Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta DM
I would like to preface my post by saying I generally don't mind the 737-900 (especially if I can get F, Comfort+ or exit row) however I do prefer the 757. Not sure what it is but it's just a more comfortable ride, in my opinion. With that being said, I decided to look at this from a square footage perspective. I looked up some numbers, did some basic math, and found that based on the square footage of each aircraft, and the number of seats on each aircraft, each seat takes up the same amount of space. Now I know this method is rather "grey" because you have to take into account the actual seat pitch of each class. However, I think it still gives you an overall idea of the amount of space Delta is working with on each aircraft. Here are the numbers I got...

737-900 = 107' x 11.5' = 1230.5 square feet divided by 180 seats = 6.83/seat

757-200 = 118' x 11.5' = 1362.75 square feet divided by 199 seats = 6.84/seat

For some reason it was a little harder to find specific cabin lengths for each aircraft so if my numbers are wrong please correct me. As for the 737 getting a bad rap I think it's because of the layout; with no L2 or R2 doors and all the lavs and galleys either in the front of the plane or back of the plane it gives the impression of more people in a tighter space. Just my two cents. Please don't bash my thought process too much.

OPS
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:29 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
It seems you can't be convinced by anyone here so why don't you just call up Boeing and ask them?
You're so sure of this, it should be relatively easy to actually document your claim. You must have seen this information somewhere if you're this postive.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
You're so sure of this, it should be relatively easy to actually document your claim. You must have seen this information somewhere if you're this postive.
We have posted sources from you. You still protest. It seems you want something that explicitly states "we used the same fuselage for the 707, 727, 737, and 757". They all seat 3X3 and and cabin width differences are the same +/- .01 in. The biggest difference for the 757 is the depth. It has a larger cargo area.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:43 pm

We have posted sources from you. You still protest. It seems you want something that explicitly states "we used the same fuselage for the 707, 727, 737, and 757". They all seat 3X3 and and cabin width differences are the same +/- .01 in. The biggest difference for the 757 is the depth. It has a larger cargo area.

​​​​​​Larger cargo area, because the floor is higher, correct? Would that not put the seats higher up as well, into the wider part of the diameter of the fuselage?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shimps1
​​​​​​Larger cargo area, because the floor is higher, correct? Would that not put the seats higher up as well, into the wider part of the diameter of the fuselage?
Correct

Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:14 pm

The 747 book by Boeing's Joe Sutter states that the 707 fuselage was used for the later single aisle planes.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

We have posted sources from you. You still protest. It seems you want something that explicitly states "we used the same fuselage for the 707, 727, 737, and 757". They all seat 3X3 and and cabin width differences are the same +/- .01 in.

You posted sources showing the width is the same, which nobody has disputed.

The biggest difference for the 757 is the depth. It has a larger cargo area.
Wait, you said they were the same, but now you're saying they're ... different???
Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
You posted sources showing the width is the same, which nobody has disputed.

The same

Wait, you said they were the same, but now you're saying they're ... different???
The same tube can be setup in multiple configurations.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:09 pm
Suspended

I was talking to a friend that works for Boeing. Keep in mind this is purely conversation between two enthusiasts and nothing remotely confirmed or supported by corporate. Anyway, apparently the sales team doesn't really enjoy working with Delta. I can understand why. And I can also understand why Boeing went after DL and Bombardier. Richard Anderson did everything in his power to harm Boeing's finances. He made the false claim of market value for used 777's. He based this off of the scrap value of a used 777 they purchased for parts. It was completely un-airworthy and would never fly again. This disrupted the market value for the 777 second hand market. Anderson also referred to the 777X and 78J as "paper airplanes". At the time he made that statement the A350 had not entered service and the A330neo was only a pipe dream but DL still ordered it. This shows just how hypocritical he was and how much contempt DL has for Boeing. And that was all well before the C Series order.

