Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VDB compensation not as expected

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allan38103
The first question is:either (A) he signed the agreement or (B) he didn't.

If it is A, you're out of luck. If it's B, keep trying.

Get the answer to the question first.
If it's (A), then I think the second question is -- what did the agreement say? If it indicated a $400 voucher, then you're out of luck. If it said anything else or was nonspecific, keep trying.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by indufan
Only from a few markets. The only ones I know of are MSP and BOS.
I received a couple of those from LAX.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by pvn
"agreed to VDB"

"wanted to get home ASAP"

hmm
EXACTLY! Why agree to VDB, if you wanted to get home ASAP? And now the Dad's complaining that the son didn't get what he should have?! Perhaps he should've thought twice about the VDB at the time!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
I assume the confusion is that the gate agent probably said "Delta Dollars," which I hear frequently. To someone hearing that over the intercom, and who doesn't travel much, its not a crazy assumption to make that its money rather than a coupon for future travel.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DiamondInTheRough

My question is, does he have a recourse. He wanted to complain to DOT, but I told him to hold his horses before we find out if it is even under DOT purview. I am sure if he complains to Delta, they will throw some miles at him which once again will be useless. Any advice how and if to proceed?
Well, he's 20. So my advice would be to let him handle it. You got your miles worth -- he did get transported to his end point. Whatever tomfoolery he and Delta got up to along the way is their problem, no?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:23 pm

He really never flies anywhere except home to visit you guys? $400 should get him a pretty decent domestic flight, especially during off peak dates. If it's west coast I would think he could do SEA to LA and back for that amount. Might be a fun weekend trip. OR, fly him in F class next time to visit you guys.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Until OP returns with the information about what his adult son signed, there really isn't that much to be said. VDB is by its nature what you and DL agree to. DL could agree to fly the adult son in F/D1 for the rest of his life if it wanted to or it could offer $0 and a middle seat in coach. Likely more takers for the former than the latter, but --- as the term implies --- it's voluntary.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Often1
DL could agree to fly the adult son in F/D1 for the rest of his life
Oh. Oh. I'll take that! lol
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Only from a few markets. The only ones I know of are MSP and BOS.
All markets can do it. Basically the GA selects either travel voucher or gift card when entering amount. The system then generates a voucher that can be used to purchase airfare or a voucher that can be used to "purchase" gift cards (AMEX, DL, Tiffanys, etc) from the DL website. Basically the employee selects if the voucher is only good for airfare or can be used to purchase gift cards.

I've gotten both options at same locations. LAX, MSP, SAT, and JFK in last year.

I'm curious if OP son was clear what they were asking, or if employee was clear I'm what was being asked.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm curious if OP son was clear what they were asking, or if employee was clear I'm what was being asked.
WOW. We have several posters writing about what they think the OP really meant when he related what his son told him about an encounter with the GA. And from all of this we can't get a clear understanding of what happened??

Wouldn't it be nice if somehow the transaction would have been put in writing.?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by audidudi
EXACTLY! Why agree to VDB, if you wanted to get home ASAP? And now the Dad's complaining that the son didn't get what he should have?! Perhaps he should've thought twice about the VDB at the time!
He wanted to get home ASAP, but he wanted the $400 more. Its like the old joke, Man walks up to a woman in a bar and asks, "would you have sex with me for $1,000,000?" She says, "yes." He then asks, "would you have sex with me for $5?" and she responds, "what do you think I am?" and he responds, "we already determined what you are, but I am just haggling on a price."

The son thought the $400 gift card was worth the delay. He didn't think that saving his Daddy $400 on his next trip was worth it. This is the calculation each one of us face when there is a VDB offer.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
All markets can do it. Basically the GA selects either travel voucher or gift card when entering amount.
Not true. Gift cards have not been rolled out to all markets yet. Atlanta just started testing them this week and Detroit isn’t starting until after the new year.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I had always understood that once travel was started with a boarding card that the compensation for inconvenience only belongs to the passenger incurring the inconvenience {the son in this case).

That's what my own experience has been when I buy or book FF tickets for family and friends
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:46 am

But did he agree and sign something? If he did then you're out of luck.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
I assume the confusion is that the gate agent probably said "Delta Dollars," which I hear frequently. To someone hearing that over the intercom, and who doesn't travel much, its not a crazy assumption to make that its money rather than a coupon for future travel.
i suspect this is exactly what happened. I am a bit confused about the need to get home ASAP verses taking a VDB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.