Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead etiquette question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by TheHorta

Heck with that! If you don’t know how to stow your bag properly to maximize bin space, I’m doing it for you, like it or not. Just like I’ll move your shopping cart for you if you’re blocking the isle or I’ll speak to your child if you allow them to rampage unchecked in an inappropriate setting.

I’ll even pull bags out and hand them to people after we land.

I’m a damn Luggage Ninja. It’s how I roll. ;-p
whoa! A genuine old fashioned buddinsky
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:12 am

Not to butt in here but...

It should be "buttinskie" unless you mean they're your new friend

Originally Posted by manstein58

whoa! A genuine old fashioned buddinsky
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by matgv
I fear that you were the one who committed the etiquette error. Since your bag was small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, that's where it should go. The overhead bins should be reserved for bags that are too large to be placed under a seat.
i check my bag and carry on a backpack. At 6-3 I don’t want it where my feet go. To date it has not been an issue but I only buy F tickets. I will be annoyed when I can’t use overhead so others can carry on 2-3 items.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jon_R

i check my bag and carry on a backpack. At 6-3 I don’t want it where my feet go. To date it has not been an issue but I only buy F tickets. I will be annoyed when I can’t use overhead so others can carry on 2-3 items.
It'd be extremely uncomfortable to place a bag under the seat and remove that foot space. I probably have to squeeze leg and feet and whole body in coach seat. If that ever happen to me, I possibly escalate the issue as reasonable accommodation of disability as no reduction of generally advertised seating space.

Re. OP, there is white and black and a lot of grey in between. JMHO, everyone should be respectful and considerate though not everyone is. Bottom line is you snooze you lose. Just treat such grey public sharing issue with level of importance in mind accordingly.

For rearranging cabin space, I don't mind people move my bag a little to make space as onus is on me not placing fragile items into public sharing space with expected impact during flight. What I don't like or agree is forcefully push and shove, or place heavy item or bag on top of my bag which may cause damage to content inside during turbulence. Overall travel experience becomes less and less pleasant than 10+ years ago when coach pax slept through transoceanic flight in empty row. You fought for that row then a little OHB space. Airline is smart to get us into biz fare and ff program benefits nowadays...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:40 pm

I'm sorry, but most of the responses on here make it plain that airlines need to change their policy to charging for carry-ons while making checked bags free. Its amazing how often in these threads people subscribe to this "FC-FS" idea. Yea, theoretically you are free to put your bag anywhere you want, but multiple occurences of people practicing their free-will leads to chaos.

Its simple (or at least it could be)...someone (the airlines in this case) need to start instituting a "carry-on" culture of best practices. If that means teaching everyone to use the OHB opposite your row or the OHB directly above, people need to stick to one thing. None of this "my seat is 25D but I'm putting it above 10C". They need to ingrain these practices into our brains by any means necessary. Gatecheck the crap out of people until you've scared them straight.

I'd be perfectly happy if they made carry-ons a perk for status/card holders and charged everyone else. I mean, geez, I'd rather that than watch people stuff open shopping bags, skateboards, and small purses up there. Most mortals (i.e. non-status holders) pay for convenience at every turn...early boarding, more legroom, etc. Why am I not being charged for the biggest conveniece of all? The convenience of not having to go to the baggage claim? Its backassward.

Just please stop with this "put it in any OHB in your class" stuff. That just leads problems.
FlyingNone and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Posters have been quick - and right - to note that security lines are a TSA function, not a carrier function.
I don't agree. Security has always been a partnership between the airlines and TSA, and DL provides staff at many airports to protect the Sky Priority security line, and so I don't see this any differently.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I use to be one of those people who would sit on the back of the plane asile seat (even though I love the window) put my carry on towards the front and as soon as the plane stopped out of my seat with a mad dash to see if I could get my bag before others stood up.

