Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:36 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
maybe next time they will think twice about not picking the seats they want.
Hi everybody, next flight let's choose the seat we don't want.
pvn and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
First of all I want to thank you again for being nice
I am the person who does everything possible to avoid the middle seat so I will book flights at times that are not the times that work best for me to get an aisle seat and I will be more than happy to buy economy comfort to get an aisle seat however most of the time on the flights I want none of the seats are
available.
You claim you are someone "who does everything possible to avoid the middle seat" but then admit below to sittig in a middle seat just to spite a couple when they offered you a way out of the middle seat?

Yes when I had to experience the couple who intentionally booked the window and aisle seat and when the lady was sitting in my middle seat when I went to sit down explained how nice it was of her to switch with me it did not fly with me so yes I made my point so maybe next time they will think twice about not picking the seats they want. Guess what they were the ones who were uncomfortable on the flight and were very quiet so it was a nice flight considering they were probably afraid to stick their arms in my seat.
*sigh* You took joy in causing misery of others (or what you perceived as their misery) - others who certainly believed they (and by many other people's standards as well) did no wrong. They played a "game", and when it didn't go their way, accepted their own "loss" and offered you the better seat. This couple is far from the only who plays this game, and many others don't view it as wrong, and this was certainly better than other couples who play the game, leave someone in the middle seat, and then still pass stuff back and forth or talk over the person in the middle seat. While a good chunk of them are repeats, DL transports 180 million passengers a year - that's a lot of viewpoints on what's best and some of those may conflict with yours just because like in all aspects of life, people value different things and prioritize different things when traveling and flying. Even if you disagree with their views and with DL's policies that enabled them to do it, at least in this case, that was no reason to be spiteful to this couple and take joy in their discomfort. That, frankly, says a lot more about you and the type of person you are and is mildly (if not moreso) sadistic. You chose to be sadistic towards this couple rather than even viewing this as a positive that worked out better for you in the end. It's not an unlikely probability that had this couple booked either aisle-middle or middle-window, that someone else would have taken the aisle or window seat before you (as it's unlikely you selected the first middle seat on the plane), and then you would have taken another middle seat - a middle seat between two people who may not have been traveling together and therefore, in almost all probability not wanted to switch, thus leaving you with no option out of the middle seat. In a sense, you were given a gift, but in your spiteful nature, you took it out on this couple who offered you something better than what you were expecting and instead you took joy in causing them discomfort in the process, more so because of your displeasure at how the airline allowed these passengers to book the seats. I'm not worried if you don't view that as "nice" because I don't need praise or recognition from people with such views and outlooks towards other people.
Taz, PurdueFlyer, chica and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I don't see booking the window and aisle as a scam. After all, two people, two seats. And if that leaves only the middle for people booking later...that's what they deserve for booking late.

But I DO think it's naieve to do this. After all, the vast majority of domestic US flights are full. Odds are against this actually working anyhow. It's a shallow hope and when you look at the seat map, it's obvious someone thinks they are being clever.

But it's not a scam. It violates no rules.
If it's a business ticket it's not my fault for booking later, and in fact the person buying a last minute M,B,Y fare could be paying better than double what a person who booked a fare three months out paid. Delta could help with that problem though by keeping more seats blocked as preferred seats for PM's and DM's or people on Y fares.

It is perfectly legal for a couple travelling together to book a window and aisle, though I think it's wishful thinking, especially towards the front of the cabin, seeing how full flights go out these days. What iritates me though is when a couple does this and doesn't offer to swap the middle seat out and then insists on chatting over you the entire flight. Fortunately I don't have middle seats very often but one time sat in C+ in a middle seat do to rebooking because of irrops and a couple did just that. It wasn't a bad middle seat since it was an exit row where the aircraft had the boarding door and more room than a first class seat but neither the aisle or window offered to switch but they insisted on chatting with each other most of the flight which was very annoying. If they insist on talking to each other in flight then at least offer to swap the middle seat.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
...What iritates me though is when a couple does this and doesn't offer to swap the middle seat out and then insists on chatting over you the entire flight. Fortunately I don't have middle seats very often but one time sat in C+ in a middle seat do to rebooking because of irrops and a couple did just that. It wasn't a bad middle seat since it was an exit row where the aircraft had the boarding door and more room than a first class seat but neither the aisle or window offered to switch but they insisted on chatting with each other most of the flight which was very annoying. If they insist on talking to each other in flight then at least offer to swap the middle seat.
Did you offer to switch with one of them so they could chat more easily and they refused? Genuine question, as it’s unclear from your description.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
[QUOTE=dalehill;30354807]

Did you offer to switch with one of them so they could chat more easily and they refused? Genuine question, as it’s unclear from your description.
[/felt QUOTE]

No and in hindsight I should have. I felt awkward asking someone to swap an aisle or window for a middle since it was clearly a worse seat, but seeing the circumstances....
dalehill likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
My wife and I always book aisle and window when flying in Economy or Comfort+. I'd say we have about a 25-33% success rate on snagging an empty middle seat - certainly worth it to me. Most of our joint flights are to/from SFO, so we're in the exit row of the 739ER a lot. I get the window seat with massive legroom, she takes the aisle that has no more legroom than a standard coach seat. The sad thing is that Delta charges extra to move into an exit row seat, and people will pay it to sit in the middle seat of that row (same as every other middle seat in Economy).

