Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When did DL premium cabin food get so terribly bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When did DL premium cabin food get so terribly bad?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fly747first
Some recent examples:

JFK-ATL
Choice of cold meat plate or chicken salad
The cold plate consisted of literally one piece of cheese and two pieces of roast beef ...
First of all, I would be glad that it was literal cheese and roast beef and not figurative cheese and roast beef (and having been to vegan restaurants with "patty melts" and similar, you should be really glad).

My recent DL food has been pretty decent - 2 D1 breakfasts recently (SFO/JFK/SFO), and a cold lunch salmon salad (MSY/LAX).

I suppose if the brand standard is vomitesque, I should demand compensation, as I did not receive the brand standard.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
USDA protein size is 1 oz. So the poster that claimed 2 oz, DL is already double the USDA rec!
The problem is that when you see Beef Filet, you expect at least 6-8 oz whereas the "Filet" I was served last week on a DeltaOne DCA-LAX dinner was a "Medallion" aka half the size of a small Filet (it was unfornately overcooked which is I think why it was served with steak sauce on top of it)
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by seat38a
At the UA forum, they talk about how terrible UA is and how much better DL is blah blah blah.
It's always that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence..

The UA flights I've taken, food has been solid. Not outstanding, but better than DL. They do run out of snacks though, like you can only have one bag of chips, you can't take two...then just one was left over and I could get the second one after all when the FA came back up to the front.

AA has generally been the best in the food department.

The general trend though is that for most airlines food quality is decreasing. KE used to be good, now is really poor. CI is mediocre through outright bad. AY is getting worse. TG is also pretty bland now. CA is the only airline with good selection and food at the moment, at least of the ones I've flown.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Miesque
The problem is that when you see Beef Filet, you expect at least 6-8 oz whereas the "Filet" I was served last week on a DeltaOne DCA-LAX dinner was a "Medallion" aka half the size of a small Filet (it was unfornately overcooked which is I think why it was served with steak sauce on top of it)
That is your new status. Filet Medallion.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
First of all, I would be glad that it was literal cheese and roast beef and not figurative cheese and roast beef (and having been to vegan restaurants with "patty melts" and similar, you should be really glad).

My recent DL food has been pretty decent - 2 D1 breakfasts recently (SFO/JFK/SFO), and a cold lunch salmon salad (MSY/LAX).

I suppose if the brand standard is vomitesque, I should demand compensation, as I did not receive the brand standard.
We didn't ask for compensation, but definitely will not be booking DL F any time soon.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I've had meals I've liked more than others. If you look at the in flight food menu, there are some tasty items and some that just look like garbage. My SFO - BOS flight in August had great food for the entire flight. The way back wasn't quite as good, but still not bad.

I personally don't find the portions too small. They seem about right to me. Maybe we are too used to our monster portions at Chilis or Applebees.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:59 pm

My last DELTA ONE flight the lamb pave (no idea what a pave is) was a huge portion that I could not finish.

My wife's pasta was not as big but was enough to fill her and it was very tasty, while not amazing was about the same level as some pasta dishes that I have had in land based restaurants.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Exactly. DL food has been always among the worst of any airline.

If you care about the in flight product quality, esp. food, then you should fly UA or AA. In-flight food on both UA and AA is far superior to DL every time.
Check the AA forum - lots of complaints about how bad AA food is, and how DL is much better.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by The Situation
I wouldn't go as far as calling it amazing, but for the most part, meals other than breakfast are pretty good, and for the most part it seems Delta puts some thought and effort into creating interesting and tasty food, especially in key markets like SEA. There are some duds though. For Americans who are used shoveling down four or five Big Macs, I understand why they think portion sizes are small, but the volume of food is reasonable for what most people do and should eat (I might have a gripe if portion sizes get any smaller though). All things considered, I think airplane meals now are a lot better than anything I experienced back in the 90's or 00's.

