Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to nonrev buddy pass policy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Change to nonrev buddy pass policy

A fa told me the other day that delta is changing how this works on Jan 1st. She told me that the change was being driven by employees especially FAs that were tired of dealing with passengers on buddy passes as well as less senior employees that were never able to get seats.

It seems that in the future all nonrevs have to travel with the delta employee and the priority of the delta employee goes down to the level of the person that they are traveling with. I was told there had been several incidents (some of which were well publicized) as well as a general frustration with some behavior that caused a push for this change. I assume it will also make it easier for less senior employees to get seats if more senior employees with multiple companions have their priority status lowered
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
So I guess more upgrades for some PMs and DMs if this is true.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

I am really not sure what it would mean for upgrades since nonrevs are the last to clear which should mean upgrades have cleared. Where it might add available seats is on delta one routes that are not upgrade eligible minus DM with gucs. I have heard that delta is looking to have some form of fcm for delta one seats especially during slower times of the year but no idea if that is true or something that is being quietly tested.
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by tennessetom
A fa told me the other day that delta is changing how this works on Jan 1st. She told me that the change was being driven by employees especially FAs that were tired of dealing with passengers on buddy passes as well as less senior employees that were never able to get seats.

It seems that in the future all nonrevs have to travel with the delta employee and the priority of the delta employee goes down to the level of the person that they are traveling with. I was told there had been several incidents (some of which were well publicized) as well as a general frustration with some behavior that caused a push for this change. I assume it will also make it easier for less senior employees to get seats if more senior employees with multiple companions have their priority status lowered
Do you mean Medallion level or some sort of internal employee level?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:27 pm

Priority level works that way currently (If on the same reservation). Buddies are always bottom of the list. Active, Retried and family members come before Buddies now. That's not changing.

What is changing is Buddies will no longer be eligible for Business unless traveling with the employee.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:30 pm

This shouldn’t have any effect on revenue customer upgrades since those are processed before buddy passes are given seats. Buddy passes are cleared after all employees, retirees, spouses, travel companions and children anyway. It’s going to help reduce incidents of buddy passes making a scene in Delta One.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Ah that makes sense. The fa that was telling me about it was one that I fly with frequently. Last flight I was on with her in delta one three guys came on that were over served one got rather sick in the bathroom which resulted in the loss of a bathroom for the flight. I wasn't sitting near but asked about the bathroom being out of service and learned about what happened
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:27 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
They must really have had problems with behavior. I can't imagine they're losing out on much D1 revenue from buddy pass pax. I'd like to hear some more of the stories.

How awful of person do you have to be to endanger the job of somebody who gave you a free ride in D1 by misbehaving?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by C W
They must really have had problems with behavior. I can't imagine they're losing out on much D1 revenue from buddy pass pax. I'd like to hear some more of the stories.

How awful of person do you have to be to endanger the job of somebody who gave you a free ride in D1 by misbehaving?
A Buddy Pass is NOT a free ride.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:24 am
C W

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
A Buddy Pass is NOT a free ride.
A ride for taxes and airport fees.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Old news....
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:56 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by C W
I think buddy passes come with some substantial co-pays. Certainly not close to the cost of a D1 fare, but not small (in the multiple hundreds of dollars range, IIRC).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by C W
Incorrect... charges include a base price plus a mileage based incremental charge topped off by the taxes and fees you mention.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by xooz
Incorrect... charges include a base price plus a mileage based incremental charge topped off by the taxes and fees you mention.
Correct. And now, with the earlier mentioned restriction of a Buddy Pass holder's ineligibility for D1 unless travelling with the employee, it will make Buddy Passes a lot closer in price to a coach ticket with the coach ticket providing a booked seat, not standby. A long overdue change! ^
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:53 am
C W

Originally Posted by xooz
Thanks for the correction.

Anyway, doesn’t change my astonishment at people who would misbehave to the detriment of the employee giving them a generous gift.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.