FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   MSP closed due to snow - glad I switched flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1889883-msp-closed-due-snow-glad-i-switched-flights.html)

Paplover Jan 22, 2018 4:40 pm

MSP closed due to snow - glad I switched flights

So Sunday I saw that MSP was lined up for a major snow storm on Monday and a Weather Waiver issued. Since I usually do not have to worry about them and travelling with an FO, and we were booked PSC-SEA-MSP-SAT, I was not sure if there would be a fare difference charged, I postponed doing anything about it till Monday. Got to SEA and our flight to MSP was delayed over an hour (but still a long connection) so I called the Diamond Line and they rebooked us through SLC for free arriving in SAT 3 hours later. The SEA-MSP flight got diverted to MCI and our MSP-SAT flight got cancelled. My expectation is that if we stayed on the MSP flight, we would have been stuck in MSP for who knows how many days without a hotel due to everyone else booking them first. Overall, looks like I made a good call.

MSPeconomist Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

It's bad out here: More than 350 flights have been cancelled at MSP and average delays are reported to be about six hours.The two main runways have been closed for most of the delay and the alternate "crosswind" runways must be closed for plowing every half hour or so. Road travel isn't advised to the southwestern part of the state, starting not much more than ten miles from the airport.

OTOH, if you had been stranded here, the airport does have a big supply of cots and blankets to bring out and SCs have been known to stay open for delayed flights.

bretthexum Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm

I wonder if the waiver will be extended to tomorrow. It's an absolute mess out here and the snow is not stopping anytime soon.

cerealmarketer Jan 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29326442)
It's bad out here: More than 350 flights have been cancelled at MSP and average delays are reported to be about six hours.The two main runways have been closed for most of the delay and the alternate "crosswind" runways must be closed for plowing every half hour or so. Road travel isn't advised to the southwestern part of the state, starting not much more than ten miles from the airport.

OTOH, if you had been stranded here, the airport does have a big supply of cots and blankets to bring out and SCs have been known to stay open for delayed flights.

Wow you know it's a bad storm when MSP closes all the runways. Paging Joe Patroni.

MSPeconomist Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm

AFAIK the airport isn't closed, nor are all runways closed. The situation is that they're forced to use the alternative crosswinds runways, which have lower capacity, Moreover, each one must be closed for plowing about every half hour (probably until late this evening, although there was some hope of being able to switch to the main runways around 7 this evening), so that there's only one runway to use most of the time. Hence the delays and cancellations.

longing4piedmont Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Wow....can not wait to hear from several members of this forum how well MSP handles 3 inches of snow...

from Twitter,

Due to worsening weather conditions and resulting runway closures at MSP, 425 mainline and Delta Connection regional flights have been cancelled Monday. Conditions are expected to improve tomorrow as the storm passes.

longing4piedmont Jan 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Twitter update:

The Minneapolis-St.Paul International airport has halted all arrivals this evening due to weather conditions at the airport. Departures for remaining flights from @MSPairport will start at 7 p.m. CT, pending an assessment of the facilities.

And all over 3 inches of snow....

audidudi Jan 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Well neither FR24 nor PlaneFinder are showing any flights inbound or outbound, so I believe that MSP is closed!

MSPeconomist Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm

A flight to MSP diverted to Grand Forks and TATLK arrivals are being sent to DTW.

BTW, a Sun Country flight (IIRC from Florida) diverted to St Cloud. I hadn't realized that STC could handle mainline aircraft.

xliioper Jan 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by audidudi (Post 29326576)
Well neither FR24 nor PlaneFinder are showing any flights inbound or outbound, so I believe that MSP is closed!

flightaware is showing SCX588 inbound from CUN.

audidudi Jan 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 29326592)
flightaware is showing SCX588 inbound from CUN.

Yes I just saw that after my last post! And it just landed there! I wonder why nothing else is operating then?

apodo77 Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29326535)
AFAIK the airport isn't closed, nor are all runways closed. The situation is that they're forced to use the alternative crosswinds runways, which have lower capacity, Moreover, each one must be closed for plowing about every half hour (probably until late this evening, although there was some hope of being able to switch to the main runways around 7 this evening), so that there's only one runway to use most of the time. Hence the delays and cancellations.

Per the MSP twitter all runways have closed on at least two occasions today. Looks like one is operational as of 15 minutes ago:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mspairpor...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Everyone stay safe!

yohanson Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

I rebooked this morning for a noon flight tomorrow. I was originally scheduled to fly out at 5:59 today for SFO. The inbound from ATL was finally canceled and the new inbound aircraft apparently arrived from LAX over a week ago.

FlyerWx Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

MSP has received 9.3 inches of snow as of 6 PM local time, so I can't tell if this whole "three inches" thing is sarcasm.

yohanson Jan 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 29326568)
Twitter update:

The Minneapolis-St.Paul International airport has halted all arrivals this evening due to weather conditions at the airport. Departures for remaining flights from @MSPairport will start at 7 p.m. CT, pending an assessment of the facilities.

And all over 3 inches of snow....

Originally Posted by FlyerWx (Post 29326636)
MSP has received 9.3 inches of snow as of 6 PM local time, so I can't tell if this whole "three inches" thing is sarcasm.

I'm about 20 miles SE of MSP and I've gotten well over a foot of snow so far and it's still coming down heavy.