Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Return Flight on Older Airplane

Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Attention Delta:
If a blue collar client is paying $750 for first class both ways of a trip, shouldn’t the amenities offered be the same? Flying from JFK (Flight DL482) we had inflight movies and wonderful in-flight internet with wonderful staff and constant food.

On the way home I was notified with this alert

[img]cid:E04C1F9D-3D3E-4D8D-B394-BF5ABE0D82B2[/img]

The truth of the matter is we are sitting in an old plane (Flight DL790) no prior notification from boarding regarding the lack of, inflight movie service or any TV’s at all and no WiFi (you had to download the app but couldn’t because you were in the air) as the not so friendly crew explained it.

So after a nice flight down, a great family vacation and the happiness and excitement that we paid the extra money for the luxury of first class heading home, I am sitting in a seat that can be equaled to an Emergancy Exit location 15 rows back.

So if the cost the same when the amenities of first class are offered and I should be reimbursed $350 when I'm seating in nothing better that good old coach seating.

*Please don’t tell me first boarding - I have a baby so either way I would have boarded
*Please don’t tell me drinks, the robotic flight attendant rapidly went up the four rows twice in five minutes with champagne and orange juice. Was not the same service I received on the way down.
*Please don’t tell me it was a last minute change we received notification 24 hours prior to flight requesting that we pick our seats and noticed only 4 rows in first class vs the five rows going down

I will call the Delta Customer Service line Friday, and post this email in every social media group I know as well as the FDA website and Delta Yelp, Facebook, Instagram and
whatever other venue I can show my displeasure.

Look forward to a personal response not a generic robotic reply....
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, Stu Siegel!

I'm not sure what notification you received, as your link doesn't show. Also, I'm not clear what blue collar has to do with anything, and $750 for a return F ticket can be very expensive or very cheap, you don't say where you were travelling from and to.

You could have asked for as many drinks as you liked. I'm sure the cabin crew would happily have obliged (though I was not there). What difference does it make whether there are four or five rows? I'm not sure I follow.

There is always a risk of a plane swap which may or may not have the seats that you expect. There is no recourse to DL as this would have been made clear in the terms of your booking. You may get a gesture of goodwill from the airline (a few miles), but the reasons you list do not qualify for a refund. Complaining to the FDA sure is a strange one. Was the food unfit for human consumption?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:57 am

This appears to have been a JFK-PUJ roundtrip.

I do not know why the OP would expect wifi over the Atlantic.

And I have no idea why the OP intends to contact the FDA.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
And I have no idea why the OP intends to contact the FDA.
Don't forget the FBI, FEC, FTC, FEMA, FHA and FAA, and that's just a small part of the "F's". (sarcasm off)

But seriously, OP paid for a First Class experience and was disappointed in what he got. Write the airline and plead your case. Maybe your expectations are a bit unrealistic, or maybe you'll get some satisfaction. It doesn't hurt to try.
hi55us likes this.

Last edited by Allan38103; Mar 16, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:08 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving to the Delta forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:19 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If OP is really only pissed about the in-flight movie, paying extra for F isn't relevant since there aren't any planes I know of that have seat-back screens in F only.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The DL (and other US airlines) North American F seat is nothing to write home abouf, for sure. But it's a bit silly to say it's no better than sitting in an exit row.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Stu Siegel
Attention Delta:
If a blue collar client is paying $750 for first class both ways of a trip, shouldn’t the amenities offered be the same?

So if the cost the same when the amenities of first class are offered and I should be reimbursed $350 when I'm seating in nothing better that good old coach seating.
I cant see the notice thst you got, but not all aircraft are equipped with the same amenities, and a round trip ticket doesn't mean you'll be on the exact same aircraft in both directions. Re. seat back entertainment screens.... Did you original booking confirmation show that this would be available in both directions? If so, and it wasn't then sure, contact Delta. But you catch more flies with honey so I'd suggest toning down your outrage and indignation. They may have needed to do an aircraft swap so a simple, polite inquiry may get you a few thousand sky miles for the inconvenience. If the original confirmation did NOT show in-flight entertainment in both directions, then you have no complaint.

