Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What segment counts for bag allowances

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

What segment counts for bag allowances

If I have a flight with 2 segments, one is in economy comfort, and the other is in first, which counts towards the baggage allowances? Does the order matter?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The DOT rule is that the allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to the entire ticket. But, if the second segment is on DL as well as the first, DL will generally permit the domestic F allowance. You may confirm this from your e-ticket receipt. It should show the charge, if any, for the first and second bag for each segment.

Last edited by Often1; Nov 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. A nuanced answer, as nothing can be simple
Old Nov 21, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by carzin
Agree with answer above. When I have traveled with non-status companions on their own separate reservation and fully on a Delta itinerary and they were in mixed cabins (with at least one segment in first class), they have always been granted the full F allowance of checked luggage for free for the entire itinerary with no questions asked (the kiosk itself showed the free allotment at check-in). Have a great trip!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you have a U.S. origin or destination, DOT rules apply. If you bought it from a U.S. consumer-directed web site (Delta.com certainly qualifies) your baggage allowance must be stated on the ticket receipt.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Agree with answer above. When I have traveled with non-status companions on their own separate reservation and fully on a Delta itinerary and they were in mixed cabins (with at least one segment in first class), they have always been granted the full F allowance of checked luggage for free for the entire itinerary with no questions asked (the kiosk itself showed the free allotment at check-in). Have a great trip!
I had a couple of mixed cabin flights this summer. I'm only an FO, but Delta says that in regards to check-in you are accorded the Sky Priority treatment on any legs the same day. Now that included bags, but I'm not sure they said that ahead of time.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Looked at my Delta receipt. It shows, across the two segments, one segment (the first class) with free bags. The connecting flight shows a charge. So, who knows which applies
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Looked at my Delta receipt. It shows, across the two segments, one segment (the first class) with free bags. The connecting flight shows a charge. So, who knows which applies
I would be 100% surprised if you didn’t get first class treatment in regards to bags for both segments, as that’s always been my experience, every time, in a scenario such as this.
Seabilly likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

If that is the case, I'll need to put this in my little bag of tricks in the future.... The weight increase to 70 pounds is a huge one, especially when you are out of the country for a month bringing stuff back.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Which segment is first, the F or the Y? Presuming that you are checking the bags through to your final ticketed destination, if the first segment is in F, that should be your only interaction with a DL agent regarding the bags.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

In both instances, the first segment is first.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Which segment is first, the F or the Y? Presuming that you are checking the bags through to your final ticketed destination, if the first segment is in F, that should be your only interaction with a DL agent regarding the bags.
However, even if it was second DL policy is that if one segment is in F, (on domestic)

Thus SAT-LAX in Y on DL1234 with LAX-SEA in F on DL5678 would get a F allowance.

This is done different on international.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:08 pm

make sure it is in the same itinerary. i have had issues flying DL connecting on MU across the pacific and MU would not honor the 2 piece check-in cross the water deal.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A couple times I've flown EU-JFK-LAX where I had (successfully) applied an RUC to JFK-LAX but was in C+ on the first (overwater) segment. Both times I got the 3 bag, 70lb allowance at check in (once LHR, once FRA) The most recent was summer of 2016.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.