Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming SkyMiles LAX <-> PPT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Redeeming SkyMiles LAX <-> PPT

Hi all,

Short version: Been banking SkyMiles for a few years for my 40th Birthday to Bora Bora in Nov '18. I have ~800k miles and I'm Gold Medallion status wise. Looking to go around Nov 17-25, 2018 (flexible). I thought being 300+ days out I would have better success. I've been dealing with Delta representatives for several hours this morning and haven't made much progress. I've tried all the various tips/tricks I've found on the interwebs, but no luck.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions for getting to PPT using SkyMiles? or am I SOL and just need to find a better way.

Thanks,
Nico
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
This route is operated by air france and it doesn't look they have any award availability on it on any date I looked at. So I think you might have to look at alternatives.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:01 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT!

Where are you starting? As mentioned, Delta doesn't fly to Tahiti but Air France and Air Tahiti Nui do - both from LAX. A quick look at Expertflyer indicates that there aren't any seats on either airline on your dates +/-3 days. I imagine it's a popular time given the holiday.

You can keep checking on Delta.com for Air France awards. Air Tahiti Nui isn't available on Delta.com so you will need to call or use Expertflyer to find space and then call.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Until a few years ago you could have booked this LAX-HNL-PPT on DL + HA, when DL still had redemptions for HA (other than from US49-HI). But, that is no more.

PPT award flights are probably like award hotels there. You need to book it right at the release time and you only have a few second window (if even that) to book it, as it's a battlefield and many others are trying to do the same. I know it is so for hotels. You need to load it up and book right away the moment it appears. If you are a minute late, it's gone - booked by someone else, and no more availability ever comes up. Not sure if it is so for AF flights (it is so for many other airlines, and definitely for hotels). You may be had a chance at the timeframe when AF releases availability, but 300 days out is too close in. You needed to do it at 331 days, at specific time of day (or night) when availability is released.

As the saying goes, "you snooze, you lose."

Last edited by RealHJ; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:13 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2.3MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by RealHJ

As the saying goes, "you snooze, you loose."
The saying is actually "You snooze, you lose."
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me guess, you are trying to do at during the Thanksgiving period?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Thanks all. I'm flying from LAX (I'm in SEA but can get to LAX easily enough so didnt want to complicate that part).
Yes, this is the end of November (22nd is Thanksgiving + my 40th).
I'll continue to keep my eye on flights in Expert Flyer and see if something pops up.

This is mostly my fault for assuming I wouldnt have any issues booking an award flight w/my SkyMiles.

Frustrating, because for 80k Flying Blue miles, I can easily book a RT flight LAX<->PPT on AF. I should have just focused on that. Oh well, hindsight 20/20.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
Any tips, tricks, suggestions for getting to PPT using SkyMiles? Or am I SOL and just need to find a better way.
Threads about reward flights to PPT come up every month or so, for various ffp's. Always difficult even the few airlines & routes that fly to/from PPT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fa%27a...tional_Airport.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:51 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Setup an alert in Expertflyer for award space on either TN or AF.

Frustrating, because for 80k Flying Blue miles, I can easily book a RT flight LAX<->PPT on AF. I should have just focused on that. Oh well, hindsight 20/20.
Looks like award space on AF is only available for Flying Blue elites.

If you are willing to spend money, LAX-PPT in AF Premium Economy on those dates is relatively reasonable ($1600), just $300 more than economy.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Setup an alert in Expertflyer for award space on either TN or AF.
I definitely did this already, thanks for the recommendation.

If you are willing to spend money, LAX-PPT in AF Premium Economy on those dates is relatively reasonable ($1600), just $300 more than economy.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards doing this and then figuring out what to do with my 817,351 Delta miles instead. :-

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by TTT
Yeah, I'm leaning towards doing this and then figuring out what to do with my 817,351 Delta miles instead. :-
Do you have a Delta Amex, or are you open to getting one? When you have one of the cards attached to your Skymiles account, you unlock the ability to pay-with-miles at $0.01:Skymile and you'll earn MQM/RDM for the long flight.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ith-miles.html
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Do you have a Delta Amex, or are you open to getting one? When you have one of the cards attached to your Skymiles account, you unlock the ability to pay-with-miles at $0.01:Skymile and you'll earn MQM/RDM for the long flight.
I have both the Platinum Amex + Platinum Business Amex Delta cards. However, you can't "pay with miles" on codeshare flights is what I was told by multiple Delta CS individuals. Also doesn't allow it when booking online.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:22 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ith-miles.html
Unfortunately not on non-Delta operated flights. From the T&Cs.
Eligible only on Delta and Delta Connection carrier-operated and ticketed flights booked at delta.com. Not available on other codeshare flights.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I definitely did this already, thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Partner flights are saver awards or unavailable, as is common across other U.S. FF programs. With fixed dates - and other financial commitments to make, so making flight plans within a week of desired travel is nail-biting - this is going to be a tough one.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I have both the Platinum Amex + Platinum Business Amex Delta cards. However, you can't "pay with miles" on codeshare flights is what I was told by multiple Delta CS individuals. Also doesn't allow it when booking online.
Oops! Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.