Then I got a better job and could pay for first.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by azeckel
I feel like if you travel enough to be wearing your brag tags, you should have a better understanding of geometry and know that rollaboards go wheels or handle first on the 3 side of the 717/MD88/MD90 aisle. Maybe that bin was already full, but what DM wouldn't be pushing to the front of the Prem boarding group anyway? Reason #4153 why I could never be a flight attendant: OCD over inefficient stowing of bags in the overhead. Far too many people are tetris-challenged or too self-centered to care.
Not all FAs are clued in though. I watched last week as an FA assisted a pax in stuffing a rollaboard in the wrong way (lengthways) on the two seat side of the plane, even though there was ample space just across the aisle on the 3 seat side.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
And lack of carryon enforcement. When you see people routinely board with 3-4 carryon items and put all of them in the bin, it substantially adds to an already bad problem.
To be honest, I NEVER see people get away with this. Why do I know? Because I'm one of those knuckleheads - as I have a small extra bag with durable medical equipment in it. Remember, those are exempt. It's small, but I"ve had people glare at me. I even have a medical tag on it, and it's the original bag for the item (i.e. ugly and medical looking). I purchased a nicer bag for it, but I won't use it because I figure the glares will get worse. I have been questioned about it and am always willing to show anyone who asks. I have been asked by Delta before - so they do check - and I am always on the lookout for others with something like that. What burns my buns is when guys put their coats up there who are first to board. They JUST SAID to please not put your coats up there. Seeing one of those get totally smushed is a satisfying thing. (For the record, I have a EU sized roller I put up there, a backpack that goes under my seat, and that little bag. I'ts maybe 1/4 of a backpack sized.)
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by matgv
I fear that you were the one who committed the etiquette error. Since your bag was small enough to fit under the seat in front of you, that's where it should go. The overhead bins should be reserved for bags that are too large to be placed under a seat.
Super disagree. If someone is awesome enough to check a bag and then only have a backpack and a computer case, their backpack absolutely goes up there - and they're taking less space than someone else would have with a full bag. They have every right to put their smaller bag up there if it's considered their carryon.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
oops- wrong forum- deleted!

Last edited by InHouseCounsel; Jun 4, 2018 at 12:57 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
Just boarded an E170 United Express flight DCA-EWR.. . . Is that really correct that there is no policy and the FA is not supposed to say anything ?
The answer to this question is best found in the UA forum.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InHouseCounsel
Just boarded an E170 United Express flight DCA-EWR. I was the third passenger to board (Group 1) after two folks who boarded when they called for disabilities. Those two folks were placing their bags up over row 7 and as one said to the other “I always put my bag up front so I can get off quicklly“,
Well I don't even know how that explanation makes any sense. Do they run up the aisle right before the seat belt sign is turned off? Aren't they disabled?

Maybe it's easier for them not to have to carry their bags all the way down the plane?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I think I am more annoyed by the "can I put my backpack/bag/bowling ball/etc. on top of your bag" (when what I have is a backpack) NO you cant! First off I am in the bulkhead so it would be nice to get my bag out when we get above X feet without a bunch of crap falling on me but more importantly I would like my sensitive & delicate electronic items in my bag to still function when I land. More annoying is when its a backpack and the person has room under the seat in front of them.

Please note I said I was in the bulkhead so I DONT have the option to put my bag infront of me.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I think I am more annoyed by the "can I put my backpack/bag/bowling ball/etc. on top of your bag" (when what I have is a backpack) NO you cant! First off I am in the bulkhead so it would be nice to get my bag out when we get above X feet without a bunch of crap falling on me but more importantly I would like my sensitive & delicate electronic items in my bag to still function when I land. More annoying is when its a backpack and the person has room under the seat in front of them.

Please note I said I was in the bulkhead so I DONT have the option to put my bag infront of me.
If you don't like it that's fine, but its a valid question for somebody to ask and 99% of people are going to say yes to the request. Honestly they're just being polite by asking. If there's room in the bin most people wouldn't think twice about just tossing their stuff up there without asking about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.