And no, there is no way in hell you deserve to get half your ticket refunded, as Delta did get you where you needed to go....something far more important than whether or not you got to watch a movie along the way. Lastly, just because it's a round trip doesn't mean both directions of travel price out the same. The price can be affected by flight time, date, general supply and demand, etc. so even if a refund was due (it's not) it wouldn't necessarily be half your ticket cost.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:41 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Stu, Welcome to FlyerTalk . . . . if you ever come back . . . .

Aeroplanes, along with trains, and buses, and cars - - BREAK! They just do!

If your flight would have been out of Atlanta, they would likely have had many planes to swap out for. Out of PUJ, there really isn't much they can do! Entertainment and internet systems won't get fixed at a distant, tiny outstation. They could have canceled the flight and flown it back to the USA empty, but, that would be ridiculous. They are running an airline - not a movie theater. Their remedy in these situation is usually to dole out lotsa SkyMiles, but, if you don't like whatever offer they make, you can always ask for more.

I'm curious to know what you think they should've done?

Seabilly and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
We'll never see poor Stu again. He's busy posting "this email in every social media group I know."

IBTL
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:58 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davetravels

I'm curious to know what you think they should've done?

he already told you, he wants half his money back.

but like howste says, we're never going to see this guy again
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Route is flown by an A320. DL is in the process of putting AVOD in all the A320's, but has not quite finished yet. 37 out of 62 aircraft have been modded to the A32M configuration with AVOD and another 3 are currently in mod's and there are 22 A32K's currently flying without AVOD.

The Official Delta A319/A320/A321 Cabin Mods Thread
NZA777319ER likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
Route is flown by an A320. DL is in the process of putting AVOD in all the A320's, but has not quite finished yet. 37 out of 62 aircraft have been modded to the A32M configuration with AVOD and another 3 are currently in mod's and there are 22 A32K's currently flying without AVOD.

The Official Delta A319/A320/A321 Cabin Mods Thread
True. I didn't even think about the possibility that it could have been an older A320 that wasn't refurbished / updated yet, If that's the case, those amenities wouldn't have been listed online when the ticket was purchased, and there wouldn't be any reason for the flight attendant to make an announcement about it.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:28 pm

I will call the Delta Customer Service line Friday, and post this email in every social media group I know as well as the FDA website and Delta Yelp, Facebook, Instagram and
whatever other venue I can show my displeasure.
THIS is just plain silly, because it'll likely turn out to be your fault in the end, in that you didn't see that those amenities weren't listed as available on this plane when you booked your tickets.

Originally Posted by pvn
he already told you, he wants half his money back.
I meant - What did the OP want Delta to do about it before leaving PUJ so they had AVOD for the flight. Seemingly nothing could have been done, if the aircraft that was scheduled for the flight didn't have it to begin with. Now, if it was scheduled to be a refurbished A320 - and they didn't get one - THAT would be a slightly different story.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
The truth of the matter is we are sitting in an old plane (Flight DL790) no prior notification from boarding regarding the lack of, inflight movie service or any TV’s at all and no WiFi (you had to download the app but couldn’t because you were in the air) as the not so friendly crew explained it.
Im confused on this point...first you say no entertainment and no wifi, BUT that there was an app to download...if they had the GoGo (whatever the streaming app is called) offered, then clearly there was entertainment and/or wifi? Something may have broken and thus the wifi was out? Which is unfortunate but given that these pleasure routes to Mexico are such are usually not the 'newest' planes and as was mentioned, they cant fix things like this at small airports. While its a bummer, it happens, you can file a complaint and get some compensation, but lets be honest....no one gives a hoot that you're gonna blast them on yelp or instagram or whatever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.