Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WSJ Article “JFK Turf War”; Delta expansion plans, or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ Article “JFK Turf War”; Delta expansion plans, or not?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Austin787
DL will still have to compete against JetBlue, and indirectly against United's EWR hub. DL and AA may want to consider trading JFK terminals - DL takes over terminal 8 and AA moves to terminal 2. DL gets a relatively modern terminal with lots of room while AA consolidates its shrinking JFK ops into fewer gates, saving on costs.
If this where to happen, than who takes the RJ gates at the end of T4 B?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Last I checked, NRT has a pretty fast rail link to Tokyo, yet everybody prefers HND because not everyone wants to go to the train station. The same issue would doom any attempt to replace LAX with an airport out in Palmdale or wherever, no matter how fast you made the train.
The Narita rail link is not particularly fast--it's often just as fast to take a bus. Meanwhile, Haneda is also connected to the city by mass transit and the trip is often half the time of getting to Narita. So probably not the best example of having super fast rail to the remote airport.

Having said that, I'm not sure there's a great example of high speed rail working to make a remote airport super popular. In places like DC, NYC, Toronto or Rio where the farther out airports carry more passengers it's generally some combination of extremely limited capacity at the close-in airport along with artificial constraints on service.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The neighborhoods near airports are usually pretty bad. Exceptions being places like SNA or SMO. Why not just give those slumlords some money and tear down the eyesores and expand the airport?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
One of the really lousy things about JFK is that they can't legally start serving adult beverages until 8:00 am. Here New York is off the charts liberal, and they have this really stupid law on the books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.