Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We have it SOOOO good at Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by minnyfly
There's only 11 UA 767s left flying in the old economy configuration (their only international widebody planes with looping video), and the rest are being completely re-done inside. The majority of UA's 767 fleet is virtually identical to DL's international 767s in the economy cabin with some slight advantages to the UA fleet such as 110V power throughout Y and no subfleets with older IFE (DL's 76L).
So if you ignore UA's subfleet with older IFE, one of the benefits to UA is that they don't have a subfleet with older IFE?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Delta PM
I've been flying DL trans-Atlantic since they took over Pan Am.
Almost always in the back, though even as a FO, i got upgraded about a quarter of the time until the GA's lost the power to do so, about 8? years ago.

I always thought the service in the back was pretty good, though there were certainly flights in which the FA's seemed to disappear behind their curtain for almost the entire trip. Oh, and NOT coincidently, those flights were much warmer than normal.

Occasionally, as I watched DL continually reduce amenities and services, I's fly the competition or KLM. While I liked KLM, the other US carriers were always worse, no matter how bad I thought DL had become.

In the past 12 months, I've now had 4 trips to Asia, 1 on DL, 2 on KAL, 1 on JAL and 1 to Europe.

While the service is better on KAL and JAL, DL offer much better selection of entertainment. In part because they seem to have a lot of foreign films that probably cost them nothing, though I like them a lot.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by runningformqm
bottled water is apparently a benefit to diamond level marco polo members flying economy on cx

maybe i just got unlucky when i flew jal.

i liked b6's wifi but their entertainment seemed lacking compared to dl's avod, i havent flown b6's a321 though
The old A320s are kind of broken down now and not as many TV channels. But after reconfig, the A320 and A321 mint should have 100 live tv channels with bigger screens. E90s are still a class above those 2 in terms of comfort level though. Not saying Delta isn't better than other legacies in Y. It is, but it certainly aren't as consistently good as what I've seen on B6. The A321s and new C Series should be really good, but you can also end up on 757 or CRJ.

btw, TPG's ranking on transcon economy class
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/bes...economy-seats/
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by wxman22

Occasionally, as I watched DL continually reduce amenities and services, I's fly the competition or KLM. .
I'm curious which amenities or services you view as being reduced on Delta over the past recent years? In my view the major reductions were around 9/11 and then into the recession, and that over the past 8 or so years DL has generally been investing in the onboard experience, especially for intercontinental travel.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Official seat width isn't what matters. Room at torso height is, and DL's 747s and A350s are on the lower end of the width scale. It's not at the bottom, but it's not far off either. They're no 767 or A330 in that category.
Other than the window seats, how is the width at torso height different than the seat width? If a seat is wider, there is more shoulder and torso room.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Other than the window seats, how is the width at torso height different than the seat width? If a seat is wider, there is more shoulder and torso room.
It depends on how wide the armrests and dividers between the seats are, for example if there's a tray table or AVOD screen that folds down between the seats.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
Well, United sells Economy Plus as legroom only, not enhanced service as well. Delta sells enhanced (albeit minor) service in C+, so obviously you should have been better off on DL.
There is no difference in food and drink service between C+ and Main Cabin on long haul international flights (the C+ "premium snacks" are only offered on domestic and short-haul intl flights over 900 miles -- where there is no meal service in Main Cabin). C+ gets a better Amenity kit than Main Cabin, but they both have eye shades and ear plugs (Main Cabin just gets a "sleep kit").

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 27, 2017 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
(the C+ "premium snacks" are only offered on domestic and short-haul intl flights over 900 miles -- where there is no meal service in Main Cabin). .
The snack basket is offered on the transcon routes (that serve meals) in C+ as a pre-arrival snack. This is in addition to the mid-flight ice cream bar.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends on how wide the armrests and dividers between the seats are, for example if there's a tray table or AVOD screen that folds down between the seats.
But, I think unless you are in an exit or bulkhead, there isn't usually a fixed arm rest in Y and the remaining arm rests are pretty standard from airline to airline.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Plat
After praising DL so much earlier in this thread, I'll add the major flaw that I see the DL experience. Partner Skyteam lounges and access rules are far worse than what UA/AA members receive on * and oneworld. This is likely to affect people traveling outside the US as DL lounges are only domestic (except NRT and SCL).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by runningformqm
After praising DL so much earlier in this thread, I'll add the major flaw that I see the DL experience. Partner Skyteam lounges and access rules are far worse than what UA/AA members receive on * and oneworld. This is likely to affect people traveling outside the US as DL lounges are only domestic (except NRT and SCL).
While it's an issue for people with an SC membership only, as a DL Gold/Skyteam ElitePlus you get access to partner Skyteam lounges on international Skyteam flights just like UA and AA elites get access to their partner lounges. It's the third party lounge access where DL is more restrictive. Even there, if you are flying a Skyteam partner rather than DL, you will get access to the third party lounges as a Skyteam Elite Plus member. Even when flying DL, I find that I'm often given access to the third party lounges even though the DL website says I shouldn't. Last month, I was flying NCE-JFK on DL and was given lounge access to the third party lounge in NCE.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
While it's an issue for people with an SC membership only, as a DL Gold/Skyteam ElitePlus you get access to partner Skyteam lounges on international Skyteam flights just like UA and AA elites get access to their partner lounges. It's the third party lounge access where DL is more restrictive. Even there, if you are flying a Skyteam partner rather than DL, you will get access to the third party lounges as a Skyteam Elite Plus member. Even when flying DL, I find that I'm often given access to the third party lounges even though the DL website says I shouldn't. Last month, I was flying NCE-JFK on DL and was given lounge access to the third party lounge in NCE.
I also meant that the quality of Skyteam lounges is often not as good as * and oneworld lounges (outside the US). Some partners don't even have lounges, such as CSA and Air Europa.

Though some lounges are on par with domestic lounges. For example, the rat I saw in the VN lounge reminded me of the AA PHL lounge.

Last edited by runningformqm; Oct 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I'll get my hat now, but while I am on the way out, yes DL is significantly superior to United and American, but part of the difference is the customer demographic. DL doesn't chase the bottom feeders the way the other US bus companies of the sky do. As a "foreigner" I have seen the difference. DL pax are generally of better quality than the other two legacy airlines. It might be the routes, or the regions I fly, but no matter the shape, size, colour or aroma of the customer, DL pax are usually nicer. To me this translates into a more pleasant flying experience. Considerate and polite pax do make a difference and all I know is that Delta is an airline that still manages to elicit some genuine affection from its customers. Love is to Delta what hatred is to United.
Are you serious? I find it hard to believe that the customer demographics are significantly different between DL, UA, and AA.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by skchin
Not best for b u t t s, but NWA was good at upgrading their top tier for free to business regardless if back was sold out or not.
Maybe that's why they are no longer in business? @:-)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Traveller
Maybe that's why they are no longer in business? @:-)
You really think that M&A is the same thing as going out of business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.