My wife is 5'5" and sleeps the entire flight, so doesn't care about legroom or space. We always offer to switch out the aisle seat with the middle person - never had them turn it down. To be honest, a person turning down the swap would be funny to me, because I barely interact at all with my wife during flights (seeing as she's asleep).
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select

I always say that I will be more than happy to switch an aisle for an aisle to help them however I prefer an aisle because I like to get up during the flight and all they hear is that I am unwilling to resolve their problem which disappoints them and makes for an uncomfortable situation if you get stuck sitting next to the person you are unable to help

Yep, that happened to me recently on a LGW-JFK flight. They called me to the desk before the flight asking if I'd be willing to switch my seat to accommodate a family that wanted to sit together. I didn't want to move, as I had paid extra to choose that specific seat. I did say I'd move if they upgraded me (ha) and they said sure, that will be $600, please. Yeah, no thanks. Anyway, the whole family glared at me for being difficult, but eventually they did manage to find someone to switch so they'd all be within a row of each other.

But of course, guess who I ended up sitting next to for over 8 hrs. Yep, the dad. Talk about awkward.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Freckles68
[/LEFT]

Yep, that happened to me recently on a LGW-JFK flight. They called me to the desk before the flight asking if I'd be willing to switch my seat to accommodate a family that wanted to sit together. I didn't want to move, as I had paid extra to choose that specific seat. I did say I'd move if they upgraded me (ha) and they said sure, that will be $600, please. Yeah, no thanks. Anyway, the whole family glared at me for being difficult, but eventually they did manage to find someone to switch so they'd all be within a row of each other.

But of course, guess who I ended up sitting next to for over 8 hrs. Yep, the dad. Talk about awkward.
IMO if you've paid extra for some specific (type of) seat, a DL employee should never be permitted to ask you to give it up for free.
IndyHoosier, MarkP24 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO if you've paid extra for some specific (type of) seat, a DL employee should never be permitted to ask you to give it up for free.
I guess they should just tell that FAM to get stuffed, eh?
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Freckles68

Guess being together wasn’t worth $600 to Dad. I wouldn’t feel awkward since he wasn’t willing to pony up the $$ GA indicated it would take to accommodate their request.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
I'm so sorry, I forgot this was a Delta thread! Whoops. I was on BA. Anyway, they offered me a different seat, but I didn't want to move. Not their business, but I have anxiety issues and have a hard time dealing with being surrounded by people on all sides, especially behind me. So believe it or not, I paid, 6 months in advance, a $58 seat selection fee just to make sure I could sit in the very last row of the plane. I know that's not the done thing, but it is for me. And no way was I moving to the middle of some crowded section. I would've freaked out. But again, I planned and paid for my own circumstances 6 month in advance. I wasn't just saying no to be difficult or prove a point. I knew what my own personal difficulties were and took care of it well in advance.

ANYWAY, it was a big family. Parents and 4 kids, youngest was around 10-12. It was a bit much to expect so many people to move to accommodate them.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Segments

Guess being together wasn’t worth $600 to Dad. I wouldn’t feel awkward since he wasn’t willing to pony up the $$ GA indicated it would take to accommodate their request.
No, they wanted to charge ME $600 for an upgrade to accommodate their request! I politely declined that "offer."
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not everyone gets to see their loved one everyday. Sometimes the plane is the only place I get to meet up with loved ones/friends due to work travel schedule. Labor Day weekend I got to see my mother for three whole days for first time in two months. We booked on same flight out of town we meet up in, in order to have a few more hours together. I've done a SDC to get on flight husband was flying, not having seen him in a month. Etc, etc...
This. I haven't been home and thus haven't seen Mrs. Lee in about two weeks. She's flying out here to hang out for a few days, and then we're flying back to JFK together, and from there we'll split up again so she can go home and I continue on to DFW for another week. So yes, while we are perfectly capable of being apart (and in fact we often sit separately on purpose on shorter flights) we want to sit together for the extra 8 hours of that daytime TATL flight.

When we booked, there were not seats together in our cabin, so we booked an aisle in one row and a window in the row in front (two seat rows), with the goal of asking one of our rowmates to swap - aisle-for-aisle or window-for-window, and just one row forward/back.

Luckily, two days ago, a pair of seats together opened up on the opposite side of the cabin, so we've switched to those and I can now stop following this thread. Sheesh.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:07 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
This is no different than basically every other contentious topic in this forum. You've got a bunch of people who basically think "well *I* personally don't care about X, therefore it's ridiculous than anyone else cares about X and those people deserve nothing" and then you have a bunch of people who actually understand that humans have different circumstances and preferences and have some empathy and decency.
wrp96, dalehill, MarkP24 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
This is no different than basically every other contentious topic in this forum. You've got a bunch of people who basically think "well *I* personally don't care about X, therefore it's ridiculous than anyone else cares about X and those people deserve nothing" and then you have a bunch of people who actually understand that humans have different circumstances and preferences and have some empathy and decency.
Yes, and I was not telling that family to "get stuffed," as you put it, by declining to move from the seat I had chosen and paid for 6 months earlier because of my own very human circumstances. They had a preference for sitting together; I had a medical need for my seat being what it was--the worst seat in the house, I might add. And I'm sorry, but I made specific arrangements for that in advance, at my own expense, without inconveniencing anyone else. So you suggesting earlier that I should have given up my seat to avoid "telling that family to get stuffed" kind of goes against what you are saying in this post. You judged me without taking into account that I might have circumstances that made me need to stay where I was, and assumed I was just being mean to this poor family.

This "poor family" who, I might add, caused havoc for several passengers and the woman manning the desk (which was not at the gate). She had to call many of us over the loudspeaker to gather our bags and go over there to find out that we were being asked to move. Of course we all lost our seats in the waiting area too. And it took a while to rearrange people just to accommodate this "poor family."
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Freckles68; Oct 27, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.