FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Changes in service on flights < 350 miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1877427-changes-service-flights-350-miles.html)

TheViking Nov 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Changes in service on flights < 350 miles

I learned something new today - flying MSP->MDW in E+ I was a bit confused when they said 'due to the short duration of our flight, we only offer delta express service of water and coffee on this flight'. So naturally I asked @Delta on Twitter, to learn that they have a new policy for E+ for flights < 350 miles - complimentary drinks don't apply.

Was this announced somewhere and I just missed it? I am sure its not that long ago I had E+ on that route and got whatever I wanted to drink.

And really sucks since MSP->MDW is a 348 mile flight, that usually is flown around 430 miles...

KDCAflyer Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm

It's been discussed.

DL's latest ridiculous cost cutting mode that deepens the culture of lazy American FAs. Lots of other airlines have full service on routes shorter than that.

AANYC1981 Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

The “Express” service calls for at the very least beer and wine for C+....please complain and tell Delta.

TheViking Nov 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 29057712)
The “Express” service calls for at the very least beer and wine for C+....please complain and tell Delta.

Well I asked them on Twitter and they informed me that it doesn't apply to flights < 350 miles.

When I read their small print on their web site, it says 'complimentary beer and wine in economy comfort is offered on flights that offer beverage service in the Main Cabin'

I am guessing that since 'Express' service is not 'beverage service' - they have an out.

What BS.

hi55us Nov 13, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm also surprised they're also doing the express service on such a competitive route, MSP-CHI has competition from AA/UA/WN/NK.

pierazm Nov 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Appears to be a discrepancy in the message.

I called and wrote my complaints to Delta this evening. They actually already returned my call but pointed that the new policy was in force... However, I found the following information on the Website and really feel cheated...

In addition to standard onboard fare, you can snack better with Delta Comfort+. Enjoy fresh fruit and other premium snacks on many routes over 900 miles when meal service is not available. Plus, on flights over 250 miles, Starbucks® coffee, beer, wine and spirits for 21+.:td:

AANYC1981 Nov 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Keep complaining....DL is monitoring feedback during this launch of reduced service.

ATOBTTR Nov 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 29057692)
It's been discussed.

DL's latest ridiculous cost cutting mode that deepens the culture of lazy American FAs. Lots of other airlines have full service on routes shorter than that.

Yep - we got a full meal (breakfast) on LCY-DUB, which is 299 miles, on BA (E-170). Sad that DL can't even complete a beverage service to ~5 rows of C+ on a route like this.

xliioper Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Here's the thread discussing the changes. You should still get beer and wine in C+ on flights under 350 miles and greater than 250 --

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...e-flights.html

DLGrkItalNY Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm

US companies are cheap.

AF serves in J a meal CDG-LHR which is 216 miles.

On an A321.

No reason DL can't do the same.

javabytes Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY (Post 29057978)
US companies are cheap.

AF serves in J a meal CDG-LHR which is 216 miles.

On an A321.

No reason DL can't do the same.

True, but I interpret that more as an apology for the fact that they're too cheap to give you a real seat.

Still, if you're not happy with the service, send Ed a note and tell him what you think about his prime real estate.

C W Nov 13, 2017 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 29057872)
Yep - we got a full meal (breakfast) on LCY-DUB, which is 299 miles, on BA (E-170). Sad that DL can't even complete a beverage service to ~5 rows of C+ on a route like this.

Agreed. I had a decent lunch and champagne and tea on DUS-LCY, 291 miles.

I don't know if they're just trying to save catering costs or somehow believe the FA's can't actually do it, but it is a very bad decision from a passenger experience perspective. It is the kind of decision that can dually upset frequent and infrequent travelers. Frequent travelers notice the downgrade and reduction in quality compared to other airlines. Infrequent travelers don't know that the lack of service is due to flight length and can confuse it with bigger cuts.

readywhenyouare Nov 14, 2017 12:19 am

There's no excuse for this. Delta once served full meals in coach on flights as short as ATL-MIA. Incredibly lazy flight attendants.

DesertNomad Nov 14, 2017 7:47 am

It's been discussed.

When I flew EK DXB-MCT (217mi) in 1994, there was a hot meal service in Y on a 727. No idea if they still do this.

vincentharris Nov 14, 2017 7:57 am

It's been discussed.

SEA-GEG AS does a "full" bring the cart out service on a 737 (though its only OJ, Water, or Coffee)

SEA-GEG DL refuses to do ANYTHING (even if you ask) on the same flight aboard a CRJ-700

AS somehow does the cart service and DL does nothing while AS does this on a plane twice the size (this was before the new "express" announcement too by DL)

FYI this flight is exactly 200 miles.