FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   SDQ > ATL > JFK Will I need to pass security in ATL again? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1898728-sdq-atl-jfk-will-i-need-pass-security-atl-again.html)

HWGeeks Mar 14, 2018 7:43 am

SDQ > ATL > JFK Will I need to pass security in ATL again?

I am flying SDQ to JFK with a pitstop in ATL

I only flew this route once and I can't remember if after immigration I would have to clear security again.

I want to buy some Hennesey White at the Duty-Free and if I have to clear security again I'll have to trash the bottles.

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2018 7:47 am

Yes you must go through TSA security, but you could put liquids into a checked bag after exiting customs and before rechecking your bags.

HWGeeks Mar 14, 2018 7:54 am

I won't have any checked baggage :( So I guess no Hennesey white for me.

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2018 7:56 am

You could check a bag for only the domestic segment(s).

HWGeeks Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29523462)
You could check a bag for only the domestic segment(s).

Good point. Delta did give me 7 free bags for the connecting flight! thanks for the idea.

MSPeconomist Mar 14, 2018 7:59 am

Seven free bags would be an awful lot of alcohol! It wouldn't fit into the overhead bin on board.

HWGeeks Mar 14, 2018 8:03 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29523480)
Seven free bags would be an awful lot of alcohol! It wouldn't fit into the overhead bin on board.

ha I don't even drink the stuff a co-worker begs me to bring him a bottle every time I come out here. But Delta gave me 7 free checked bags for this flight not sure why might be because of the schedule change.

arles Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm

TSA changed the guidelines on Duty Free purchases. Now, when clearing TSA on a domestic connection from an international flight you can bring your duty free purchase through security. Over the last few years I have had no trouble taking duty free bags through security in SFO when connecting from international flights. Here is the information on the TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.

CarmenOM Mar 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Don’t you always have to clear security after an international arrival in the US? Are there some US airports where you can go straight to a connecting flight without going through a TSA checkpoint?

lbcnu Mar 14, 2018 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM (Post 29525037)
Don’t you always have to clear security after an international arrival in the US? Are there some US airports where you can go straight to a connecting flight without going through a TSA checkpoint?

Not always. If your flight originates from many Canadian cities, Ireland, Bahamas, UAE and a few more there is USA preclearance at the departure airport. When you arrive in the USA you go straight to your connecting flight as if you were on a strictly domestic itinerary.

CarmenOM Mar 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by lbcnu (Post 29525071)
Not always. If your flight originates from many Canadian cities, Ireland, Bahamas, UAE and a few more there is USA preclearance at the departure airport. When you arrive in the USA you go straight to your connecting flight as if you were on a strictly domestic itinerary.

I should have clarified that I meant for international arrivals in which you go through immigration and customs in a US airport.

lbcnu Mar 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM (Post 29525347)

I should have clarified that I meant for international arrivals in which you go through immigration and customs in a US airport.

Then, AFAIK, if you have to go through customs and immigration, you have to reclear security. I don't know of any exceptions.

tentseller Mar 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by arles (Post 29524921)
TSA changed the guidelines on Duty Free purchases. Now, when clearing TSA on a domestic connection from an international flight you can bring your duty free purchase through security. Over the last few years I have had no trouble taking duty free bags through security in SFO when connecting from international flights. Here is the information on the TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.

That is the official rules.

However IME, it is a hit or miss with the individual smurfs.
I just toss them in my checked bags to make sure.