Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

is FC SDC any different to/from Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

Live in DC. About to buy FC and will prob buy a flight HNL-MSP-DCA for the return. Assuming there's a seat avail on HNL-ATL-DCA when I want to return, are there any different rules for first class SDC on HNL-ATL? or is it the same as any other domestic SDC: there just needs to be a seat available and I need to call in the appropriate time frame? thanks. safe travels everyone.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
if you buy FC you should be fine. I used RUCs and tried to do the same thing with SDC and the agent wouldn't allow it because ATL-HNL requires GUCs.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
if you buy FC you should be fine. I used RUCs and tried to do the same thing with SDC and the agent wouldn't allow it because ATL-HNL requires GUCs.
Agree no problems with paid SDC.

However in your situation HUACA was in order. Doesn't matter if used a RUC/GUC. As long as the paid fare allowed the routing you can SDC to it.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
As long as the paid fare allowed the routing you can SDC to it.

That's the key. There are P fares WAS-HNL that prohibit travel between certain airports on Delta One aircraft.

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN JFK AIRPORT AND LAX/SFO ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A330-200 AIRCRAFT ON NONSTOP FLIGHTS. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN JFK AIRPORT AND LAX/SFO ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A330-300 AIRCRAFT ON NONSTOP FLIGHTS. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN JFK AIRPORT AND LAX/SFO ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A350-900 AIRCRAFT ON NONSTOP FLIGHTS. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN JFK AIRPORT AND LAX/SFO ON BOEING 757-200 WINGLETS AIRCRAFT ...
DiverDave and kthomas like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
What was the routing? West coast connections to/from HLN? IIRC the MSP-HNL and vv nonstop requires GUCs to upgrade, just like the ATL nonstop.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What was the routing? West coast connections to/from HLN? IIRC the MSP-HNL and vv nonstop requires GUCs to upgrade, just like the ATL nonstop.
My routing was JFK-LAX-HNL. I asked to SDC to JFK-ATL-HNL. This trip was a while ago, I think the first year Delta introduced RUCs. At the time the agent's position seemed reasonable, but knowing what I know now I would have tried HUCA.

In the end our LAX-HNL went mechanical and we ended up switching to LAX-OGG without penalty. It was nice to see Maui!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:41 am

Slightly tangential, but it would really help me if someone could clarify for me:

I believe I have heard previously that for SDC in general, I cannot SDC from a 1-stop to a nonstop flight. Does the same apply for 2-stop vs 1-stop?

Currently looking for a paid first flight back from HNL and HNL-LAX-SLC-RDU is the cheapest by far for my date. Is that a flight I could SDC to HNL-ATL-RDU to get a good night's sleep?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by laxrdu
Slightly tangential, but it would really help me if someone could clarify for me:

I believe I have heard previously that for SDC in general, I cannot SDC from a 1-stop to a nonstop flight. Does the same apply for 2-stop vs 1-stop?

Currently looking for a paid first flight back from HNL and HNL-LAX-SLC-RDU is the cheapest by far for my date. Is that a flight I could SDC to HNL-ATL-RDU to get a good night's sleep?
The problem is that many 2-stop itineraries are often broken fares. There isn't an official rule that prevents 2-stop to 1-stop, but if you're on a broken fare you will probably have issues.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

That should be doable. If HNL-ATL sells out, you might look into HNL-SLC-RDU. It's obviously not as long of an overnight flight, but HNL-SLC is typically served with 767 or A330 with lie-flats.

Edit: Should have included broken fare disclaimer that WWads listed above.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by WWads
The problem is that many 2-stop itineraries are often broken fares. There isn't an official rule that prevents 2-stop to 1-stop, but if you're on a broken fare you will probably have issues.
Thanks for the help, y'all. I suppose the obvious follow-up question is: is there a way I, the consumer, can determine if it is a broken fare?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thanks for the help, y'all. I suppose the obvious follow-up question is: is there a way I, the consumer, can determine if it is a broken fare?
The easiest way is if you are flying AAA-BBB-CCC and AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC are in different fare buckets.

However even if they are in the same bucket it is no guarantee because it could still be a broken fare that happens to be booked in the same bucket for each fare component.

I believe the most reliable way to tell is to inspect the "Fare Details:" line in the flight receipt email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.