Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL International Check-In at Domestic Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL International Check-In at Domestic Terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:46 pm
21A

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL may ground handle AF/KL, but you're checked in via AF/KL systems. At least last time I asked, must checkin at international for AF/KL.
I don’t believe this is correct unless it changed recently. I checked in, with a bag, for an AF marketed and operated flight at ATL domestic sometime in 2019 maybe. Agent did not bat an eyelash.

With AF/KL it’s a particularly tightly integrated form of ground handling where DL departure control systems like SNAPP are used. Sometime before the check-in window opens, maybe 36-48h out, the operating carrier sends over the PNL (Passenger Name List) to be imported into Deltamatic. Each passenger that doesn’t already have a DL PNR (as they would if, say, connecting inbound on a DL flight or the AF/KL segment itself is DL ticketed or marketed) gets a shadow DL PNR just for check-in purposes. You’ll also notice that the BP is in Delta’s format and the AF and KL websites/apps will redirect to Delta’s for check-in. I think most of this is also the case where DL ground handles AM and VS, but I’m less certain on those (and just because both carriers operate doesn’t mean DL ground handles the JV partner, eg I believe they do not for AM in LAX).

You can see the same in reverse at AMS, where KL desks, kiosks and website handle DL/VS/AF/KL departures and you’d receive a KL-format boarding pass. I believe it’s similar in CDG but have not departed there on DL metal.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
At any rate, swhang, you should try it. MART will drop you off right there in the terminal a brief stroll to checkin. Go over there and see if they'll do it. If not, you'll just walk back and go outside to get on the International Terminal shuttle bus. No big deal, really--just allow some extra time in case.

Do report back.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:34 pm

My recent access with PreCheck and Clear at ATL Domestic was not good. Took a long time to get completely through, as they were a little understaffed with helpers to use the Clear machines. But the biggest delay was that they use the new scanners for the luggage. It took a long time for the luggage to get through. Maybe they have improved their skills by now, but going through "normal" Intl security would have been a fair amount quicker.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 21A
I don’t believe this is correct unless it changed recently. I checked in, with a bag, for an AF marketed and operated flight at ATL domestic sometime in 2019 maybe. Agent did not bat an eyelash.

With AF/KL it’s a particularly tightly integrated form of ground handling where DL departure control systems like SNAPP are used. Sometime before the check-in window opens, maybe 36-48h out, the operating carrier sends over the PNL (Passenger Name List) to be imported into Deltamatic. Each passenger that doesn’t already have a DL PNR (as they would if, say, connecting inbound on a DL flight or the AF/KL segment itself is DL ticketed or marketed) gets a shadow DL PNR just for check-in purposes. You’ll also notice that the BP is in Delta’s format and the AF and KL websites/apps will redirect to Delta’s for check-in. I think most of this is also the case where DL ground handles AM and VS, but I’m less certain on those (and just because both carriers operate doesn’t mean DL ground handles the JV partner, eg I believe they do not for AM in LAX).

You can see the same in reverse at AMS, where KL desks, kiosks and website handle DL/VS/AF/KL departures and you’d receive a KL-format boarding pass. I believe it’s similar in CDG but have not departed there on DL metal.
The agent may have had access to AF/KL system to do it. However unless ATL has changed and is different from elsewhere, the DL checkin system wasn't used. You get an AF/KL formated BP. Some of this has changed in last couple years.

AF/KL and DL have never had the level of checkin cooperation in US,, that they have at CDG/AMS. In fact DL doesn't even ground handle AF/KL at most USairports.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thought I'd share a data point from last week - we flew DL international ATL-GUA and had completed FlyReady, but alas were unable to use the self-service kiosks to print our bag tags in the domestic terminal. We were shuffsentled over to the 'special services/passenger assistance' SkyPriority area, which was a good 30 minute wait with it being backed up by folks with complex ticket issues. I wish the staff that end up taking bags at the self serve area could process international documents, but we were still sent to the other area. I imagine it may have been faster to hop on the bus to the international terminal...
lindros2 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:57 pm
21A

The agent may have had access to AF/KL system to do it. However unless ATL has changed and is different from elsewhere, the DL checkin system wasn't used. You get an AF/KL formated BP.
I remember thinking it was kind of a novelty, and sure enough, I was able to dig up a copy I'd saved... iirc there were some minor process differences, like no mobile/app boarding pass option, no standby list, and possibly no seat selection at check-in. I believe the then-fairly-new DL face recognition camera at the F boarding gate did work and spit out a receipt without having to scan the boarding pass.

