Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change of rules on which flights are catered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990

I was on a redeye from LAS-ATL this past week.. and thought at least FC would have some sort of meal. Thought about looking for the
food for purchase menu, but that was not to be found. On most of the cross country flights I have taken there was dinner service -but not now.

Has something changed recently?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:40 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Meal service depends on time of departure for flights between 900 and (IIRC) 2000 miles.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
There was never anything but a snack basket on a red eye out of LAS to ATL as long as I have been flying DL which is about 5 years.
silverthief2 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I have never had a meal in FC on any domestic flight after a scheduled departure time of 9pm. Only the transcon D1 flights offer food after 9pm.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta
No matter where you're going, NONE of the red eyes have a full meal. Unless you count alcohol and snacks as a meal.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Just flew HNL-SLC which is a 10 pm departure.

Choice of chicken breast over quinoa salad or 2 hamburger sliders with toppings on the side, a ramekin of potato salad, and a dancing deer cookie with each option.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by heckler
I was on a redeye from LAS-ATL this past week.. and thought at least FC would have some sort of meal. Thought about looking for the
food for purchase menu, but that was not to be found. On most of the cross country flights I have taken there was dinner service -but not now.

Has something changed recently?
I do that LAS-ATL redeye in F a half dozen times a year and have never once seen a meal. It is lights out from push back to landing with a snack basket walk through and lots and lots of booze for anyone who is awake .

On a related note, I've arrived at ATL slightly inebriated more than a few times after that particular flight. The FAs are usually super attentive to the 2 or 3 people in F who remain awake.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have flown red eyes from SEA, SFO, SJC, and LAX in the past 2 years and it has always been the snack basket only.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Thanks guys.. good information.. I was unaware of distance AND time calculus used to delineate when food is served.

Is it because most people zonk out and dont care about food? Why should the time of departure matter? Surely catering/sky chef
is open for business..
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heckler
Thanks guys.. good information.. I was unaware of distance AND time calculus used to delineate when food is served.

Is it because most people zonk out and dont care about food? Why should the time of departure matter? Surely catering/sky chef
is open for business..
Yes, most people have already had dinner and just want to sleep. These flights aren't that long compared to international flights, so the time you spend eating will cut into the amount of sleep you can get.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Vegas Vegan
No matter where you're going, NONE of the red eyes have a full meal. Unless you count alcohol and snacks as a meal.
This is not true in at least 4 categories:

1) All Delta One cabins, including domestic, offer meal service on all flights regardless of timing

2) All international flights (except for some Canada, some Mexico & Caribbean) offer a meal in all cabins regardless of timing

2) All of the 12 domestic routes that, as of last March, offer complimentary coach meal service also include a dinner service in the first class cabin, including on red eye flights (like SAN-JFK, SEA-BOS and SEA-FLL). See full list here: https://news.delta.com/delta-debuts-...als-12-markets

4) Most Hawaii and Alaska flights include meal service in first class, regardless of the time, though it may be a lighter meal on red eye flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.