Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP lacks international connections

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
MSP was the hub for Northwest Orient and DTW was Republic. When they merged they kept both hubs. I don't know why they would keep two hubs so close together, I suspect they kept MSP because it was corporate HQ for NW.

Honestly they could de-hub MSP and not suffer and may do so in the future.
For legal and logistical reasons i doubt it will be dehubbed anytime soon. Heck the HND flight can't be moved elsewhere. Lots of regional that would be to far for DTW/ATL.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
While hubs do need a significant O/D, they still all rely on connecting traffic. Even the largest hubs wouldn't have as many flights without the connections. Therefore, MSP is "competing" against other hubs. DTW, ATL, and JFK offer many more and better options to Europe. SEA offers better options to Asia.

ORD isn't much of a factor into this at all, it's about the hubs for each airline. No one knows what the future will hold but I would be skeptical that MSP will be significantly more than it is now.

The market is what the market is. If the airlines felt there should be more O/D to a market, there would be.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
To add to the list:

PUJ - seasonal to Punta Cana, DR

There also seem to be some seasonal NS flights to LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica)
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
MSP was the hub for Northwest Orient and DTW was Republic. When they merged they kept both hubs. I don't know why they would keep two hubs so close together, I suspect they kept MSP because it was corporate HQ for NW.

I also used to perceive that DTW and MSP were close but the distance between DTW and MSP is roughly the same as CLT and ORD, and less than IAD and EWR. Nobody is suggesting that AA or UA drop one hub from those pairs.

The reason two hubs exist is because each serves a purpose, and the purpose of each does not need to be identical. There are few things that you can bank on, but one is that DL will close one of these hubs when it is in their best interest to do so. And in the meantime, utilize the one that works best for you.
bonoman likes this.

Last edited by ecaarch; Nov 18, 2017 at 12:02 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mules
They used to do Rome in the summers. Has that ended?
Delta ended the service after poor yields.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by indufan
While hubs do need a significant O/D, they still all rely on connecting traffic. Even the largest hubs wouldn't have as many flights without the connections. Therefore, MSP is "competing" against other hubs. DTW, ATL, and JFK offer many more and better options to Europe. SEA offers better options to Asia.

ORD isn't much of a factor into this at all, it's about the hubs for each airline. No one knows what the future will hold but I would be skeptical that MSP will be significantly more than it is now.

The market is what the market is. If the airlines felt there should be more O/D to a market, there would be.
DL’s issue with MSP as a long-haul international hub was that unless you were originating at MSP and/or terminating at a DL/Skyteam airline hub abroad, you had to double connect; and that’s just not very competitive, especially given the plethora of one-stop options if routing via other airports/airlines.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold

Not so at all. NW had a large operation in DTW and certainly RC considered MSP a hub, it was larger than DTW.

and MSP was, in fact, HQ for BOTH airlines.

Given the large F500 corporates in MSP, there is little chance they would de-hub it as you suggest.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Not so at all. NW had a large operation in DTW and certainly RC considered MSP a hub, it was larger than DTW.

and MSP was, in fact, HQ for BOTH airlines.

Given the large F500 corporates in MSP, there is little chance they would de-hub it as you suggest.
I suspect the more important reason why DL would not de-hub MSP is that it is a baby fortress.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:56 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I suspect the more important reason why DL would not de-hub MSP is that it is a baby fortress.
I don't know why you think that would stop them after what happened at CVG and MEM.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ecaarch
I also used to perceive that DTW and MSP were close but the distance between DTW and MSP is roughly the same as CLT and ORD, and less than IAD and EWR. Nobody is suggesting that AA or US drop one hub from those pairs.
In fact, it is roughly the same between DTW-ATL as it is DTW-MSP and actually shorter DTW-JFK.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by UAHater
I'm just wondering why MSP has so few international connections compared to other airports in metropolitan areas of the equivalent size, namely SEA, DTW or DEN. For the record, MSP only has CDG, LHR, AMS and HND with DL, along with a 3x weekly KL to AMS, summer seasonal AF CDG, 4x weekly KEF FI service along with seasonal DL service. There is a weekly Condor service to FRA for a shot summer window, a couple of weekly SY and DL services to beach destinations in Mexico as well as several daily Canadian services with both AC and DL.

Notably missing are year round FRA service and Mexican carriers.

There are several reasons that I can think of:
- Severe seasonal demand fluctuations
- No major urban areas within driving distance
- Overshadowed by ORD
- Relatively small non-white population??

But I also find it surprising given:
- Fortune 500 companies (i.e. 3M, Cargill, etc)
- Major DL hub

Finally, what are the prospects for more international service in the future? Could we see PVG-MSP or HKG-MSP? FRA-MSP? or Volaris/AeroMexico?
You're missing the biggest reason why: MSP is a fortress hub. The lack of competition means DL has no incentive to fight for traffic and diversify its international offerings. It can control the local traffic and flow them over joint venture hubs instead. That leaves MSP with a fair amount of volume to Europe, but little variety. It's a big cash cow for DL, but the local customer loses out on destinations and alternative airlines (and pays more to boot).
In2ishn likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by UAHater
I'm just wondering why MSP has so few international connections compared to other airports in metropolitan areas of the equivalent size, namely SEA, DTW or DEN. For the record, MSP only has CDG, LHR, AMS and HND with DL, along with a 3x weekly KL to AMS, summer seasonal AF CDG, 4x weekly KEF FI service along with seasonal DL service. There is a weekly Condor service to FRA for a shot summer window, a couple of weekly SY and DL services to beach destinations in Mexico as well as several daily Canadian services with both AC and DL.

