FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Military Priority (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1891730-military-priority.html)

ProfRB Feb 1, 2018 12:49 pm

Military Priority

Today, for the first time (on 2 different flights), I heard military folks given boarding priority along with folks with young children -- ahead of the various elite denominations. I'm not complaining - just noting that this seems to be a new policy.

Allan38103 Feb 1, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB (Post 29367864)
Today, for the first time (on 2 different flights), I heard military folks given boarding priority along with folks with young children -- ahead of the various elite denominations. I'm not complaining - just noting that this seems to be a new policy.

Yes, that happens. If necessary, adjust your behavior accordingly.

DAL-767 Feb 1, 2018 1:01 pm

Yes I noticed it on one of my two recent flights too.

I applaud this move by Delta...I am please to allow our military men and women board first!

davetravels Feb 1, 2018 1:36 pm

I noticed this was posted yesterday by OHDL1 in the "Moderator / Premature Evac" thread. Seems like it should have had its own thread! :)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29361873-post1816.html

turnpike17 Feb 1, 2018 1:53 pm

How it should be imo

flying_donkeys12 Feb 1, 2018 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB (Post 29367864)

Outstanding. Now I won't have to get the stink eye because I did not offer up my FC seat to someone in the military. Bravo Delta, Bravo.

MSPeconomist Feb 1, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 29368081)
I noticed this was posted yesterday by OHDL1 in the "Moderator / Premature Evac" thread. Seems like it should have had its own thread! :)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29361873-post1816.html

With no ID checks required, I'm waiting for this to be abused. Compare to ESAs which at least require minimal documentation and cost.

nogophers Feb 1, 2018 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29368547)
With no ID checks required, I'm waiting for this to be abused. Compare to ESAs which at least require minimal documentation and cost.

The 2 boarding calls I heard were for "active duty", so I would think they would be in uniform. Anyone know military protocol?

motytrah Feb 1, 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by nogophers (Post 29368554)
The 2 boarding calls I heard were for "active duty", so I would think they would be in uniform. Anyone know military protocol?

Most military folks I know do not travel in uniform since drinking would be frowned upon.

No_Name Feb 1, 2018 3:41 pm

The rule of thumb

Originally Posted by nogophers (Post 29368554)

Generally travel should be in civilian clothes because you want to reduce your profile for personal security and opsec reasons. That said, I know that a lot of trainees tend to travel in uniform as do many that rotate to/from deployments.

kaliimc Feb 1, 2018 3:48 pm

I have always heard over the gate intercom something to the effect of, "Any military in uniform. . ." etc. So this does not apply to us who are in civilian clothes. And over the years there has been more demand on the reserves and National Guard to assist Active Duty so there are more and more of us weekend warriors (not Active Duty) fulfilling our duty these days.

A couple notes on the wearing of the uniform from an Army perspective:

1. These traveling service members may be returning from a stint in the ME and are going home for the first time in many months, after a combination of several hardships (family separation for upwards of a year or more, living conditions, the food!!!!, bad guys), etc.
2. Service members also could be traveling to and from locations within the US but are required to wear the uniform based on unit policy.
3. In my 32 years of uniform wearing it is my experience that most of us would rather not be in uniform in such a public setting unless it was a group thing, or in my case sometimes, I'm in a rush and do not have time to change!

DavidDTW Feb 1, 2018 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 29368606)
Most military folks I know do not travel in uniform since drinking would be frowned upon.

If on active duty, I thought service people had to be in uniform?

lking Feb 1, 2018 4:19 pm

I have always heard over the gate intercom something to the effect of, "Any military in uniform. . ." etc. So this does not apply to us who are in civilian clothes.

kaliimc: I just flew out of HNL Monday and the announcement was ".... military....in...or not in...uniform..."

vincentharris Feb 1, 2018 5:05 pm

Last flight I heard “all active duty, former
military, and veterans” so like all DL policies I am sure it’s just up to the GA on what they feel like doing.

No_Name Feb 1, 2018 5:12 pm

When performing your duties

Originally Posted by DavidDTW (Post 29368778)
If on active duty, I thought service people had to be in uniform?

then, yes, you are in the uniform of the day or something appropriate for what you are doing (e.g. UOD may be a short sleeve uniform but you need to go to a function where service dress is appropriate). I spent a significant part of my time (~25%) in civilian clothes.

My experience was that travel in civilian clothes was the norm. There was a time in the Air Force when traveling in uniform was mandated (the CSAF viewed it as a public engagement activity) but that did not last too long.