Overhead etiquette question

Old Jan 11, 18, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Overhead etiquette question

so, Iím at my seat pulling my headphones out of my bag when the passenger on the other side of the aisle puts his bag in the overhead bin above my seat. He makes the commment that just enough space for you even though it is clearly half the space I need. Iím on the short side of the 717, so he had to put his rollerboard lengthwise. Fortunately, i I travel with an eBags weekender, so i can cram it by my feet and donít have to o go ard back a few rows to find a space.

Iím guessing this is a you snooze you lose situation. Plus, he had a DM brag tag (not sure if current) so I suppose I should have carried his bag (haha).So, is this an etiquette foul?
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Yes, your headphones should already be out of your bag since you knew before boarding you would need them. You are slowing down the boarding process for everybody by not being prepared. [Ok, I am quasi joking with you here]

As far as the other guy, his bags had to go somewhere, did they not?
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:05 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
With overhead bins, I’ve always felt that a pax with one approved bag-size wise- is free to put the bag in any overhead space in their cabin class. Certainly putting one bag across the aisle from one’s seat is ok. Definitely a snooze you lose situation. Not sure what other pax’s luggage tag or status has to do with it.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat
Yeah, it's mostly first come first serve. But it's also rude to grab a spot if someone is obviously getting ready to put something in it.

Here is an example of when first come first serve does not apply IMO: Once on a flight when I was sitting at the Y bulkhead exit (757), I took my carry on down after we reached cruising altitude to put on the floor during the flight. Unbeknownst to me, a pax across the aisle saw this and went back to the middle of the plane where he had been forced to put his carry on because everything was full in front near us. When I got up before landing to put my things away and realized what had happened, he rudely told me that I had given up that space and it was now his. Obnoxious, especially because I did not have any under seat storage room in the bulkhead. Thankfully, the FA saw what happened and offered to put my bag in the F closet for landing so I would not have to try to swim upstream to get my bag or wait for everyone else to deplane.
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM MM
That happened to me many years ago, and his 3 carry ons left me no space for my one little bag, arghh! Now, I always toss my bag into the overhead as soon I get to the seat. If I need anything, I just wait until most everyone has boarded and then take it out. Once your bag was already in the OH, to anyone who approaches the compartment, you can justifiably say that it's your spot and you're just taking something out of your bag. If you haven't put your bag up there yet, the space is up for grabs by anyone in your designated cabin.
BenA likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:24 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Steve007NY View Post
With overhead bins, Iíve always felt that a pax with one approved bag-size wise- is free to put the bag in any overhead space in their cabin class. Certainly putting one bag across the aisle from oneís seat is ok. Definitely a snooze you lose situation. Not sure what other paxís luggage tag or status has to do with it.
I definitely thinks its fair game, but I personally would not reach over someone waiting to put their bag in. From what I take from the story the guy had to reach over the OP's back and over his head to put his bag in. And the fact that he felt the need to say something to the OP indicates to me that he felt what he was doing was at least *a little* wrong. I don't comment to other people typically when I am putting bags in the overhead.

All that being said, as others have pointed out, as long as you stay within your class of service, its every man for himself.
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:35 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17 View Post
[...]And the fact that he felt the need to say something to the OP indicates to me that he felt what he was doing was at least *a little* wrong. I don't comment to other people typically when I am putting bags in the overhead.
Yea, it kinda makes it seem like he had to justify to himself that what he was doing was "right."

"Oh, there's still enough space for you, so I didn't take your space. It's all good"
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 2MM Diamante & NW Million Air - UA AA WN & Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
What's happened to me a few times in the <recent> past, is, when I'm standing in F with the bin open, arranging my stuff on the seat, for a quick second, about to put it up in the bin, and someone sneaks around me and puts their things in the bin that I'm obviously about to put my stuff in!
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:41 am

I quickly find spot for my bag and take my seat, so I am not blocking the aisle, so everyone can board. During the boarding process, its snooze you lose. If I need something from my bag, I always take it out while in the terminal or after the entire plane has boarded. After the plane has boarded, your spot is yours, so you can defend your territory. A few years ago, I pulled my bag down after the entire plane had boarded. As soon as I did, a guy two rows in front pops out of his seat with a rollaboard that must have been on his lap and takes my spot. I was so stunned, I was speechless. Thankfully, strangers in my row started yelling at him and he pulled his bag down and he found a spot at the back of the plane.
Old Jan 11, 18, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM
Etiquette of any type seems to have gone out the window on the plane these days. It's a sad state of affairs. Lack of OHB etiquette is largely of the airlines' creation, though, with exorbitant bag fees and poor baggage handling records/practices.
Old Jan 11, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I feel like if you travel enough to be wearing your brag tags, you should have a better understanding of geometry and know that rollaboards go wheels or handle first on the 3 side of the 717/MD88/MD90 aisle. Maybe that bin was already full, but what DM wouldn't be pushing to the front of the Prem boarding group anyway? Reason #4153 why I could never be a flight attendant: OCD over inefficient stowing of bags in the overhead. Far too many people are tetris-challenged or too self-centered to care.
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by azeckel View Post
I feel like if you travel enough to be wearing your brag tags, you should have a better understanding of geometry and know that rollaboards go wheels or handle first on the 3 side of the 717/MD88/MD90 aisle. Maybe that bin was already full, but what DM wouldn't be pushing to the front of the Prem boarding group anyway? Reason #4153 why I could never be a flight attendant: OCD over inefficient stowing of bags in the overhead. Far too many people are tetris-challenged or too self-centered to care.
The airlines are not helping the FA by charging checked bag fees so add them to the failing to care list.
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I'm not justifying what the other passenger did, but I generally prefer to put my bag on the side opposite from my seat because then I can see if somebody tries to mess with it.
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:12 pm

Programs: UAL GS; Delta Gold Medallion (2 mio +); American; Hyatt Platinum Passport, Omni Platinum
What really hacks me off is when another PAX decides he or she is entitled to rearrange bags in the overhead to accommodate their stuff. I think a good rule is that the only ones allowed to rearrange OPAX's bags are the FA's. Otherwise, hands off my stuff!
Old Jan 11, 18, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by manstein58 View Post
What really hacks me off is when another PAX decides he or she is entitled to rearrange bags in the overhead to accommodate their stuff. I think a good rule is that the only ones allowed to rearrange OPAX's bags are the FA's. Otherwise, hands off my stuff!
I disagree, if someone shoves their bag in the wrong direction despite (1) 5-10 overhead announcements during the boarding process by FAs telling them to store bags wheels/handles first (2) signage within the bin suggesting how bags should be stowed and (3) a common sense understanding of 3 dimensional geometry...I am going to turn their bag the right way if it means mine or another passengers will fit, and will help ensure an on time departure. I am sick of entitled people just throwing their crap in the OHB and walking away from it without doing their part to maximize the space. If I have to listen to those announcements on every single flight, I am going to take action around them even if it means putting my "grimey hands" on someone elses rolling bag. Oh, the horror!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: