FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Misconnect Paid First Compensation ?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1884600-misconnect-paid-first-compensation.html)

barney44 Dec 26, 2017 5:16 am

Misconnect Paid First Compensation ??

In paid first class four tickets . Misconnect because of air traffic delays and delta selling a tight connection through LGA. What am I entitled to when they rebook in coach and middle seats no less.

Want to to know before I land and what to expect from a Gate Agent or Red Coat. Lowly Silver medallion status if it matters.

TTT Dec 26, 2017 6:21 am

Originally Posted by barney44 (Post 29215663)
In paid first class four tickets . Misconnect because of air traffic delays and delta selling a tight connection through LGA. What am I entitled to when they rebook in coach and middle seats no less.

Want to to know before I land and what to expect from a Gate Agent or Red Coat. Lowly Silver medallion status if it matters.

Were you given a choice to take a latter flight with F?

pvn Dec 26, 2017 6:45 am

$200 plus fare difference.

You can decline a Y rebooking and wait for open F seats.

apodo77 Dec 26, 2017 7:09 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29215777)
$200 plus fare difference.

Having happened to me in the past this is absolutely 100% correct but note both times I had to call in to get the compensation after the trip was completed. It was a simple and quick call.

pvn Dec 26, 2017 7:46 am

there are lots of threads on this, mods should merge this into one of them

Often1 Dec 26, 2017 7:47 am

Do nothing until you land and have an idea about gate arrival, unless to can see that you will misconnect in fact. If the misconnect is clear, e.g. the onward flight is on schedule, deal with the service recovery first and then deal with the fallout when you get home.

The reason for the misconnect is irrelevant, you are on a single ticket and are entitled to be rebooked on the first fservice with F availability. If you are willing to fly earlier in Y, you are contractually entitled to a refund of the fare difference, paid to the original form of payment, e.g. CC. In addition, while there is no compensation due, DL will as a goodwill matter issue a customer service gesture of a $200 credit against future travel.

Don't make a big deal out of the reason. Not only is it irrelevant, but hindsight is 20-20. The reason for the misconnect is that you chose to purchase a short connection, not that DL sold it. If those connections present too much risk for you, don't purchase them. The MCT does not equate to the SCT for everyone.

sdadept Dec 26, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29215905)
Don't make a big deal out of the reason. Not only is it irrelevant, but hindsight is 20-20. The reason for the misconnect is that you chose to purchase a short connection, not that DL sold it. If those connections present too much risk for you, don't purchase them. The MCT does not equate to the SCT for everyone.

comments like this make me wish FT had a 'dislike' button. Putting the onus on the pax instead of the airline for a tight connection is ridiculous. If delta sells it then they should reasonably be expected to make it happen.

Lomapaseo Dec 26, 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29215905)

More often in my experience the misconnect is because Delta shrunk the connection time with the dreaded Sat night schedule changes. To me, Delta is responsible for a purchased ticket that does not meet reality of what's promised.

pvn Dec 26, 2017 9:44 am

Originally Posted by sdadept (Post 29216006)
comments like this make me wish FT had a 'dislike' button. Putting the onus on the pax instead of the airline for a tight connection is ridiculous. If delta sells it then they should reasonably be expected to make it happen.

Don't they? I mean no matter how comfortable of a connection delta sells there are still going to be misconnects. How many 30-minute connections do I need to successfully make for it to be "reasonable"?

barney44 Dec 26, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks

all great Information. You’re right it went from a 57 minute connection to 38 minutes well after there was a change to get four seats on another flight. Also even though Delta App Rebooked on later flight. Ran to the gate with paper boarding passes and made the original flight even though boarding passes in the app were removed. Lesson learned of always print out paper ones also.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Dec 26, 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by sdadept (Post 29216006)

I use the ignore feature as I have found some forum members posts to be less than helpful.

That said you are absolutely correct, the airlines have the ability to check MCT and not sell the tickets. But they do not. I once bought an international ticket with a 70 minute connection in ATL to get the last flight on the night home. We knew it was short but also know ATL. Long story short Delta paid for our hotel that night.

My question for the OP is what options did Delta give? And did they fully explain what the OP is entitled to via the CoC?

tkelsay Dec 26, 2017 10:27 am

Good info from posters so far and seems like OP's question has been answered. This raises a similar question for me regarding a recent experience.

Last Sunday, Dec. 17th, I was scheduled YYZ > DTW > CHS in paid F. I did a SDC to YYZ > ATL > CHS which would have put me in 2.5 hours earlier, this SDC occurred before any of the power outages were reported. Then the power outage in ATL occurs and they start to re-route everyone, so they put me back on my original flight through DTW. However, the DTW > CHS segment got filled in F so they moved me to Y. I didn't say anything because at least I made it home, and also I somewhat created the issue for myself having done the SDC in the first place. Now this thread has me thinking, would I be eligible for some sort of compensation for flying in Y but having paid for F? My scenario seems a bit different because my original flight was intact and I could have flown F if I didn't make any change at all. Curious for anyone's opinion.

Thanks.

pvn Dec 26, 2017 10:30 am

Originally Posted by tkelsay (Post 29216300)
Now this thread has me thinking, would I be eligible for some sort of compensation for flying in Y but having paid for F?

YES.

The fact that you did a SDC doesn't change anything.

pvn Dec 26, 2017 10:30 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29216311)
YES.

The fact that you did a SDC doesn't change anything.

Also check to see if you got your 50% MQM bonus for that flight and request that ORC if you didn't.

btonkid12345 Dec 26, 2017 10:32 am

Originally Posted by barney44 (Post 29216277)
all great Information. You’re right it went from a 57 minute connection to 38 minutes well after there was a change to get four seats on another flight. Also even though Delta App Rebooked on later flight. Ran to the gate with paper boarding passes and made the original flight even though boarding passes in the app were removed. Lesson learned of always print out paper ones also.

Glad to hear you made the flight. Even without paper BPs, if the door was still open, they could have gotten you on with just an ID (given you were already thru security/airside).

I also disagree with Often1 about the responsibility being on the customer...as others have stated.