Gifts for flight crew?

Old Dec 23, 17, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Delta PM
Gifts for flight crew?

I'm flying on Christmas day, and would like to give the flight crew and GAs a small, simple token of appreciation. I realize not everyone celebrates Christmas, but working this time of year regardless must be hectic. I was thinking $5 Starbucks gift cards - does anyone have experience with this? I want to make sure each crew member gets one - if I give them to the lead flight attendant, I trust they'd pass them along?

I'm on a CRJ-200 (bleh) and CRJ-900... so by my count, that's 3 crew (pilot, co-pilot, one flight attendant) on the first leg and 4 crew (pilot, co-pilot, 2 flight attendants) on the second leg, right?

Season's greetings to everyone!
Old Dec 23, 17, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Well I wouldn't go out of my way. They are most likely being paid an insane amount to work on Christmas Day.
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:08 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
Well I wouldn't go out of my way. They are most likely being paid an insane amount to work on Christmas Day.
I'm afraid to ask what an "insane amount" is for a FA....

I'm not usually one to promote America's obsession with tipping, but I think this is a nice gesture. (*i think i'd do it for the FAs ... not so much the pilots)
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:17 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Nothing simple idea is a scratch off lotto ticket, or even one for the big drawing.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:20 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
I’ve never understood this.

I, too, am flying DL Christmas morning but don’t understand why anyone needs to be thanked for working on Christmas. The airline industry is one of those 24/7/365 jobs that requires some people to be working every day. People who sign on for employment know this.

Do you thank your local power company operators for working on Dec 25? Our guys get paid triple time ($129/hr for the 12-hr shift).

Its just life, people. My dad was an airline pilot so I know the industry.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

Be nice to people every day of the year, not just Dec 25.
moxielady likes this.

Last edited by 355F1; Dec 23, 17 at 4:28 pm
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
I’ve never understood this.

I too am flying DL Christmas morning but don’t understand why anyone needs to be thanked for working on Christmas. The airline industry is one of those 24/7/365 jobs that requires some people to be working every day. People who sign on for employment know this.

Do you thank your local power company operators for working on Dec 25? Our guys get paid triple time ($129/hr for the 12-hr shift).

Its just life, people. My dad was an airline pilot so I know the industry.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

Be nice to people every day of the year, not just Dec 25.
I used to work a job that required working on Christmas.
I knew it when I signed on.
It didn't make it any easier when I missed the last Christmas with my grandmother that year, as I was trying to pay off college bills. I'm not doing it merely as a thank-you, I'd like to do something to simply acknowledge that 1.) the stress of working in the holiday season (particularly with everything happening to DL lately) is noticed, and 2.) that sometimes it's nice to receive a little token of appreciation in an industry that is so very often thankless. Isn't that often (not always) why JWD certificates are given?
Grouchy and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I agree that it's not necessary, but, it's a fun, and kind gesture.

In July, I flew to CDG <award ticket> and a FA friend of mine non-revved with me. He was passing out bags of mini chocolates - like Halloween sized bars to the GAs, and FAs. They were THRILLED!!!
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I agree that it's not necessary, but, it's a fun, and kind gesture.

In July, I flew to CDG <award ticket> and a FA friend of mine non-revved with me. He was passing out bags of mini chocolates - like Halloween sized bars to the GAs, and FAs. They were THRILLED!!!
I was thinking about this too - perhaps chocolate is a good way to go
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

The other thing that wasn't super clear is that these are Delta Connection flights (they're all on CRJs). So I *HIGHLY* doubt they are making great wages, unfortunately...
Old Dec 23, 17, 4:38 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post
I used to work a job that required working on Christmas.
I knew it when I signed on.
It didn't make it any easier when I missed the last Christmas with my grandmother that year, as I was trying to pay off college bills. I'm not doing it merely as a thank-you, I'd like to do something to simply acknowledge that 1.) the stress of working in the holiday season (particularly with everything happening to DL lately) is noticed, and 2.) that sometimes it's nice to receive a little token of appreciation in an industry that is so very often thankless. Isn't that often (not always) why JWD certificates are given?
Old Dec 23, 17, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post
(particularly with everything happening to DL lately)
Dare I ask? They are leading the industry and Wall Street is in love with them right now.
Old Dec 23, 17, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Dare I ask? They are leading the industry and Wall Street is in love with them right now.
i just meant with the power outage and bad weather in ATL and northeast recently. Probably extra busy and with all that extra work and trying to explain to people why their flight in Ohio is canceled when the problem was in Georgia must get tiring. But yes, business wise they’re doing well
Old Dec 23, 17, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Well I'm glad to hear someone loves them!

They are certainly not popular among passengers right now.
Old Dec 23, 17, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
There are times when I see posts like some in this thread that I am truly ashamed to be a part of this forum. But given the posters who made them, I am not surprised.

spades097 likes this.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Dec 23, 17 at 6:57 pm
Old Dec 23, 17, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont View Post
There are times when I see posts like some in this thread that I am truly ashamed to be a part of this forum. But given the posters who made them, I am not surprised.

Why? I worked in the service industry and had to work Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, New Years Eve/Day, etc. I never got a present or "thank you" for doing so, I knew what I signed up for when I took the job. Unless the flight crew went above and beyond, there is really no reason to award them for doing their jobs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: