Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX or SEA to NRT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

PDX or SEA to NRT

I have a trip coming up and I have the option of SLC-SEA-NRT-GUM or SLC-PDX-NRT-GUM. Both economy prices are the same but D1 is about 4K cheaper going through PDX. I also have GUCs I could use. Just some thought from folks who have flown this route recently, how is PDX to NRT. Last time I did it was through LAX in D1 and it was ok.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
AFAIK, both routes are using the same plane (767) and the same type of 767, so I'd go with price.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
The SEA DL lounge in A is far and away the best in the US but you will likely be departing from the S gates.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
For lounge, hands down SEA is better - it isn't even close. On the return trip, only SEA has showers, as well.

For the flight itself, I find the two almost identical, though. About the same length, crews are equally good, Japanese meal catering is about the same in Delta One.

SEA flights do tend to be fuller. Good if you're gunning for a VDB, bad if you are hoping for some empty neighboring seats to move to.

SEA occasionally gets equipment swaps to better airplanes, if they need to rotate back from asia. Less likely now that NRT isn't really a hub anymore though.

If your layover is long enough to leave the airport, I like PDX a little more - I can always kill any random amount of time Delta gives me at Powell's or in the amazing PDX restaurant and bar scene, and MAX is easy to navigate (if a bit slow).
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andyh64000
The SEA DL lounge in A is far and away the best in the US but you will likely be departing from the S gates.
It's only 10-15 mins from A to S, so I use the A lounge pretty much exclusively. (Local tip: walk to the subway tram station at the end of the B gates. It's actually faster than walking to the A gate station, getting on and riding to the B station before riding on to the S station.)

Also, PDX Skyclub only serves beer and wine, so no cocktails if that's your cup of tea.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by BenA
For lounge, hands down SEA is better - it isn't even close.
Originally Posted by anon2k2
PDX Skyclub only serves beer and wine, so no cocktails...
In what world are these factors worth $4,000?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220

Then again, if OP is even considering paying $4K more for an (almost) equivalent routing, then it might be important to them I would book the PDX connection and then potentially swap in case of IRROPS or skd change
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

I booked through PDX. I'm trying to figure out why there's such a difference in cost. Only thing I can think is SEA is a much larger hub from the east coast.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fsnco1
I booked through PDX. I'm trying to figure out why there's such a difference in cost. Only thing I can think is SEA is a much larger hub from the east coast.
Using Google Flights, I see many, many dates where the SEA routing is in the $4K range for a roundtrip ticket. It just sounds like the particular dates you are looking at just happen to have limited availability on the SEA-NRT flight. You can't really draw any profound conclusions based on a single search for a single set of dates.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:28 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by LBJ
Using Google Flights, I see many, many dates where the SEA routing is in the $4K range for a roundtrip ticket. It just sounds like the particular dates you are looking at just happen to have limited availability on the SEA-NRT flight. You can't really draw any profound conclusions based on a single search for a single set of dates.
Adding to this, you may find that SEA prices drop on your dates as Delta adjusts fare bucket inventory. This is more likely if the flights are not soon and not very full.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:41 am

As a long time observer of the world, and as a trained Economist, I have learned never to make assumptions about utility functions in constrained maximization problems.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
As a long time observer of the world, and as a trained Economist, I have learned never to make assumptions about utility functions in constrained maximization problems.
But you do know most of the utility for comparison in this case.

So the Jeopardy daily double is.
I spent an extra $4000 just to be in SEA-TAC.

The answer
What is a hot chic I'm trying to ask out.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
But you do know most of the utility for comparison in this case.

So the Jeopardy daily double is.
I spent an extra $4000 just to be in SEA-TAC.

The answer
What is a hot chic I'm trying to ask out.
This reminds me of the conversation I had with my son when he was home on break during his freshman year of college. All of a sudden he was interested in "borrowing" my hiking equipment for an overnight hike. This, from a kid who thought playing wrestling games on his Playstation was exercise.

"OK, who's the girl?"

Just a red face, no answer.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:15 am

MQD run?

But seriously I had the exact same reaction...the SkyClub in PDX could be in a pole barn across the tarmac and serve only warm Bud Light and cold pizza rolls and I'd still go through PDX to save $4K!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:15 am

This reminds me of the conversation I had with my son when he was home on break during his freshman year of college. All of a sudden he was interested in "borrowing" my hiking equipment for an overnight hike. This, from a kid who thought playing wrestling games on his Playstation was exercise.

"OK, who's the girl?"

Just a red face, no answer.
But did you lend him the gear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.