Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS - Connecting with baggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
AMS - Connecting with baggage

I couldn't find any recent posts so I'll apologize in advance if I missed something.

My wife and I have DL Award tickets in J JFK-BOS-AMS and we're connecting to AMS-PRG on a KLM paid ticket on a separate PNR. I can book it either on KLM or DL ticket stock if it makes a difference. We have about a 55 minute connection at AMS. Am I correct that I can check bags at JFK through to PRG, just clear Passport Control at AMS and go to the KLM gate without retrieving bags, which will be done at PRG where I can walk through the "Nothing to Declare"? Also, no need to re-clear Security at AMS, correct?

I'm also assuming that our kids who are flying DTW-AMS-PRG in J on a single DL Award PNR can do the same.

I know that they're covered by DL in case of a misconnect.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to cover us in terms of a misconnect. KLM Flex Tickets (expensive)? Trip insurance on KLM Economy Tickets? Will that suffice? If I get Trip Insurance do I need the Flex Ticket or vice versa? Insurance is a lot cheaper. Would insurance on the DL JFK-BOS-AMS cover a misconnect at AMS to another carrier / PNR?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Correct. They can tag your bags all the way through. But, you'll be on your own if you misconnect.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Correct. They can tag your bags all the way through. But, you'll be on your own if you misconnect.
DL will protect if both tickets are DL/KL issued.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Thanks I didn't know that. Did you mean the ticket has to be in the same airlines stock or even if one is DL and the other KL?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Thanks I didn't know that. Did you mean the ticket has to be in the same airlines stock or even if one is DL and the other KL?
As long as each ticket is on one or the other.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Just did similar issue for my wife and daughter:

Original booking was BNA-AMS on DL metal, via DL booking.
Then they decided to make a hop to CPH for a couple days.

Called Delta - they said they can book the KLM flight for them.
She said it's considered a KLM marketed flight, with DL ticket stock and flight (code share) number, yet on KLM metal.

All that to say that "legally", according to Contract of Carriage, since the two flights are on separate reservations, Delta has no requirement/obligation to check the bags all the way through.
However, being as they are "partner airlines", the PNRs are linked, and the counter agent should see the final destination as CPH (after 5 hour layover in AMS), they "should" tag the baggage all the way through.
The DM agent, just had to say that it's technically not required, but shouldn't be a problem.

And I can attest to this - at least out of my local airport: CHA where I frequently depart and they know or have seen me plenty:
I've had several connection additions to my flights through VA in SYD either onto AKL, BNE or CNS that they've tagged baggage all the way through.
Just have to mention the linked additional record and they should have no problem.

Only time I've had an issue was a flight to AKL via SYD many years ago....DL tagged bags all the way through (DL to SYD, then ANZ to AKL)
But on the return, ANZ said they don't have a reciprocal baggage agreement with DL.
So we had to last minute get an Australian VISA, so that we could immigrate to get our bags to recheck them on DL....that sucked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.