Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WSJ Article “JFK Turf War”; Delta expansion plans, or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ Article “JFK Turf War”; Delta expansion plans, or not?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
[QUOTE=readywhenyouare;29509071]It is really mind numbing that cities like ATL, SEA, DEN, etc can have world class airports with all concourses under the same roof but major cities like LA, DC, NYC, and Boston are just a mess of various terminals. They should be ashamed.[/QUOTE

I wish that LAX were more like JFK and really spread out. The way the terminal buildings are so close together creates so much vehicle congestion that you don't typically see at JFK.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It is really mind numbing that cities like ATL, SEA, DEN, etc can have world class airports with all concourses under the same roof but major cities like LA, DC, NYC, and Boston are just a mess of various terminals. They should be ashamed.
I think those airports were built in stages on a much more ad-hoc basis. In DCA's case, there is literally no room for expansion (although I'm fine with building further into the Potomac if need be).

JFK and LAX should both be bulldozed and rebuilt with an ATL-style layout, but those cities kind of need functional airports. There's no space to build new airports to replace them unfortunately.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I think those airports were built in stages on a much more ad-hoc basis. In DCA's case, there is literally no room for expansion (although I'm fine with building further into the Potomac if need be).

JFK and LAX should both be bulldozed and rebuilt with an ATL-style layout, but those cities kind of need functional airports. There's no space to build new airports to replace them unfortunately.

SoCal needs to do a better job of spreading out services. While there are smaller airports like SNA and BUR, the vast majority of the traffic flows through LAX. JFK, on the other hand, is well supported by LGA and EWR, and again, though the spread out terminals are annoying for connections, they do help alleviate congestion. LAX was just not designed to handle anywhere near the amount of pax that use it. Building bigger terminals will help, but until something is done to dramatically reduce land-side vehicle traffic, it will continue to be a bit of a nightmare.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
For LAX they should just build a new airport away from the city and link it by high-speed rail.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
For LAX they should just build a new airport away from the city and link it by high-speed rail.
LOL California already has enough disastrous high-speed rail projects.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by ND76
What exactly is awful about it, or more awful than other Delta terminals? It is not intrinsically worse than, say, the Delta concourse at DCA, or Pier D at BWI; for that matter, it is not intrinsically worse than the Delta operations at PHX, PBI or FLL, or for that matter, SFO (leaving the beautiful new club there aside). The SkyClub there is somewhat interesting in that one can sit in the back and have an open air look at the departure gates; also, the men's room there is much more spacious than the club at DCA.

They clearly could put up a midfield terminal on the footprint of the former PanAm Worldport. The other thing the Big D could do is have an airside shuttle to Terminal A.
I'll preface this by saying that most peoples' problem with T4 (the long walk) is actually something I love. I don't ever connect in JFK (because I'm almost always coming/going from NYC), so for me it's an excuse to get a bit of walking and scenery compared to T2. I like ATL for the same reasons - I never take the Plane Train when I'm connecting there.

I dislike T2 immensely because it:

- Feels cramped compared to T4 (to me) - I'm gathering that this is, again, a good thing for some people. I hate it
- The SC has some of the most awful bathrooms compared to T4 / SFO / SEA and other of the nicer clubs in the system. Seriously, last year the toilet paper dispenser was broken and I could see into the stall next to me.
- Requires a walk outside to/from the AirTrain

I'd say the dining options are crap, but to be honest I usually make a beeline to the mediocre T2 SC food (which is consistently worse than T4 IME).

I get your comparison - sure, it's on par with FLL or PBI, but JFK isn't a Delta outstation. JFK is significantly more important than PBI or FLL to Delta, which I think T2 misses the mark on. LGAs clubs are nicer (sans showers)!

