, that is what it's all about!

But Stu isn't likely to come back, and we like to talk to each other anyways. So I googled some phrases, which only led back here, so I'm not sure where else we might see Stu. It's pretty neat (or disturbing) that Google had the FT search result right there at the top. No substantive hits at all from yahoo or bing or dogpile or duck duck go. Guess it really is all Google. Oh wait, Stu posted to FB also.

Last edited by daloosh; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:10 pm
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Almost certain we'll never see/hear from the poster again to find out what the notice was or any other relevant information.

Based on flight info, they were in a 739 on the way down which has the nice new IFE system with large displays.
Sounds like a non-refurb'd 320 for the return, which are old and run down looking. Probably only has normal ground based Gogo, which would not work since the flight is over water almost the whole time.

Would be interesting to know if the OP booked the flight because they saw it listed as having IFE etc on the Delta website, and what the notice was they got... but alas we'll likely never know. Time to move on to other more useful threads.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:12 pm

This isn't a serious thread and should be deleted.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rylan
Almost certain we'll never see/hear from the poster again to find out what the notice was or any other relevant information.

Based on flight info, they were in a 739 on the way down which has the nice new IFE system with large displays.
Sounds like a non-refurb'd 320 for the return, which are old and run down looking. Probably only has normal ground based Gogo, which would not work since the flight is over water almost the whole time.

Would be interesting to know if the OP booked the flight because they saw it listed as having IFE etc on the Delta website, and what the notice was they got... but alas we'll likely never know. Time to move on to other more useful threads.
As stated above, all A320s have been refurbished with New Seats, Bins, ISP, 2KU Wi-Fi. Currently only about 1/2 the A320s have AVOD however and the rest are being configured. It amazes me how people automatically assume if a plane dosen't have AVOD than its automatically an old plane.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oops, yeah I forgot they all did get updated... for some reason I thought there were still some 320s around with the old seat config.
So it didn't have the AVOD system, and maybe the wi-fi wasn't working. Not sure why OP would say their seat was like an exit row in the back however.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I'm blue collar and paid 750 for a flight that's normally 801!!!!

This belongs in the DYKWIA thread.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Alphazone
This isn't a serious thread and should be deleted.
Did it ruin your day.
Entertaining in my opinion.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
I like people noobier than me cause it makes me feel a little less noobie
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:25 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I thought DL’s fleet was 100% WiFi....
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by 355F1
I thought DL’s fleet was 100% WiFi....
It is, but this particular bird was over international waters and didn't have internet
user would need to download the app to view on-demand but seems like he had problems downloading it.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was on a crappy old E175 Wednesday that not only had no in-seat video screens, there was no divider between Y and F to separate me from the un-upgraded masses. Yes, a true Human Rights Violation.

In the interest of time, I will skip the social media campaign, and proceed directly to litigation in the International Court of Justice.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: none
OP, please come back and tell me how DL answered your complaint.. Not because I care (I don't really), but because I want to know how they will respond to me when I complain about something similar.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77

Did it ruin your day.
Entertaining in my opinion.
No.
I'm not sure what about it is entertaining nor why the situation merits a complaint given the reported good service on the outbound leg. Complaining about lack of IFE suggest some sort of twisted entitlement mentality, and I never use inflight wifi because it doesn't work. Even the advertised inflight messaging doesn't work. So people should adjust their expectations accordingly and be satisfied that they can be transported over oceans.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
I do not know why the OP would expect wifi over the Atlantic.
Almost the entire mainline fleet now operates with satellite based wifi that works over Atlantic.

Originally Posted by Alphazone
I never use inflight wifi because it doesn't work. Even the advertised inflight messaging doesn't work. So people should adjust their expectations accordingly and be satisfied that they can be transported over oceans.
IME the satellite based services generally work pretty well, with just occasional dropouts. Big improvement over the old ground based system. (I've used it TATL, TPAC, and TCON.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.