Notably missing are year round FRA service and Mexican carriers.

There are several reasons that I can think of:
- Severe seasonal demand fluctuations
- No major urban areas within driving distance
- Overshadowed by ORD
- Relatively small non-white population??

But I also find it surprising given:
- Fortune 500 companies (i.e. 3M, Cargill, etc)
- Major DL hub

Finally, what are the prospects for more international service in the future? Could we see PVG-MSP or HKG-MSP? FRA-MSP? or Volaris/AeroMexico?
MSP maintains international loads in the low 80% range. It has pretty respectable PDEW (Which is a measure or Originating and Destination traffic).

MSP-PVG - 36, MSP-TYO - 30, MSP-LHR - 118, MSP-AMS - 57, MSP-CDG - 57, MSP-FRA - 48.

By those measures DL could go after MSP-FRA and it would likely do fairly well. But I doubt it will happen because DTW has to compete with LH on DTW-FRA.

The MSP airport has been courting Mexican carriers for almost a decade. I think they made some progress on it in 2016, but I think the Trump administration is creating headwinds for business oriented service.

HAHAHAHAHA. MSP typically runs some of the highest profit margins in the network. The Loads and the PDEW support that traffic if not slightly more. The only way MSP gets dehubbed is if they build a new airport across town with more space.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Corporate contracts-- for Travel and/or Cargo, [with supporting supplemental O/D data to justify the route] play a pretty large chunk of the role in determining intercontinental flights.

Such as the case for CDG-IND on DL, and LHR-RDU on AA. Neither of these cities are currently hubs for either airline [although at one point AA had Focus City/Small Hub at RDU] but despite this, there are contracts in place by some large corporations to justify such intercontinental flights.

If you think that there are few International flights out of MSP compared to the "glory days" to when it was a fortress hub for NW, look no further than to STL, and what happened there when AA gutted STL after the merger with TWA was complete. Not a single International flight is currently flown from STL, with the exception of service to CUN, PUJ, and YYZ--- none of which are flown by AA. With that said, European discounter WowAir is slated to begin service out of STL in 2018.

And yes, probably the only thing keeping MSP's Intercontinental flights are to prevent litigation. [unlike AA quickly cutting the cord on all international flights out of the former TWA hub at STL]
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I think tourism is the difference between SEA, DEN, and to a lesser extent DTW. Sure MSP has a great business environment and a fairly wealthy/mobile population, but comparatively, it just isn't a huge draw for foreign tourists.

Almost every foreign tourist I meet either goes to NYC or LA first. Even Chicago is usually further down their list compared to DC, MIA, SFO.

Originally Posted by Max M
Corporate contracts-- for Travel and/or Cargo, [with supporting supplemental O/D data to justify the route] play a pretty large chunk of the role in determining intercontinental flights.

Such as the case for CDG-IND on DL, and LHR-RDU on AA. Neither of these cities are currently hubs for either airline [although at one point AA had Focus City/Small Hub at RDU] but despite this, there are contracts in place by some large corporations to justify such intercontinental flights.
You really can't compare those two. AA's been flying RDU-LHR (formerly LGW) for over two decades. It hasn't had any rev guarantees for well over a decade and hasn't had any feed since before the recession. Would be more comparable to look at RDU-CDG on DL (CDG has only a few RDU connections/day). In that case, the RDUAA did come through with a decent incentives package just like any other airport does when they want new service (even ATL has been in the news for this recently).

FYI - Every single flight has contracts for pax and cargo, even domestic ones. Source: My own work in RM.

Corporate Contracts != Incentives/Subsidies
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Max M

If you think that there are few International flights out of MSP compared to the "glory days" to when it was a fortress hub for NW, look no further than to STL, and what happened there when AA gutted STL after the merger with TWA was complete. Not a single International flight is currently flown from STL, with the exception of service to CUN, PUJ, and YYZ--- none of which are flown by AA. With that said, European discounter WowAir is slated to begin service out of STL in 2018.

And yes, probably the only thing keeping MSP's Intercontinental flights are to prevent litigation. [unlike AA quickly cutting the cord on all international flights out of the former TWA hub at STL]
MSP is home to many large companies: Target, Best Buy, Cargil, 3M, United Health, General Mills, and more
Minnesota is 12th in Per Capita income
MSP has the largest shopping mall in the US with 40 million annual visitors
A highly educated population with only 3.8? unemployment
And the weather isn't so bad if you're not a wimp

So those things and a lawsuit are the only things keeping MSP a hub

Added:
Not saying it's a huge international destination, I can see ICN and MEX as the only other major international destinations that would make much sense, but it's not going anywhere as a hub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.