Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Priority

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Military Priority

Today, for the first time (on 2 different flights), I heard military folks given boarding priority along with folks with young children -- ahead of the various elite denominations. I'm not complaining - just noting that this seems to be a new policy.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by ProfRB
Today, for the first time (on 2 different flights), I heard military folks given boarding priority along with folks with young children -- ahead of the various elite denominations. I'm not complaining - just noting that this seems to be a new policy.
Yes, that happens. If necessary, adjust your behavior accordingly.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM GM , Marriott-Platinum Premier+Lifetime , Hilton-Blue, Nat'l-Emerald Club Executive Elite
Yes I noticed it on one of my two recent flights too.

I applaud this move by Delta...I am please to allow our military men and women board first!
nogophers and awayIgo like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I noticed this was posted yesterday by OHDL1 in the "Moderator / Premature Evac" thread. Seems like it should have had its own thread!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29361873-post1816.html
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
How it should be imo
DAL-767 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by ProfRB
Outstanding. Now I won't have to get the stink eye because I did not offer up my FC seat to someone in the military. Bravo Delta, Bravo.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I noticed this was posted yesterday by OHDL1 in the "Moderator / Premature Evac" thread. Seems like it should have had its own thread!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29361873-post1816.html
With no ID checks required, I'm waiting for this to be abused. Compare to ESAs which at least require minimal documentation and cost.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With no ID checks required, I'm waiting for this to be abused. Compare to ESAs which at least require minimal documentation and cost.
The 2 boarding calls I heard were for "active duty", so I would think they would be in uniform. Anyone know military protocol?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by nogophers
The 2 boarding calls I heard were for "active duty", so I would think they would be in uniform. Anyone know military protocol?
Most military folks I know do not travel in uniform since drinking would be frowned upon.
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
The rule of thumb

Originally Posted by nogophers
Generally travel should be in civilian clothes because you want to reduce your profile for personal security and opsec reasons. That said, I know that a lot of trainees tend to travel in uniform as do many that rotate to/from deployments.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:48 pm

I have always heard over the gate intercom something to the effect of, "Any military in uniform. . ." etc. So this does not apply to us who are in civilian clothes. And over the years there has been more demand on the reserves and National Guard to assist Active Duty so there are more and more of us weekend warriors (not Active Duty) fulfilling our duty these days.

A couple notes on the wearing of the uniform from an Army perspective:

1. These traveling service members may be returning from a stint in the ME and are going home for the first time in many months, after a combination of several hardships (family separation for upwards of a year or more, living conditions, the food!!!!, bad guys), etc.
2. Service members also could be traveling to and from locations within the US but are required to wear the uniform based on unit policy.
3. In my 32 years of uniform wearing it is my experience that most of us would rather not be in uniform in such a public setting unless it was a group thing, or in my case sometimes, I'm in a rush and do not have time to change!

Last edited by kaliimc; Feb 1, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by motytrah
Most military folks I know do not travel in uniform since drinking would be frowned upon.
If on active duty, I thought service people had to be in uniform?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
I have always heard over the gate intercom something to the effect of, "Any military in uniform. . ." etc. So this does not apply to us who are in civilian clothes.

kaliimc: I just flew out of HNL Monday and the announcement was ".... military....in...or not in...uniform..."
kaliimc likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Last flight I heard “all active duty, former
military, and veterans” so like all DL policies I am sure it’s just up to the GA on what they feel like doing.
kaliimc likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
When performing your duties

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
If on active duty, I thought service people had to be in uniform?
then, yes, you are in the uniform of the day or something appropriate for what you are doing (e.g. UOD may be a short sleeve uniform but you need to go to a function where service dress is appropriate). I spent a significant part of my time (~25%) in civilian clothes.

My experience was that travel in civilian clothes was the norm. There was a time in the Air Force when traveling in uniform was mandated (the CSAF viewed it as a public engagement activity) but that did not last too long.
kaliimc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.