Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMS routes: Condition of Business cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M

Looking to fly AMS-SEA and PDX-AMS in Delta Business class. I have never flown with Delta before.
Aircraft used for these routes seem to be A330 according to seatguru, or B737 according to Google.
Can anyone comment on what condition the seats and cabin will likely be in?
Do Delta run their old planes on these routes, or might there be a chance of a refurbed plane?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mikem004
Looking to fly AMS-SEA and PDX-AMS in Delta Business class. I have never flown with Delta before.
Aircraft used for these routes seem to be A330 according to seatguru, or B737 according to Google.
Do Delta run their old planes on these routes, or might there be a chance of a refurbed plane?
You won't be on a 737, that's for sure. PDX-AMS is probably on a 767, which you'll want to avoid. That aircraft has DL's worst and most worn-out business class product.

I'd go for the A330 out of SEA. Those seats are nice, and relatively fresh.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mikem004
Delta's A330s have a great business cabin, some would say the best, which is the exact opposite of KLM's A330s. 737s aren't used on these routes, they'd never make it TATL.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Yup, the A330 from SEA is an excellent product and you'll enjoy it very much.

The 767 is a little sketchier. It's still fine, but not as competitive as it once was by any means - smaller seat areas and the seats are starting to wear a bit. It's not so bad that I'd double connect to avoid it in most cases, though.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
A330 is their best product. You will really enjoy that. 767 is better than most airlines world wide, but agreed, it's not latest and greatest. I flew CVG - CDG in D1 on 767 and had a good experience.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:14 am

Seatguru is worthless nowadays and should not be relied on. Google flights will not be quite as accurate as Delta, but pretty close. Go directly to Delta's website for the most accurate aircraft for the route and time. If its your first time in Delta J, you probably would not mind the 767, because you don't know what you are missing. The A330 is a far superior product. The seat is much more spacious.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BA DL
Originally Posted by WWads
. PDX-AMS is probably on a 767, which you'll want to avoid. That aircraft has DL's worst and most worn-out business class product.
The 767 is used in the winter months. PDX-AMS changes back to a 333 end of March. I'm booked D1 in April. The 333 PDX-AMS are reasonable cabins, I live in PDX and fly home to the UK quite often via AMS, and find the cabin and service good.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
FWIW, just because this is an opinion that nobody seems to express:

I love the 767 Business cabin if (and only if) I can get an odd-numbered window seats. I'm not a big guy, so the slightly smaller seat profile doesn't bother me, and I really enjoy the privacy and storage space.

I'm not saying I would choose that over the 330, where every seat is great, but it would definitely be net-neutral to me.
RaflW likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
My apologies.
DL170 PDX-AMS is a 767 (at the moment).
DL143 AMS-SEA is A330 (at the moment).
I plan to travel in early May. None of the comments here have been really bad, so I'll go ahead and book it.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
FWIW, just because this is an opinion that nobody seems to express:

I love the 767 Business cabin if (and only if) I can get an odd-numbered window seats. I'm not a big guy, so the slightly smaller seat profile doesn't bother me, and I really enjoy the privacy and storage space.

I'm not saying I would choose that over the 330, where every seat is great, but it would definitely be net-neutral to me.
I agree with this. Overall, I prefer the 330, but the 767 seats do feel more secluded, which can be nice for the overnight flight. And I am big, or at least tall. I still fit in the 767 in lie-flat mode and even think they're a little more comfortable despite being smaller than the 330.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
PDX-AMS is probably on a 767, which you'll want to avoid. That aircraft has DL's worst and most worn-out business class product.
Worst, perhaps. However, in terms of "worn out" the 777 currently has the oldest J cabin in the fleet (though updates are about to start), followed by the 767-400, then 767-300, then A330, then 757, then A350. I believe it would be the 767-300 on this route which was last updated about 8 years ago.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I don't mind the 767s, the seats are fairly comfortable for me (especially the row 1 windows) and it's still far better than coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.