Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDQ > ATL > JFK Will I need to pass security in ATL again?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

I am flying SDQ to JFK with a pitstop in ATL

I only flew this route once and I can't remember if after immigration I would have to clear security again.

I want to buy some Hennesey White at the Duty-Free and if I have to clear security again I'll have to trash the bottles.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes you must go through TSA security, but you could put liquids into a checked bag after exiting customs and before rechecking your bags.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

I won't have any checked baggage So I guess no Hennesey white for me.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You could check a bag for only the domestic segment(s).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You could check a bag for only the domestic segment(s).
Good point. Delta did give me 7 free bags for the connecting flight! thanks for the idea.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:59 am

Seven free bags would be an awful lot of alcohol! It wouldn't fit into the overhead bin on board.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Seven free bags would be an awful lot of alcohol! It wouldn't fit into the overhead bin on board.
ha I don't even drink the stuff a co-worker begs me to bring him a bottle every time I come out here. But Delta gave me 7 free checked bags for this flight not sure why might be because of the schedule change.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:10 pm

TSA changed the guidelines on Duty Free purchases. Now, when clearing TSA on a domestic connection from an international flight you can bring your duty free purchase through security. Over the last few years I have had no trouble taking duty free bags through security in SFO when connecting from international flights. Here is the information on the TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.
seawolf and ijgordon like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Don’t you always have to clear security after an international arrival in the US? Are there some US airports where you can go straight to a connecting flight without going through a TSA checkpoint?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Don’t you always have to clear security after an international arrival in the US? Are there some US airports where you can go straight to a connecting flight without going through a TSA checkpoint?
Not always. If your flight originates from many Canadian cities, Ireland, Bahamas, UAE and a few more there is USA preclearance at the departure airport. When you arrive in the USA you go straight to your connecting flight as if you were on a strictly domestic itinerary.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by lbcnu
Not always. If your flight originates from many Canadian cities, Ireland, Bahamas, UAE and a few more there is USA preclearance at the departure airport. When you arrive in the USA you go straight to your connecting flight as if you were on a strictly domestic itinerary.
I should have clarified that I meant for international arrivals in which you go through immigration and customs in a US airport.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I should have clarified that I meant for international arrivals in which you go through immigration and customs in a US airport.
Then, AFAIK, if you have to go through customs and immigration, you have to reclear security. I don't know of any exceptions.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by arles
TSA changed the guidelines on Duty Free purchases. Now, when clearing TSA on a domestic connection from an international flight you can bring your duty free purchase through security. Over the last few years I have had no trouble taking duty free bags through security in SFO when connecting from international flights. Here is the information on the TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.
That is the official rules.

However IME, it is a hit or miss with the individual smurfs.
I just toss them in my checked bags to make sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.