Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying J - 8 hours on 777 or 10 hours on 330?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold

Trying to choose between SEA-AMS on A330 and MSP-AMS on 777. Both currently show J9, hoping to apply GUC.

Looks like your head is really close to your neighbor if you are in the middle 2 seats. Is it weird/awkward, or is it okay?
Hard product looks very similar, is one seat more comfortable than the other?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
I much prefer the A333. Reverse herringbone and just nicer IMO
SJC ORD LDR and jalves like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I prefer the A330. I also prefer longer flights eastbound to Europe, as this allows for a better night's sleep. SEA-AMS would be my choice.

Your head is only going to be close to your neighbor on the 777, but it's really not all that awkward. The center seats face away from each other, and there's enough separation when you're in the sleeping position. If you're flying solo, you should be going for a window seat anyway. 7A/D are the best solo seats on the 777.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I’d pick whichever has the shorter final leg to your ultimate destination. Much rather do 10 hrs D1 + 2 hrs domestic F as opposed to 8 hrs D1 + 4 hrs domestic F.

also, layover/connection times and skyclub (SEA>>MSP) would drive my decision.
jalves and DiverDave like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
What are the departure times? Or rather which one matches your preference? Does one have an earlier departure and thus earlier arrival into AMS? Or does one depart later, thus leaving a little closer to a time you'd actually want to sleep? Or would this be a wash between the two options?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by javabytes
I prefer the A330. I also prefer longer flights eastbound to Europe, as this allows for a better night's sleep. SEA-AMS would be my choice..
I'd second this. The departure time plays a big role but, either way, I'd prefer 10 hours so that you can settle in, eat, and get a decent sleep. With 8 hours flying time you might get 6.5 at best if you hurry.

And I'd agree on picking the 330 over the 777. So with both of those factors favoring SEA it would be an easy call for me.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I think the longer leg in J is better. You'll want to get as much sleep as possible and a longer flight is good for that.
jalves likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Agree that the longer leg in J is the better choice when deciding between these two planes. I give the edge to the A330 over the 777, but its not that big of a difference.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:54 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
10 hours is better to sleep on. I'd take it for that reason alone. The A330 is a wonderful hard product as well.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Where are you originating from? I wouldn't route through SEA if it were going to result in longer total travel time. But then again, I sleep fine on planes and 6 hours is more than enough for me.

Are MQMs a concern for you?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Where are you originating from? I wouldn't route through SEA if it were going to result in longer total travel time. But then again, I sleep fine on planes and 6 hours is more than enough for me.

Are MQMs a concern for you?
Routing through SEA adds about an hour. In addition to being an A330 (which folks seem to prefer), there are still window seats available on SEA-AMS. MSP-AMS has only middles left on the date I'm looking at.

MQMs aren't really a factor ... I qualified for DM today, to everything between now and the end of the year is rollover for next.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pauly_long
Routing through SEA adds about an hour. In addition to being an A330 (which folks seem to prefer), there are still window seats available on SEA-AMS. MSP-AMS has only middles left on the date I'm looking at.

MQMs aren't really a factor ... I qualified for DM today, to everything between now and the end of the year is rollover for next.
Given that the window seats on the 777 don't look out the window anyway I would say that doesn't matter too much. One plus to it though is your head is further away from the aisle on the 777 but I recently flew the A330 in J and my head being closer to the aisle didn't seem to bother me at all.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by pauly_long
Trying to choose between SEA-AMS on A330 and MSP-AMS on 777. Both currently show J9, hoping to apply GUC.

Looks like your head is really close to your neighbor if you are in the middle 2 seats. Is it weird/awkward, or is it okay?
Hard product looks very similar, is one seat more comfortable than the other?

Pretty easy choice. The current 777 J seats are extremely uncomfortable and you have to significantly turn to look at the window whilst the A330s have much better seats facing the window. Overall, on the A330s, the seats offer you a better feeling of space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.