FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   We have it SOOOO good at Delta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1874212-we-have-soooo-good-delta.html)

bubbashow Oct 26, 2017 12:32 pm

We have it SOOOO good at Delta

I recently completed a round trip to London on United, about two weeks after the same flight on Delta. On both trips, I was in Economy (Plus/Comfort). The differences between United and Delta are night and day in the back.

The over water flights on United and Delta were all on 767-300 aircraft. In economy, this is the most-comfortable ride (in my opinion). The interiors were roughly the same (United has cloth, not leather), the legroom comparable, the flights were all on time, and the stage lengths comparable (ORD vs DTW). That is where the similarities ended.

United provides no eye shades in economy, nor does it provide ear plugs in back. United charge for alcohol. I could have opted for complimentary wine and beer, but my beloved vodka soda was $8. The flight attendants on United also took dinner drink orders with initial beverage service, not to bring it back later, but to leave 3-4 cups on the tray at once. The food on United was pathetic. Honestly, just a few bites in size, with only a small grain-based "salad" as a side with a packaged roll. They did come through with ice cream for dessert. Delta had an amazing dinner for coach as can be seen in the meal thread. Much-more appetizing, and much-more filling. I was hungry at the end of the UA meal. Ambien in, off to sleep. Breakfast was comparable on both - cold, small.

As for entertainment, UA had looped video on small screens in the seat in front. There was an on-demand streaming service on the plane, but there were no power outlets outside of the First and Business Class cabins. Didn't really bother me going as I slept, but coming home westbound, would have been nice to had the option to power my phone to take advantage of the broader entertainment streaming. Delta beats United HANDS DOWN for electronic/entertainment convenience.

Same story on the way back. Both breakfast flights, both starkly different in quantity and quality.

As much as folks like to complain about Delta, they have done an amazing job catering to passengers in all cabins. So many get caught up in minor inconveniences to realize how good we really have it.

shimps1 Oct 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Well, United sells Economy Plus as legroom only, not enhanced service as well. Delta sells enhanced (albeit minor) service in C+, so obviously you should have been better off on DL.

howtofreetravel Oct 26, 2017 12:48 pm

United sucks that's a poor comparison why not compare them to Japan Airlines or ANA or Cathay Pacific or a an actual good airline

woodford02A Oct 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 28980565)
United sucks that's a poor comparison why not compare them to Japan Airlines or ANA or Cathay Pacific or a an actual good airline

Oh I did not realize JAL and ANA fly London to the US? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

hi55us Oct 26, 2017 12:54 pm

I recently flew United ORD-BOS in F. I can see why Jet Blue gets a premium on the route and there's no competition from DL, tickets where dirt cheap and the service matched. The 757 looked like it had been untouched since the 80s.

Duke787 Oct 26, 2017 12:55 pm

As someone who has to fly Y when traveling for business (but no longer travels enough to get to Plat/1K where upgrades are at least feasible) I agree wholeheartedly. It's why I have moved nearly all of my flying to Delta despite the steady devaluing of SkyPesos - especially for any long flight (either domestic or international)

Flew JFK - MXP last week on the A330 and the DL Y meal was a very nice kale salad with chicken, they did 3 or 4 drink runs (had a Woodford followed by Avissi) and then they gave out full size water bottles once service "ended" for the overnight hours.

Breakfast was a nice Noosa yogurt and some other stuff.

Entertainment is the only place I disagree - I've been flying DL a lot the past couple of months and have been bored by the options (which sucks since I've got a TATL and TPAC coming up) vs. United Private Screening which has had some solid options when I've been on UA (though all domestic, no international).

jdrtravel Oct 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Agree with everything, including that DL entertainment could use some more options. However, I am really, really glad that DL has bucked the trend and kept in seat screens that you can choose your own program on (looped videos?? C'mon UA, this is not 1995!).

Other US carriers are pushing the streaming option as the primary option. This has lots of drawbacks, and I really do appreciate that DL has nice screens where I don't have to worry about having working power or working internet (two things that very often DON'T work). That being said, I'd like to see some better film options.

TuxTom Oct 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Because those airlines don't serve the routes the OP flew. A more fair comparison would be comparing the UA and DL flights to VS or BA.

runningformqm Oct 26, 2017 3:11 pm

Honestly, I have also flown JAL in CX in Y and I vastly prefer DL. Every time I've flown JAL and CX the cabins have felt like saunas, while DL keeps the cabins freezing (which I prefer). 2nd, JAL and CX don't give bottled water to Y passengers, just from the tap which I will not drink, while DL gives unlimited Evian bottles to Y passengers. Lastly, JAL and CX provide much less food compared to DL, I always leave JAL and CX hungry while I am fairly full on DL. In J its a toss up, love that CX gives espresso (JAL only serves it in F). DL bedding and deserts (ice cream sundaes :D) are much better than both CX and JAL. Unfortunately, the hot cabin issue on JAL and CX is also true in J.

Edit: entertainment is also much better on DL. Though after flying CX many times I know which merchant bank to use in HK ;)

skchin Oct 26, 2017 4:40 pm

When you are flying 13+ hours overseas in coach, your butt hurts no matter which airline you fly. I miss NWA.

jdrtravel Oct 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by skchin (Post 28981568)
I miss NWA.

Was it best for buts?

bubbashow Oct 26, 2017 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 28980605)
Entertainment is the only place I disagree - I've been flying DL a lot the past couple of months and have been bored by the options (which sucks since I've got a TATL and TPAC coming up) vs. United Private Screening which has had some solid options when I've been on UA (though all domestic, no international).

There were a lot of options. I was shocked to find no power in the 767 in E+. I have flown their 777, and there IS power in E+. The lack of power had me not wanting to drain my battery completely on the TATL flight.

SJC ORD LDR Oct 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 28980484)
As for entertainment, UA had looped video on small screens in the seat in front. There was an on-demand streaming service on the plane, but there were no power outlets outside of the First and Business Class cabins. Didn't really bother me going as I slept, but coming home westbound, would have been nice to had the option to power my phone to take advantage of the broader entertainment streaming. Delta beats United HANDS DOWN for electronic/entertainment convenience.

I remember flying ORD - DEN on UA 10 years ago and thought the looping video was lame. Can't believe they still haven't updated it yet.

Also, one advantage DL has out of LHR is access to the VS Clubhouse for PM/DM in Y. I was there earlier this month and I loved the lounge. It's up with the CX Wing J lounge at HKG as my favorite lounge. It blows every Sky Club out of the water.

skchin Oct 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 28981578)
Was it best for buts?

Not best for b u t t s, but NWA was good at upgrading their top tier for free to business regardless if back was sold out or not.

SeaHawg Oct 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 28980605)
As someone who has to fly Y when traveling for business (but no longer travels enough to get to Plat/1K where upgrades are at least feasible) I agree wholeheartedly. It's why I have moved nearly all of my flying to Delta despite the steady devaluing of SkyPesos - especially for any long flight (either domestic or international)

Flew JFK - MXP last week on the A330 and the DL Y meal was a very nice kale salad with chicken, they did 3 or 4 drink runs (had a Woodford followed by Avissi) and then they gave out full size water bottles once service "ended" for the overnight hours.

Breakfast was a nice Noosa yogurt and some other stuff.

Great to know- Flying JFK-MXP next weekend in Y (PWM ticket, V-fare) so no upgrades possible! The intl meals in Y have been good of late in my opinion...