FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   ATL International Check-In at Domestic Terminal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1889622-atl-international-check-domestic-terminal.html)

atl runner Jan 21, 2018 8:18 am

ATL International Check-In at Domestic Terminal?

Hi Gang--is there any downside to checking in--including checking bags--at the ATL domestic terminal instead of the international one, for an international flight--not counting the train ride out to E or F?

jamiestr Jan 21, 2018 9:00 am

No there is not. I sometimes use the Domestic terminal for Int'l because they always have Pre-Check and Clear.

atl runner Jan 21, 2018 9:06 am

Originally Posted by jamiestr (Post 29320321)
No there is not. I sometimes use the Domestic terminal for Int'l because they always have Pre-Check and Clear.

Which are exactly the same reasons we are contemplating it, and--based on your comment--now will almost certainly do so. Thanks jamiestr.

pvn Jan 21, 2018 9:53 am

Assuming you're flying DL (or KL/AF) then no, there's no downside, the distinction is purely ornamental.

I believe you can also check in for VS flights on the domestic side but I'm not positive.

atl runner Jan 21, 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29320498)
Assuming you're flying DL (or KL/AF) then no, there's no downside, the distinction is purely ornamental.

I believe you can also check in for VS flights on the domestic side but I'm not positive.

This is for Delta.:)

KDHFlyer Jan 21, 2018 10:32 am

If you are going to be parking on the domestic side, be aware that when you return from your trip, your checked backs will go to baggage claim in the international terminal. To get back to your car, you'll have to take a shuttle back around to the domestic side.

exwannabe Jan 21, 2018 11:43 am

Originally Posted by KDHFlyer (Post 29320623)
If you are going to be parking on the domestic side, be aware that when you return from your trip, your checked backs will go to baggage claim in the international terminal. To get back to your car, you'll have to take a shuttle back around to the domestic side.

The groundside transportation is something that factors in, agreed. For me it is the main issue and outweighs security. But also adding to the mix is that many will not return international as they have US connections on the inbound.

And if parking off site, only some lots will serve International.

hotturnip Jan 21, 2018 1:11 pm

So let me get this straight: DL WILL allow you to check in for international flights in the domestic terminal? I was under the impression that they would tell you just to get your rear on the international terminal shuttle.

But surely this only includes DL operated flights, right? They wouldn't check you in for an AF flight--even on DL coded AF flights, your itinerary tells you to check in with AF.

pvn Jan 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip (Post 29321158)
So let me get this straight: DL WILL allow you to check in for international flights in the domestic terminal? I was under the impression that they would tell you just to get your rear on the international terminal shuttle.

But surely this only includes DL operated flights, right? They wouldn't check you in for an AF flight--even on DL coded AF flights, your itinerary tells you to check in with AF.

They will check you in for AF or KL flights. Why would they not? At ATL, DL checkin counters ARE AirFrance/KLM check-in counters.

hotturnip Jan 21, 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29321648)
They will check you in for AF or KL flights. Why would they not? At ATL, DL checkin counters ARE AirFrance/KLM check-in counters.

Well, they DO actually have separate counters, so I don't think you can say they're the same. I've always checked in for Air France at the Air France counter in the Int'l Terminal; it seems kind of pointless to have separate counters if DL can do it all. Have you actually done this, i.e., checked in for an Air France flight at the DL domestic counter?

atl runner Jan 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by KDHFlyer (Post 29320623)

Yes, we typically get rides to the airport for international travel, so not an issue. Thanks for thinking of it though.

Cory6188 Jan 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip (Post 29321976)
Well, they DO actually have separate counters, so I don't think you can say they're the same. I've always checked in for Air France at the Air France counter in the Int'l Terminal; it seems kind of pointless to have separate counters if DL can do it all. Have you actually done this, i.e., checked in for an Air France flight at the DL domestic counter?

I haven't done it at ATL, but at JFK at least, any DL agent can handle a KL check-in, even though KL does have separate counter space (I'm not sure why they bother, but there is a separate area). AF is in a separate terminal with their own staff at JFK, so I can't speak to that side of things.

ATLawyer Jan 22, 2018 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jamiestr (Post 29320321)

I often do just the opposite, use Int'l instead of Domestic because the security lines are way shorter. Even when Pre-Check is closed at Int'l, the regular line is way faster than Pre-Check on Domestic. The only reason I would consider (and have) using Domestic instead of Int'l is transportation (MARTA) is often easier to Domestic.

Eddie98 Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ATLawyer (Post 29324823)
I often do just the opposite, use Int'l instead of Domestic because the security lines are way shorter. Even when Pre-Check is closed at Int'l, the regular line is way faster than Pre-Check on Domestic. The only reason I would consider (and have) using Domestic instead of Int'l is transportation (MARTA) is often easier to Domestic.

First I don't get it why Pre-Check is closed. Only open for a few hours.
I agree the lines are shorter on regular security but having to take off shoes and get laptop out is a PITA for me. Now that I have Clear, I will only use domestic check it.
Now the new bin situation has certainly slowed things down.

arunhn Sep 3, 2019 11:05 am

Has anyone here checked in for an Air France operated international flight at the ATL Domestic terminal recently? I am on the ATL - CDG AF 681 flight next week and wanted to see if I can just checkin (including bags) at the domestic south terminal.

Thanks
Arun