Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changes in service on flights < 350 miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes in service on flights < 350 miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
No service at all except F on DTW to MDW or ORD flights even though Southwest can manage to get a beverage service in that short of a flight and AA provided a beverage service on DTW/ORD when I use to fly that route (haven't flown AA in a few years so not sure if that's still the case).

Delta should at provide a beverage service in at least C+ since they are advertisi free alcohol as a perk.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
US companies are cheap.

AF serves in J a meal CDG-LHR which is 216 miles.

On an A321.

No reason DL can't do the same.
I've gotten drink service and a snack (nice little sandwich) on ZRH-GVA, which is 144 miles. Honestly, it's kind of pointless at that level, since you're in the air about 25 minutes.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:38 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I've gotten drink service and a snack (nice little sandwich) on ZRH-GVA, which is 144 miles. Honestly, it's kind of pointless at that level, since you're in the air about 25 minutes.
I got a meal in LH J on DUS-FRA, 118 miles
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How does that behavior cost DL more money in beverage service? It's not like FAs can go home early, parachuting out at 30K feet...

Having fewer options, means fewer beverages need to be loaded as its easier to predict the items people will choose and only stock the minimum needed to supply pax. That translates to less weight, which means less fuel burn and given the scale at which DL operates, the savings would be not insignificant over an entire year. Delta would also choose the options that are the least expensive (perhaps apple juice rather than orange juice) and a simpler cart may mean lower costs to the caterer through less labor, those savings could be passed on to DL.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Situation
Having fewer options, means fewer beverages need to be loaded as its easier to predict the items people will choose and only stock the minimum needed to supply pax. That translates to less weight, which means less fuel burn and given the scale at which DL operates, the savings would be not insignificant over an entire year. Delta would also choose the options that are the least expensive (perhaps apple juice rather than orange juice) and a simpler cart may mean lower costs to the caterer through less labor, those savings could be passed on to DL.
IME, Delta caters for a full beverage service regardless of flight length. At least on the sub 250 flights, prior to this change, beverage carts had all available items even if they were not offered.

From a logistics standpoint it may make more sense to have caters stock the beverage carts consistently. They can then deliver X number of carts (depending on flight length/need) to an aircraft without needing to make sure that a specifically stocked cart is delivered to the correct aircraft.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by Often1
Wrong.

US consumers are cheap. While most European carriers are dialing back Y service on short-haul, free booze and some food are part of the expectation and thus part of the fare.

Serving those quick meals typically means 4+ FA's, while the US standard is 3.

All of the complaining runs straight into the brick wall of market research which is pretty clear in this country, e.g., people want lower fares over higher service standards.
I haven't seen too many low fares lately. I want better service for what I'm paying.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
About 5 minutes into service today on DL 768 PBI-ATL they announce they are out of main cabin snacks.
First I ever heard that announcement.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77
About 5 minutes into service today on DL 768 PBI-ATL they announce they are out of main cabin snacks.
First I ever heard that announcement.
Disgraceful. It's sad that Delta is now making billions in profits but offered a better product and customer service when they were in bankruptcy.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:09 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Disgraceful. It's sad that Delta is now making billions in profits but offered a better product and customer service when they were in bankruptcy.
That really shouldn't be a surprise though. In bankruptcy everyone was hurting (consumer and business) so they had to win what few travel dollars were out there. Now with consolidation (discussed ad-nauseam) and a strong economy, there just ins't the need to compete for each dollar. Truth be told, Delta will sell and fill the seats whether those on FT like it or not.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Was in F and boarded late as I was talking to a friend.
Once I got on it was in zone 1 and when I was seated the rest of the cabin had a PDB (was last to board in FC)
When the FA came buy to collect cups (before the door was closed) I asked if I could order a beverage and was denied due to time constraints.
Door closed 2 minutes early and was about 25 minutes until we took off and the time I wanted a drink.
Paid F for those that think I am complaining after an upgrade.
BOS based crew.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Is it a new policy for Delta to start using plastic instead of glass in F for drinks on short flights now? I've been on four short gaconnection flights in the past couple weeks in F (atl/ags, ags/atl, dtw/mdw and ORD/DTW) and with the exception of the ORD/DTW flight they used disposable cups and I also had the same experience in October on a DTW/EWR flight.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C W
Agreed. I had a decent lunch and champagne and tea on DUS-LCY, 291 miles.

I don't know if they're just trying to save catering costs or somehow believe the FA's can't actually do it, but it is a very bad decision from a passenger experience perspective. It is the kind of decision that can dually upset frequent and infrequent travelers. Frequent travelers notice the downgrade and reduction in quality compared to other airlines. Infrequent travelers don't know that the lack of service is due to flight length and can confuse it with bigger cuts.
For those of us who are old enough, we remember getting a full breakfast in both F and Y on DFW-MEM, even though the flight was only 55 minutes. The FA's had to fly down the aisle to get the service done.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Is it a new policy for Delta to start using plastic instead of glass in F for drinks on short flights now? I've been on four short gaconnection flights in the past couple weeks in F (atl/ags, ags/atl, dtw/mdw and ORD/DTW) and with the exception of the ORD/DTW flight they used disposable cups and I also had the same experience in October on a DTW/EWR flight.
That happened to me on a MEM-ATL flight. The flight attendant said she was using plastic so people could keep their drink longer. Weird.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
European carriers can provide full service on a mainline flight and a hot meal in business on a flight lasting less than an hour and DL can't even pass out a soda and bag of pretzels on a flight that's longer. You tell me what we should think...
That Delta is more profitable than the European carriers and have lower costs?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Catering errors (as this clearly was) happened even in bankruptcy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.