Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Beverages Comfort Plus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:12 am
Suspended

All this about a glass of wine?

Anyone who knows much about air travel knows that drinking alcohol on a long flight is never a good idea, drink water to avoid dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic which increases dehydration.

I can only think of one circumstance under which I would expect someone to make a seat selection based on access to alcohol.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:45 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mpkossen
I agree with TTT. Service on Delta TATL flights is pretty good in general. The only advantage in C+ is that you get to be one of the first being served (on top of the better seat, etc.).

Personally, I've never had any issues getting additional drinks (or snacks, for that matter) on Delta flights.
Being closer to the front is good if you want to get a jump on the immigration process too (depending on your arrival airport, of course).
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by service1010
For what I will be paying for my Comfort+ seat (I didn't want to wait until closer to the date as I want to ensure that I get C+ and the seat that I want) I want a wider seat than E, and easier access to wine! It's a long trip from MSP to CDG!
Air France have seasonal flights between MSP and CDG...I think it's May-September. Maybe consider flying them since they have a nice Premium Economy cabin with wider seats until Delta adds Premium Select to that route? You'll still get all your Delta miles, MQM, and MQD. You'll probably come out ahead with the MQD since its based on 30% of miles flown. Foods better too.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:22 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis

Anyone who knows much about air travel knows that drinking alcohol on a long flight is never a good idea, drink water to avoid dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic which increases dehydration.

I can only think of one circumstance under which I would expect someone to make a seat selection based on access to alcohol.
Thanks, mom.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by pvn
Thanks, mom.
I'll drink to that. !!!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On PHX-ATL or PHX-JFK, they should make two formal beverage services from carts in C+ and Y. I've only been denied a request for two drinks at a time in C+/Y once on DL, on a JFK-MXP segment. if you want a drink between services, by all means hit the flight attendant call button.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
One of life's pleasures is to have a cold cocktail or beer at 35,000 feet.

Some years ago I was having a PDB on the ground at SMF, waiting to push back on a redeye to ATL. A woman, apparently a nurse, sat down next to me and gave me a disapproving look, and told me I should never drink alcohol on an airliner. I used Jackie Gleason's famous line on her, that I don't drink bottled water because I didn't know what the fish did in it. She gave me the dirtiest of looks and didn't say another word the rest of the flight.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL GM

I have had more than a few long haul flights where alcohol was the only thing keeping me from wanting to jump out of the emergency exit. I can't sleep on planes, even in D1, so enjoying a few drinks is the only way to get through some of those really brutal long hauls.
DeltaAddict likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I have had more than a few long haul flights where alcohol was the only thing keeping me from wanting to jump out of the emergency exit. I can't sleep on planes, even in D1, so enjoying a few drinks is the only way to get through some of those really brutal long hauls.
Pop a couple pills of Benadyl (or generic equivalent) and might cause sleep to happen.... Those 5 cents remedies are some of best ideas for allergies, sleep, and kids.

Jiburi
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ND76
One of life's pleasures is to have a cold cocktail or beer at 35,000 feet.

Some years ago I was having a PDB on the ground at SMF, waiting to push back on a redeye to ATL. A woman, apparently a nurse, sat down next to me and gave me a disapproving look, and told me I should never drink alcohol on an airliner. I used Jackie Gleason's famous line on her, that I don't drink bottled water because I didn't know what the fish did in it. She gave me the dirtiest of looks and didn't say another word the rest of the flight.
You sent me Googling.

Could not find a relevant Gleason quote.

W. C. Fields is alleged to have said "I don't drink water. Fish function in water." Except, function was not the word that is claimed he used. FT won't allow me to reveal the actual word.
DLDiamond2013 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Hahahahahaha love the bottled water quotes.

And whenever I hear about or read about those poor souls who cannot sleep on planes, even in D1, know that I feel so sorry for you. Perhaps I wouldn’t love flying as much as I do if I couldn’t sleep. But one cannot do anything to keep me AWAKE on flights. The steady hum of the engines as white noise and a seat, D1 or not, and BAM, I’m out!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by jiburi

Pop a couple pills of Benadyl (or generic equivalent) and might cause sleep to happen.... Those 5 cents remedies are some of best ideas for allergies, sleep, and kids.

Jiburi
I'd love to be able to take Benadryl. It really DOES make me sleep. Unfortunately, I cannot take it on a flight b/c it makes me sleep too long. I cannot function for up to 18 hours after I take one (yes, I know that shouldn't happen), and I am the responsible half of our travel party.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: DL PM
Since it really is only an economy seat with a smidge more legroom and a better recline, I am hoping that Delta adds more services to this fare class. Like attentive FA that one gets in BC/F so that wine can be refilled etc.
Not going to happen. Just push the call button if you need something from the FA.

For what I will be paying for my Comfort+ seat (I didn't want to wait until closer to the date as I want to ensure that I get C+ and the seat that I want) I want a wider seat than E, and easier access to wine! It's a long trip from MSP to CDG!
Again, not going to happen. Delta already offers Premium Select (limited routes, but expected to expand) and business class. Both offer a wider seat and dedicated FA. You get what you pay for.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
OP, you can also ask for two bottles of wine at each fill up.

I have perfected the “two vodkas , one cup of ice, and one can of Fresca” method.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I'd love to be able to take Benadryl. It really DOES make me sleep. Unfortunately, I cannot take it on a flight b/c it makes me sleep too long. I cannot function for up to 18 hours after I take one (yes, I know that shouldn't happen), and I am the responsible half of our travel party.
I'm the same way. Benadryl or similar OTC options leave me feeling like I'm in hibernation mode for hours after waking up. Just sluggish and totally out of it. Add in jet lag for a 12 hour time change and I'd be feeling it for days after. On my TPAC flights I'll usually just power through in the air and then whatever is left of the day on arrival in Asia and then get on a proper local sleep schedule. Haven't suffered from jet lag doing TPACs yet, luckily.

Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Hahahahahaha love the bottled water quotes.

And whenever I hear about or read about those poor souls who cannot sleep on planes, even in D1, know that I feel so sorry for you. Perhaps I wouldn’t love flying as much as I do if I couldn’t sleep. But one cannot do anything to keep me AWAKE on flights. The steady hum of the engines as white noise and a seat, D1 or not, and BAM, I’m out!
I actually love flying and can usually keep myself pretty occupied but I really do envy those who can just sleep the moment they get to their seat. I may doze off for a bit but can never really get comfortable. I also can't sleep on my back in my own bed at home, which is probably a reason I can't sleep on planes. I'm convinced my body would rather lay awake for eternity than ever let me sleep on my back.

If I was someone who got bored easily AND couldn't sleep, I would love flying far less.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.