So Boeing knew they had nothing to lose by challenging the C Series. They had already lost DL as a customer and DL only used Boeing to get better pricing from Airbus. And with 300+ 321's on order and an all Airbus widebody fleet it would be silly for DL to ever order Boeing again. It would seriously throw off the economies of scale. So the next time DL wants to order new airplanes it would probably be in Boeing's best interest to hand DL the price sheet and call it good. It isn't worth their time to pursuit a losing battle. Delta will then have no leverage against Airbus. Boeing can then spend more time pursuing orders they actually have a chance of winning.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I though it was fairly common knowledge that the 707, 727, 737, and 757 all share the same fuselage. It's actually quite clever.

Do you think Airbus is going to come up with a new narrow body fuselage in the next couple decades? Why?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:24 am

I've always wondered if Air France was obligated to purchase Airbus aircraft. They have operated every model and most every variant of the models.

A300-B2/B4
A310-200/300
A318/319/320-100/320-200/321
A330-200
A340-200/300
A350-900
A380-800

I think Lufthansa is in the same boat. I remember reading an interview with Enders and Spohr stating that LH had every single model with the exception of the 318.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:20 pm

And the 767 and 777 have the same nose (section 41)

Most commentary I hve read about the deal is that this was less about A vs B but about GE vs PW. GE has a monopoly on B737, vs Airbus giving a choice on A320. GE wasn't willing to cut price on engines as much as PW was, plus give DL Tech Ops the ability to get into GTF maintenance (they already have CFM capability)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:11 pm

I was talking to a friend that works for Boeing. Keep in mind this is purely conversation between two enthusiasts and nothing remotely confirmed or supported by corporate. Anyway, apparently the sales team doesn't really enjoy working with Delta. I can understand why. And I can also understand why Boeing went after DL and Bombardier. Richard Anderson did everything in his power to harm Boeing's finances. He made the false claim of market value for used 777's. He based this off of the scrap value of a used 777 they purchased for parts. It was completely un-airworthy and would never fly again. This disrupted the market value for the 777 second hand market. Anderson also referred to the 777X and 78J as "paper airplanes". At the time he made that statement the A350 had not entered service and the A330neo was only a pipe dream but DL still ordered it. This shows just how hypocritical he was and how much contempt DL has for Boeing. And that was all well before the C Series order.

So Boeing knew they had nothing to lose by challenging the C Series. They had already lost DL as a customer and DL only used Boeing to get better pricing from Airbus. And with 300+ 321's on order and an all Airbus widebody fleet it would be silly for DL to ever order Boeing again. It would seriously throw off the economies of scale. So the next time DL wants to order new airplanes it would probably be in Boeing's best interest to hand DL the price sheet and call it good. It isn't worth their time to pursuit a losing battle. Delta will then have no leverage against Airbus. Boeing can then spend more time pursuing orders they actually have a chance of winning.
That Boeing was pissed at Richard's arrogant comments about the 777 are correct. That's widely known in the business - and it was also a blatantly loaded statement (as Richard was referring to tear downs but didn't clarify, likely on purpose). The rest...no idea. But if it wasn't already, Boeing & Delta don't have a good relationship.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by n7371f
That Boeing was pissed at Richard's arrogant comments about the 777 are correct. That's widely known in the business - and it was also a blatantly loaded statement (as Richard was referring to tear downs but didn't clarify, likely on purpose). The rest...no idea. But if it wasn't already, Boeing & Delta don't have a good relationship.
Agreed. I just don't see any saving it at this point. Delta has only hurt themselves. Airbus will be able to demand a higher price in the future as they know they are Delta's only option.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz

Agreed. I just don't see any saving it at this point. Delta has only hurt themselves. Airbus will be able to demand a higher price in the future as they know they are Delta's only option.
I realize you have a heavy Boeing tilt based on many of your posts I have seen. But this is a ridiculous statement. With your logic that would mean Southwest is getting ripped off by Boeing since airbus has no chance. American secured a very nice deal from Airbus while many believed they would only order the 737 family. I get it. You like Boeing, but delta is certainly not hurting themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.