Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deadhead crew boarding as pre-boards?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kb9522
The difference being that business travelers have actually paid the airline for the space.

This "crew bags are really, really important" argument is the most ridiculous thing I've read on this site in a while.
They become really, really important to you if you are on the connecting flight that crew is working, and you have to wait for the crew to go to baggage claim and get their gate checked bags. Get over yourselves. Crew IS more-important than you in A LOT of cases. Delta can operate a flight without you or by compensating you to go away. Same can't be said for crew in many cases.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by bubbashow
They become really, really important to you if you are on the connecting flight that crew is working, and you have to wait for the crew to go to baggage claim and get their gate checked bags. Get over yourselves. Crew IS more-important than you in A LOT of cases. Delta can operate a flight without you or by compensating you to go away. Same can't be said for crew in many cases.
They don't need to check and pick up the carousel. The last time I had to valet check a bag (CRJ) I dropped it off in the jetway and it was waiting for me on the jetway as I deplaned at my destination... and I was in row 2.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:54 am

They don't need to check and pick up the carousel. The last time I had to valet check a bag (CRJ) I dropped it off in the jetway and it was waiting for me on the jetway as I deplaned at my destination... and I was in row 2.
They don't do that with non-regional jets.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
They don't do that with non-regional jets.
But the point is that they could for crew bags.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
But the point is that they could for crew bags.
They definitely do, though I don't know why (maybe a late arriving deadhead crew?). They just use the same gate tags as mainline flights use for strollers and wheelchairs.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:18 pm

I've also seen a large number of crew members, deadheading or otherwise, bringing massively oversized bags on... In particular, I tend to notice when my jacket gets crushed when they try to ram their giant suitcases into the closet. There is absolutely no reason they can't gate check and have their bags brought out to the jetway after everyone deplanes (except for maybe unions ).
Delta is a non union airline other than the pilots and dispatchers. They are the least unionized major airline. SWA is the most heavily unionized despite press reports to the contrary. Flight crews are authorized 3 bags as they fly trips up to 12 days long. There are many flight attendants who will however take things to a extreme or they are in training to be Sherpas! Deadhead crew members should board with zone 1.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:10 pm

The difference being that business travelers have actually paid the airline for the space.

This "crew bags are really, really important" argument is the most ridiculous thing I've read on this site in a while.
Keep telling yourself that. Crew bags WILL trump the highest paying D1 ticket if absolutely necessary. If my bag as a crew member doesn't get on the flight, neither do I, and then another flight down the line is affected.

Let's be be more realistic though: Crew should board early-ish (hence why I board in SKY). This is after Pre boards, D1/F, but before basic Y. If a bag needs to be bumped/checked, let it be a Y pax in Zone 3. Don't inconvenience crew or premium pax. Personally, when I travel for pleasure as a revenue pax, I rarely take a carry-on that can't fit under my seat and check the rest. I hate lugging around a suitcase for a living, and enjoy it being automatically transferred for me when flying for pleasure.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Keep telling yourself that. Crew bags WILL trump the highest paying D1 ticket if absolutely necessary. If my bag as a crew member doesn't get on the flight, neither do I, and then another flight down the line is affected.

Let's be be more realistic though: Crew should board early-ish (hence why I board in SKY). This is after Pre boards, D1/F, but before basic Y. If a bag needs to be bumped/checked, let it be a Y pax in Zone 3. Don't inconvenience crew or premium pax. Personally, when I travel for pleasure as a revenue pax, I rarely take a carry-on that can't fit under my seat and check the rest. I hate lugging around a suitcase for a living, and enjoy it being automatically transferred for me when flying for pleasure.
You still haven't explained why valet checking isn't an option. On the other hand, I have explained why valet checking is not an inconvenience.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:22 pm

You still haven't explained why valet checking isn't an option.
As someone above mentioned, this is NOT an option when traveling mainline. If you are on an RJ flight, then yes, valet is a good option. I've done that plenty of times. But mainline ops do NOT valet check crew bags as part of normal SOP. Another issue is time. When we are deadheading, we often hit the ground running.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I don't see how this could even remotely offend you. Airline crew often work 3-4 day (or longer) trips during which they have to have clothes to wear in their crew bags. What would happen if crew boarded last, had to gate check their bags, and then the bags were lost? This would be incredibly disruptive for the remaining portion of their trip.
I guess it is not disruptive at all for passengers to bring their clothes in a carryon and to arrive finding their gatechecked bag is gone, and they have nothing.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Crew bags WILL trump the highest paying D1 ticket if absolutely necessary
Nobody is disputing that.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
You still haven't explained why valet checking isn't an option. On the other hand, I have explained why valet checking is not an inconvenience.
Time. Bags that are gate checked don't magically appear at the end of the jet bridge when the first people deplane. If the crew has a quick connection time at their destination, every minute counts. They can't just waltz on a flight they are working right before the door closes.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Time. Bags that are gate checked don't magically appear at the end of the jet bridge when the first people deplane. If the crew has a quick connection time at their destination, every minute counts. They can't just waltz on a flight they are working right before the door closes.
But my meeting or event where every minute counts that I need to get to is not important? Seems kinda one sided.

Also mainline, under line, overline, regional, or any other flight if airlines wanted to they could have someone carry the crew bags up immediately via valet. No one is saying offer that option to passengers on mainline just crew.

I don't dispute the need to get to work on your next flight but so are the paying passengers on board. Is the airlines business more important than the paying customers business?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:59 pm

As someone above mentioned, this is NOT an option when traveling mainline. If you are on an RJ flight, then yes, valet is a good option. I've done that plenty of times. But mainline ops do NOT valet check crew bags as part of normal SOP. Another issue is time. When we are deadheading, we often hit the ground running.
And as I mentioned above, that doesn't mean it can't be. Unless SOPs are hand carved in stone with special diamond chisels and can never be changed again. And my experience has always been my valet checked bag is ready by the time I get onto the jetway or a few seconds after that. And this response time should be even better if it is only crew bags being valet checked. You can still "hit the ground running."

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
They have when I've had to valet check. I'm always in the first few rows, so I'm always one of the first to deplane. Grabbed my bag and off I went. Sure, sometimes it took a few seconds, but always <1min.

Guys. We're talking about someone going down the jetway stairs, grabbing a few bags and bringing them back up the stairs. They're not trekking across Himalayas here
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
But my meeting or event where every minute counts that I need to get to is not important? Seems kinda one sided.

Also mainline, under line, overline, regional, or any other flight if airlines wanted to they could have someone carry the crew bags up immediately via valet. No one is saying offer that option to passengers on mainline just crew.

I don't dispute the need to get to work on your next flight but so are the paying passengers on board. Is the airlines business more important than the paying customers business?
How often do you schedule a meeting where you don't buffer in any time to get out of the airport and to your meeting site? I usually fly in the night before, so it's never an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.