I fly in the front in many well regarded Asian airlines, so I can say that SEA's F meals are as pretty darn good, even compare to Asian airline quality. I have had them quiet a few times:

1) generally comes with a local clam chowder, a bit watery, which is fine as I don't like very creamy and heavy soup
2) seafood entreess, from salmon salad to shrimp pasta, to other items, all of them are well prepared, and taste pretty darn good
3) always a very well balanced dessert, like tart or macaroon (lately pink macaroon)
4) nice bread for a change. I dont eat carbs and I eat that bread.

The meal has gotten so much better that I see most pax eat up all the food on the tray. I think that speaks a lot.. DL definitely had put in a lot of thoughts into these meals, no doubt about it... For airplane food, I'd call it amazing.

I had much worse food in D1...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I claimed the 2 ounces. And you are incorrect.

USDA recommendation (whatever that means) is 5-7 ounces daily. The 1 ounce you refer to is a single serving size.

On days I travel, I may not eat until the flight. A 2 ounce piece of meat in Delta 1 for dinner is pathetic. Most people have a few ounces of protein for either lunch or dinner - maybe both.

I haven't eaten a Big Mac in over 10 years and certainly couldn't eat more than 1. The other poster who referred to us complaining about portion size because we are used to scarfing down 4 or 5 Big Macs is plain disrespectful.
I am not being disrespectful to you, but the average American's caloric intake estimate today is about 3700 cal, the equivalent of about 7 Big Macs a day. Amazing,when you think about it.
SFCav likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
On days I travel, I may not eat until the flight. A 2 ounce piece of meat in Delta 1 for dinner is pathetic. Most people have a few ounces of protein for either lunch or dinner - maybe both.
I don't think delta should have responsibility for feeding you double or triple if you don't eat until the flight. pack some snack bars, eat at the airport before the flight, etc etc
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Austin787
Check the AA forum - lots of complaints about how bad AA food is, and how DL is much better.
UA also whacked their domestic catering budget recently. DL quality/quantity really does seem to depend more on the hub and route, all else being equal (distance, time of day). DL is also by far the most generous in terms of offering special meals.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I don't think delta should have responsibility for feeding you double or triple if you don't eat until the flight. pack some snack bars, eat at the airport before the flight, etc etc
Wow, some folks on here have serious troubles with critical reading and reading comprehension.

Did I ask for double or triple? No. I asked for recognition that 1 small plate and a plastic-wrapped cookie may not cut it for many folks. I said it would be nice if they brought back soups, salads, etc - actual small side plated items that were healthier and more filling than a carb-laden main course. A plated dessert would also be nice.

Do you travel for business? I may not eat because I am busy with work - so who has time to stop a buy a junky snack bar when DL advertises premium food showing more than 1 small plate of food on their site?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
The last time I flew ATL-HNL-ATL I got a decent steak outbound and a mediocre Mahi Mahi inbound..... The food from ATL base is not that bad...

The pre-arrival sandwich is usually very bad, especially from ATL. I've tried a couple times, and I will usually order the salad instead....
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by wlau
I fly in the front in many well regarded Asian airlines, so I can say that SEA's F meals are as pretty darn good, even compare to Asian airline quality. I have had them quiet a few times:

1) generally comes with a local clam chowder, a bit watery, which is fine as I don't like very creamy and heavy soup
2) seafood entreess, from salmon salad to shrimp pasta, to other items, all of them are well prepared, and taste pretty darn good
3) always a very well balanced dessert, like tart or macaroon (lately pink macaroon)
4) nice bread for a change. I dont eat carbs and I eat that bread.

The meal has gotten so much better that I see most pax eat up all the food on the tray. I think that speaks a lot.. DL definitely had put in a lot of thoughts into these meals, no doubt about it... For airplane food, I'd call it amazing.

I had much worse food in D1...
That ice cold flavorless rock hard dense yellow roll thing? That is some of the worst bread I have ever tasted, I'm not sure exactly what kind of bread it is supposed to be... SEA catered food is edible, I'll grant you that, and that does make it a step above most airplane food but it is still airplane food and not anything that could be considered good.

As far as people eating all the food on the tray I'd argue that has less to do with the quality than the general gluttony of your average passenger and the desire to eat something "free".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.