Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gifts for flight crew?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
The OP is clearly a communist sympathizer. How dare he suggest that those Delta employees are deserving of any kind of recognition for working on the primary holiday of the Christian calendar. They knew what they were getting into when they took the job, if they can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen (cabin). Pianoman has outrageously tried to level common decency and human kindness toward the bourgeois lackies of Ed Bastian, those same employees who are complicit in his fiendish plot to snuff the very joy out of air travel.

Today it's a token of appreciation, tomorrow they'll be demanding our very jobs, it's a slippery slope Pianoman, mark my words....
ATOBTTR and EasyGoingGuy like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876

They have to deal with a catestrophic fire that disrupts over 1300 flights every single day of their careers?

damn, I must’ve REALLY been missing the news lately...
See the thing is that is always something in the airline industry. They cancelled a lot of flights during hurricanes this year. They had a THREE day blizzard in Detroit a couple of years ago. Again, they deal with stuff like this every day, these are just extreme examples.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I guess you didn't see Delta's Facebook page during the winter screw up and power outage. And I used to love Delta before Anderson came along and devoured its soul.
Oh for crying out loud, most companies Facebook pages are loaded with complaints. Delta flies 500,000 people a day, they will piss a few off. You still don't speak for other passengers....nor do I.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Dear OP, as someone who also used to work a job that required working weekends and potentially every holiday on the calendar, thank you for thinking of that flight crew on your Christmas day flight. Please keep sending out positive thoughts! :-)

Happy flying, and Merry Christmas!
somemale and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I bring candy for the crews throughout the entire month of December. Everyone can have their opinion and thoughts of course, but I’m not going to stop doing it regardless of what someone else thinks. I’m not asking others to bring candy like me, so others shouldn’t ask me or think that I should NOT bring candy.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:56 pm

candy and/or chocolates is always welcomed. maybe with a nice written note attached too
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'd bring a treat or snack like chocolates, candy, etc. They can enjoy it and share it together onboard.

Not everyone eats sweets, but not every drinks coffee either. And a $5 gift card is kind of more trouble than it is worth in my opinion, on both sides.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) I'd give the Xmas flightcrew a way to earn 12% ROI in 2018.
2) Pilots work 24/7/365??
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
I'll always try to bring a 'local' treat. That means most of the times; stroopwafels (for foreign -ie non-dutch crew). But if i'm at a place that is regarded as the 'world capital of nougat' or for example at NRT with all those strange 'Sakura', 'Uji' Matcha KitKat bars i stock up on some of those.

Almost always appreciated, for example this one on my last KLC flight:

spades097 and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016

Why? I worked in the service industry and had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, New Years Eve/Day, etc. I never got a present or "thank you" for doing so, I knew what I signed up for when I took the job. Unless the flight crew went above and beyond, there is really no reason to award them for doing their jobs.
It's about someone trying to be nice on their own and not a thread started by someone looking for sympathy....
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCP2016

Why? I worked in the service industry and had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, New Years Eve/Day, etc. I never got a present or "thank you" for doing so, I knew what I signed up for when I took the job. Unless the flight crew went above and beyond, there is really no reason to award them for doing their jobs.
It isn't a question of knowing what you signed up for. If the OP were asking you a question (which he's not) it would be 'would you like to be shown some appreciation'?

I don't know anyone who doesn't like to feel appreciated regardless of their job or what day of the year it happens to be. It isn't always necessary to spend money, a simple 'I appreciate you' is fine but there is no denying that even the simplest gift speaks louder than a simple spoken thank you.

I sometimes give someone some flowers (my dentist after an emergency visit she squeezed into her day). A box of a dozen donuts dropped off to our local volunteer fire department on one of their training days. A box of chocolates for the staff of my local bank.

I do think it does matter what you choose to give though. Best is something that provides an instant gratification for the receiver. A gift card is delayed. A box of chocolates for the flight crew to share is instant.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: DL Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I've probably flown on Christmas 3 of the last 4 years and have always given a small box of chocolates to say thank you. It's always been a much appreciated.
KBMIFlyer and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
ashamed? Why.
There are a few people here in the Delta forum who believe that if you don't kiss the feet of the gate agents and flight crews upon boarding that you should be thrown out on your rear-end.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Also I'm still waiting for a "thank you" present from the flight crew, whether it is comped drinks, chocolate, extra snacks etc, as a thank you for choosing your airline when I have other choices out there.

Sometimes I get the feeling that me and everyone else on the plane are an inconvenience. Maybe if I start to feel truly welcomed and get genuine responses I'll change my tune on gifts.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don’t think it’s necessary, but if you want to give something to the crew I think they would appreciate it. Starbucks gift cards are a good option, there are Starbucks everywhere and even if they don’t drink coffee their breakfast sandwiches are pretty good..

Ultimately, it’s your decision to provide a gift and the value. Really not sure why the question is generating such overwrought responses and off topic tangents. But it is Flyertalk....
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
It isn't necessary, but nice to do. A small box of $10 chocolate can go a long way in just making the cabin crew's day better while they work during xmas.
FLYPWM likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.