T4 isn't perfect either - the SC gets too cramped, and security can take a while (though IME with Pre Check I've never waited _too_ long)
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
It is really mind numbing that cities like ATL, SEA, DEN, etc can have world class airports with all concourses under the same roof but major cities like LA, DC, NYC, and Boston are just a mess of various terminals. They should be ashamed.
The last time I checked, you can access all the concourses under one roof at IAD and DCA. DCA is a very nice airport (minus the s***hole terminal that WN is in) and IAD isn't too bad unless you are flying on UA out of their "temporary concourse" that was built back in the 80s.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
SoCal needs to do a better job of spreading out services. While there are smaller airports like SNA and BUR, the vast majority of the traffic flows through LAX.
There is next to nothing that can be done to "spread out" air service. Short of actively restricting what flights can or can't operate from one airport or another, it simply can't be done. Of course, then we'd have complaints about restrictions at LAX (or SNA or BUR), much like we see about DCA, LGA, and (for the longest time) DAL. At best, you will get some budget-conscious airlines willing to use secondary or tertiary airports, but aside from the most cost-conscious LCCs (like Ryanair), many are just biding their time until they can get into the primary airport.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
There is next to nothing that can be done to "spread out" air service. Short of actively restricting what flights can or can't operate from one airport or another, it simply can't be done. Of course, then we'd have complaints about restrictions at LAX (or SNA or BUR), much like we see about DCA, LGA, and (for the longest time) DAL. At best, you will get some budget-conscious airlines willing to use secondary or tertiary airports, but aside from the most cost-conscious LCCs (like Ryanair), many are just biding their time until they can get into the primary airport.

Why is this the case? (honest question). When other huge regions like NYC and London are able to utilize 2-3 airports, even if there is one that is the main central one, why can't that work in LA?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
LOL California already has enough disastrous high-speed rail projects.
Last I checked, NRT has a pretty fast rail link to Tokyo, yet everybody prefers HND because not everyone wants to go to the train station. The same issue would doom any attempt to replace LAX with an airport out in Palmdale or wherever, no matter how fast you made the train.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:57 am

Why is this the case? (honest question). When other huge regions like NYC and London are able to utilize 2-3 airports, even if there is one that is the main central one, why can't that work in LA?
The density of the population and the value of land. SoCal had a opportunity with the closure of MCAS ElToro to have a great secondary airport but decided to build soccer fields instead after residents in the area complained about noise and traffic.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hub efficiencies, for one. Carriers with hubs at LAX (and that's AA, DL and still sort-of UA) prefer to aggregate traffic for onward connections in both directions, both TPAC and intra-USA.

Aircraft efficiencies, a second. Cost per available seat mile (CASM) generally declines with bigger aircraft. It's cheaper for Delta to run a 757 to LAX than it is a 319 to LAX and an E75 to Burbank. To the extent that people will pay a premium to avoid LA road traffic by flying into Burbank, SNA, and ONT, Delta will indulge them.

Your London and NYC examples are pretty poor, actually. LHR and LGW have been facilities-capacity-constrained for decades. Carriers use Luton and Stansted because they have to, not because they may want to. The LaGuardia perimeter rule protected JFK. Neither LON nor NYC looks anything at all like a market allocation of flights across the respective region's airports.

Why does Delta alone from Atlanta have 217 non-stop destinations, and all 74 scheduled carriers to New York's JFK, LGA, EWR, SWF, and ACY combined have only 230? Hub and aircraft efficiencies.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf-t...G_DEC_2017.pdf

Break up LAX traffic and hobble the region. (Yes, they should have had a direct Metro line from Airport to downtown three decades ago.)

Last edited by 3Cforme; Mar 11, 2018 at 10:26 am
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Sadly with AA likely to de-hub JFK sooner rather than later, DL has no motivation to make significant further improvements. They own the NYC market for now.
DL will still have to compete against JetBlue, and indirectly against United's EWR hub. DL and AA may want to consider trading JFK terminals - DL takes over terminal 8 and AA moves to terminal 2. DL gets a relatively modern terminal with lots of room while AA consolidates its shrinking JFK ops into fewer gates, saving on costs.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
DL will still have to compete against JetBlue, and indirectly against United's EWR hub. DL and AA may want to consider trading JFK terminals - DL takes over terminal 8 and AA moves to terminal 2. DL gets a relatively modern terminal with lots of room while AA consolidates its shrinking JFK ops into fewer gates, saving on costs.
Is there an airside connector between T8 and T7? If so I think that would be a better solution for Delta. Delta takes T8 and T7. AA moves to T2 and T7 residents move to T4.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Is there an airside connector between T8 and T7?
Nope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.