Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misconnect Paid First Compensation ??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Thanks, pvn. Very helpful. I will send an email to Delta now.

I did get the 50% MQM bonus (I made sure to check that specifically as I assumed it wouldn't post correctly, but to my surprise it did).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sdadept
comments like this make me wish FT had a 'dislike' button. Putting the onus on the pax instead of the airline for a tight connection is ridiculous. If delta sells it then they should reasonably be expected to make it happen.
Why?

The MCT for DL online at LGA is 35 minutes. This connection is 38 minutes. If the time had dropped to 34 minutes or less, DL would not sell the connection or, if booked, would rebook (even if a passenger wants to stick with a <MCT connection).

The MCT is nothing more than a carrier's willingness to accept the responsibility for rebooking in case of a misconnect. So, the risk is on the carrier.

People who make it into more than it is simply create a problem for passengers who choose to fly short connections.

My larger point is that MCT aside, passengers must decide for themselves what SCT (Sensible Connection Time) is. People who may need assistance, walk a bit slower, stop for something to eat, or just generally don't like being rushed, should book longer connections. But, that need not disadvantage passengers with tight schedules who, for better or worse, want that 35-minute connection.
pvn likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
comments like this make me wish FT had a 'dislike' button. Putting the onus on the pax instead of the airline for a tight connection is ridiculous. If delta sells it then they should reasonably be expected to make it happen.
But FT should be (among other things) a place for discussing how to avoid issues. Not a support group for those who can not handle issues that arise.

Though Often1's post might be a bit off-topic, he made a very correct point. MCT does not relate to your chance of a miss-connect. Airlines set MCTs based on THEIR acceptable risk. Obviously a few posters here do not understand that concept.

And to be clear here, he did point out that DL owes OP regardless of the reason.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

We were in Row 1 on the incoming flight. Had we been in the back there is no way it’s feasible

QUOTE=btonkid12345;29216319]Glad to hear you made the flight. Even without paper BPs, if the door was still open, they could have gotten you on with just an ID (given you were already thru security/airside).

I also disagree with Often1 about the responsibility being on the customer...as others have stated.[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
There are levels of risk with any connection. The longer the time between flights, the less the risk. Earlier in the day, the less the risk. Originating early AM flight is a plane that came in the night before, less risk of a departure delay. If originating aircraft is an inbound redeye flight, risk increases. Two day advance weather looks bad at either point of origin or connection point, risk very high. And the consequences of a missed connection range from low to high depending on if it is crunch time holiday travel, school vacation week etc.

I will take short time connections if the risk can be mitigated...many subsequent flights to my destination with likely availability.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have to agree with the other posters.
Many of us are very experienced travelers.
Between that experience and investment of time and effort, we are more comfortable with tighter connections.

I move quickly through airports have status, clear, precheck, etc.

I'd hate to think that airlines would have to be more cautious to account for their "Average" customer in setting MCTs.

The onus is on pax to make any connection. And they generally recover if you don't.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by barney44

We were in Row 1 on the incoming flight. Had we been in the back there is no way it’s feasible

QUOTE=btonkid12345;29216319]Glad to hear you made the flight. Even without paper BPs, if the door was still open, they could have gotten you on with just an ID (given you were already thru security/airside).

I also disagree with Often1 about the responsibility being on the customer...as others have stated.

[/QUOTE]
Luck favors the prepared. Even though it is the airline's responsibility, you are still the one stuck with the misconnection if you don't make it. Delta is not stuck overnight in the Days Inn and having to wake up at 5 am to get their flight the following morning. If you can take steps to avoid the problem, then do it, if it is to your advantage. You might be able to turn it into an advantage. On a VDB from LAX-JFK, the GA was going to put me on a LAX-BOS flight 4 hours later. Knowing the schedule of the other flights, I took the LAX-JFK flight 1:15 later and still had my original arrival time in Boston.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

comments like this make me wish FT had a 'dislike' button.
It has an "ignore" button. @:-)
I use it.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Ask how many passengers routinely make scheduled 38 minute connections on DL at LGA. Ask how many people would complain about waiting for the 'next' flight if the MCT were increased. Ask how many passengers would be inconvenienced by no LGA connections being offered on some airport pairs if the MCT were increased significantly. Those are some questions DL would ask when setting MCTs - sitting with data. Now, LGA with weather is not a happy place to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.