Definitely agree that this is not the setup that's in place at most US stations. At terminal E in BOS recently DL counters seemed to be at the opposite end from AF/KL.

I have a vague memory that really long ago, nwa.com did handle check-in for all US-originating KL flights (including places that don't seem to have the joint ground handling now, like SFO) but certainly couldn't swear to it.

Last edited by 21A; Apr 14, 2022 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 21A
I remember thinking it was kind of a novelty, and sure enough, I was able to dig up a copy I'd saved... iirc there were some minor process differences, like no mobile/app boarding pass option, no standby list, and possibly no seat selection at check-in. I believe the then-fairly-new DL face recognition camera at the F boarding gate did work and spit out a receipt without having to scan the boarding pass.

Definitely agree that this is not the setup that's in place at most US stations. At terminal E in BOS recently DL counters seemed to be at the opposite end from AF/KL.

I have a vague memory that really long ago, nwa.com did handle check-in for all US-originating KL flights (including places that don't seem to have the joint ground handling now, like SFO) but certainly couldn't swear to it.

Yes NW did KLM back in the day. NW/KL were basically one company, even having a logo with both airline names on it. (I knew plenty of people that thought NW and KLM were one company)

My last KLM flight checkin from ATL was last year. I had a KLM style, not DL BP printed. I checked in person, not via OLCI.

? Did you check bags in at domestic end or just checkin for KLM/AF flight?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:17 am
21A

Did you check bags in at domestic end or just checkin for KLM/AF flight?
I did check in the bag at the domestic end. It sounds like the system side has changed since 2019 and they no longer use SNAPP/DL DCS which is probably what enabled that. I’ll be interested to hear a data point on whether it’s still possible!
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Thought I'd share a data point from last week - we flew DL international ATL-GUA and had completed FlyReady, but alas were unable to use the self-service kiosks to print our bag tags in the domestic terminal. We were shuffsentled over to the 'special services/passenger assistance' SkyPriority area, which was a good 30 minute wait with it being backed up by folks with complex ticket issues. I wish the staff that end up taking bags at the self serve area could process international documents, but we were still sent to the other area. I imagine it may have been faster to hop on the bus to the international terminal...
By chance was this 4/9 in the morning? I got shifted from the self check in to the special services line back to self check in and then to the self services. It went along with them being grossly understaffed. Poor form form dl. I successfully used fly ready and printed bag tags. But the agents refused to take my bags at the drop off counter saying that I needed to have another verification of my documents for my flight to Panama.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:51 pm

Ok I’m just wondering.

in July I had Aeromexico flight JFK-MZT booked through delta website.

my flight was 1:40 AM!!!
I had to wait for the Aeromexico counters to open to check in…. I wanted to get to sky club.

am I to understand I could have checked n for that flight at delta counter
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by emma dog
By chance was this 4/9 in the morning?
It was actually a couple days earlier on 4/7. Trouble was they had maybe 4 folks working the 'special services' desks, with it taking several minutes per customer depending on the issue...
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I gave this a try with AF operated, DL marketed flight from ATL to CDG. I went to domestic terminal to check in but was told that I need to go to the international terminal.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by duluthDL
I gave this a try with AF operated, DL marketed flight from ATL to CDG. I went to domestic terminal to check in but was told that I need to go to the international terminal.
Correct. You weren't flying DL. DL is only one that can checkin with at either end.

DL agents may man the positions, but they use AF system to check you in.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by duluthDL
you always check in with the operating airline of your first flight
Old Dec 24, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: VS Flying Club, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
you always check in with the operating airline of your first flight
Except at JFK where if you have SkyPriority on a Virgin Atlantic operated flight, you don't need to go to the Virgin Atlantic check-in area but can go the sepeate Sky Priority area which is handled by Delta in their area. Granted the signage does include Virgin Atlantic on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.