Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Gate Employee....the “Boarding Helper”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

First for me today....DL was using a “Boarding Helper” to ensure ATL-PIT left on time. I boarded with Sky, but was sitting in the back due to my BE ticket; so I had a good view of the action.

As people would come on board, the young man would take their carryons and run them to the bin closest to their seats. No one had to “swim-upstream” after placing their bags behind their seats. He was also looking at tickets to discern seats and then run to that row to prep the already seated passengers to get up as their window seat partner was coming down the aisle.

I think he actually shaved 10 minutes off the boarding process.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Never seen that before. Was he a DL employee?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
Never seen that before. Was he a DL employee?
Yes. He had a DL badge and was dressed in civilian "Business Casual".
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe this is a trial run for the holiday season.

I've seen trainee FAs work on board wearing badges and civilian clothes, with an obvious dress code, so the guy might be a new DL employee.

I don't know whether ready reserve folks wear civilian clothes or have DL uniforms.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
That would be awesome if Delta institutes this on all full flights.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe this is a trial run for the holiday season.

I've seen trainee FAs work on board wearing badges and civilian clothes, with an obvious dress code, so the guy might be a new DL employee.

I don't know whether ready reserve folks wear civilian clothes or have DL uniforms.
If it was a Ready Reserve (they handle the early valet program in ATL), they'd be in uniform. ACS and IFS management sometimes help out with flights so that'd be my guess...I haven't heard of any program like this in the works, but it could be an extension of the existing Early Valet service (and it sounds like a great idea!).

Were they wearing a vest like this? If so, probably an ACS manager:

https://johnnyjet-wpengine.netdna-ss...e-2014-010.jpg
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
Were they wearing a vest like this?
No vests. Just a sharp looking guy who was quick on his feet. He would even take the second carryon and put it under the seat for them.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw similar on an AS flight last year, between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not since though.
It would indeed be a very good idea if implemented on every fully booked flight. Not only do you get on quicker, you get off quicker too.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I often carry fragile items along with expensive equipment in my carry-on and would not feel comfortable turning it over to this “helper” to run down the aisle or place under a seat. I would refuse his/her offer of assistance and would be interesting to see their response. As long as it’s voluntary and it works, no problem. Just my two cents and personal comfort level.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
I often carry fragile items along with expensive equipment in my carry-on and would not feel comfortable turning it over to this “helper” to run down the aisle or place under a seat. I would refuse his/her offer of assistance and would be interesting to see their response. As long as it’s voluntary and it works, no problem. Just my two cents and personal comfort level.
In which case i would hope they make you board last.

However your fragile item is subject to being moved on the plane. Can be moved by a passenger even. At least employee is likely to take care not to damage.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:29 am
Suspended

I can see it as a viable experiment...does the savings in delays justify the cost of the wages of the helpers? If it does, then it's a no brainer! Maybe they can be trained to boot poachers, reduce gate lice and enforce boarding order.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by RRDD
Yes. He had a DL badge and was dressed in civilian "Business Casual".
I saw this on my LAX-ATL segment this past Tuesday morning. An older gentleman with Delta credentials hanging around his neck in a dress shirt (no necktie) and slacks but not in FA uniform was in the aisles on our 777 helping put luggage into the bins, and then got off the flight before the door closed.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
In which case i would hope they make you board last.

However your fragile item is subject to being moved on the plane. Can be moved by a passenger even. At least employee is likely to take care not to damage.
If that’s how you feel about my request/stance to handle my own belongings, so be it. Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. But since Delta employees have damaged my checked luggage as well, I don’t draw the same conclusion that an employee will handle a carry-on with any more or less degree of care.

I promise my point is not to start a silly online argument, just a statement.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Maybe it was Delta Early Valet, just instead of being done early was being done by a runner at boarding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.