Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I Buy Up To Comfort + or F While Using Companion Certificate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

One of my kids and I will be using the Amex companion certificate to head to a funeral. I seem to recall reading that these tickets are now available for upgrades. With me as an FO and her no status, that ain't happening. Soooo, the next best option would be to buy up to C+. Since we will be traveling LAX-GSP redeye the extra space/recline and a free nightcap would be nice.

I assume the experts here will have the answer.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by CalVol
One of my kids and I will be using the Amex companion certificate to head to a funeral. I seem to recall reading that these tickets are now available for upgrades. With me as an FO and her no status, that ain't happening. Soooo, the next best option would be to buy up to C+. Since we will be traveling LAX-GSP redeye the extra space/recline and a free nightcap would be nice.

I assume the experts here will have the answer.

Thanks in advance!
My son was on an Amex companion cert back in October and I was able to buy-up to FC for him. Very easy!
CalVol likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info UKFAN!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
You will have to wait for offers but you may (probably will) get them. We used my wife’s DL Platinum Cert for our trip over Thanksgiving. Did receive buy-up offers (though we didn’t bite). I used my DL Reserve AmEx cert over Christmas and the long legs are in FC but the short legs are in Economy, though Delta has offered buy-up options to FC on the legs where we’re currently in Y.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
You will have to wait for offers but you may (probably will) get them. We used my wife’s DL Platinum Cert for our trip over Thanksgiving. Did receive buy-up offers (though we didn’t bite). I used my DL Reserve AmEx cert over Christmas and the long legs are in FC but the short legs are in Economy, though Delta has offered buy-up options to FC on the legs where we’re currently in Y.
Didn't have to wait long. I just opened up the app and got the buy up offer.

A little pricey, but a pretty good deal imo. $650 total for two tickets to buy up to F for the outbound including the LAX-ATL leg on the A330. It's gonna be a long day leading up to the flight and pretty stressful when we get to GSP dealing with all of mom's affairs and getting ready for the funeral. So, the lie flats and 2.5-3 hours of sleep will be nice. Of course, mileage varies on the value proposition. But, I'm happy with it.
UKFan78 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKFan78
My son was on an Amex companion cert back in October and I was able to buy-up to FC for him. Very easy!
Did buying up cancel out the "no mileage credit" rule so that he actually earned miles/mqd?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, these flights are now eligible for complementary Medallion upgrades. They are still not eligible for mileages upgrades or upgrades with upgrade certificates. Paid upgrade offers have been made since prior to the change allowing complementary medallion upgrades. My guess is that the system has to offer these as an agent upfaring them would be a violation of the LUTXV fare T&C requirements for the Plat certs.
CalVol likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by CalVol
Did buying up cancel out the "no mileage credit" rule so that he actually earned miles/mqd?
Unfortunately not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.