Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP closed due to snow - glad I switched flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat

So Sunday I saw that MSP was lined up for a major snow storm on Monday and a Weather Waiver issued. Since I usually do not have to worry about them and travelling with an FO, and we were booked PSC-SEA-MSP-SAT, I was not sure if there would be a fare difference charged, I postponed doing anything about it till Monday. Got to SEA and our flight to MSP was delayed over an hour (but still a long connection) so I called the Diamond Line and they rebooked us through SLC for free arriving in SAT 3 hours later. The SEA-MSP flight got diverted to MCI and our MSP-SAT flight got cancelled. My expectation is that if we stayed on the MSP flight, we would have been stuck in MSP for who knows how many days without a hotel due to everyone else booking them first. Overall, looks like I made a good call.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's bad out here: More than 350 flights have been cancelled at MSP and average delays are reported to be about six hours.The two main runways have been closed for most of the delay and the alternate "crosswind" runways must be closed for plowing every half hour or so. Road travel isn't advised to the southwestern part of the state, starting not much more than ten miles from the airport.

OTOH, if you had been stranded here, the airport does have a big supply of cots and blankets to bring out and SCs have been known to stay open for delayed flights.
jeffgerst2407 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I wonder if the waiver will be extended to tomorrow. It's an absolute mess out here and the snow is not stopping anytime soon.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's bad out here: More than 350 flights have been cancelled at MSP and average delays are reported to be about six hours.The two main runways have been closed for most of the delay and the alternate "crosswind" runways must be closed for plowing every half hour or so. Road travel isn't advised to the southwestern part of the state, starting not much more than ten miles from the airport.

OTOH, if you had been stranded here, the airport does have a big supply of cots and blankets to bring out and SCs have been known to stay open for delayed flights.
Wow you know it's a bad storm when MSP closes all the runways. Paging Joe Patroni.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK the airport isn't closed, nor are all runways closed. The situation is that they're forced to use the alternative crosswinds runways, which have lower capacity, Moreover, each one must be closed for plowing about every half hour (probably until late this evening, although there was some hope of being able to switch to the main runways around 7 this evening), so that there's only one runway to use most of the time. Hence the delays and cancellations.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Wow....can not wait to hear from several members of this forum how well MSP handles 3 inches of snow...

from Twitter,

Due to worsening weather conditions and resulting runway closures at MSP, 425 mainline and Delta Connection regional flights have been cancelled Monday. Conditions are expected to improve tomorrow as the storm passes.
DiverDave, OHDL1, manacit and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Twitter update:

The Minneapolis-St.Paul International airport has halted all arrivals this evening due to weather conditions at the airport. Departures for remaining flights from @MSPairport will start at 7 p.m. CT, pending an assessment of the facilities.

And all over 3 inches of snow....
DiverDave and OHDL1 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Well neither FR24 nor PlaneFinder are showing any flights inbound or outbound, so I believe that MSP is closed!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:39 pm

A flight to MSP diverted to Grand Forks and TATLK arrivals are being sent to DTW.

BTW, a Sun Country flight (IIRC from Florida) diverted to St Cloud. I hadn't realized that STC could handle mainline aircraft.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by audidudi
Well neither FR24 nor PlaneFinder are showing any flights inbound or outbound, so I believe that MSP is closed!
flightaware is showing SCX588 inbound from CUN.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by LBJ
flightaware is showing SCX588 inbound from CUN.
Yes I just saw that after my last post! And it just landed there! I wonder why nothing else is operating then?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK the airport isn't closed, nor are all runways closed. The situation is that they're forced to use the alternative crosswinds runways, which have lower capacity, Moreover, each one must be closed for plowing about every half hour (probably until late this evening, although there was some hope of being able to switch to the main runways around 7 this evening), so that there's only one runway to use most of the time. Hence the delays and cancellations.
Per the MSP twitter all runways have closed on at least two occasions today. Looks like one is operational as of 15 minutes ago:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mspairpor...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Everyone stay safe!

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I rebooked this morning for a noon flight tomorrow. I was originally scheduled to fly out at 5:59 today for SFO. The inbound from ATL was finally canceled and the new inbound aircraft apparently arrived from LAX over a week ago.

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
MSP has received 9.3 inches of snow as of 6 PM local time, so I can't tell if this whole "three inches" thing is sarcasm.
flyer4512, jjmiller69 and Lehava like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Twitter update:

The Minneapolis-St.Paul International airport has halted all arrivals this evening due to weather conditions at the airport. Departures for remaining flights from @MSPairport will start at 7 p.m. CT, pending an assessment of the facilities.

And all over 3 inches of snow....
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
MSP has received 9.3 inches of snow as of 6 PM local time, so I can't tell if this whole "three inches" thing is sarcasm.
I'm about 20 miles SE of MSP and I've gotten well over a foot of snow so far and it's still coming down heavy.
flyer4512 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.