Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied SkyClub Access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

Wait, What? A dairy product will be fine for months without refrigeration? You must live near the polar caps.

Show me a label from a dairy product where it states that, so I can buy it and test it out in the temperature here.
Well there are several cheeses that will do just fine in a cool, dark, pantry. But previously I did post a link to a child's yogurt product that didn't require refrigeration. I see them a lot, Costco has some in bulk.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know the details of how long it lasts in what temperatures, but "sterilized" (not just Pasteurized) shelf-stable (no refrigeration needed) milk has long been sold in parts of Europe. It's never refrigerated in transit or on grocery store shelves.

Also, many Europeans don't refrigerate items like cheese and butter to the extent that Americans do. [Think about the cheese cart in European fine dining restraurants and the way that cheese is served at room temperature.]
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know the details of how long it lasts in what temperatures, but "sterilized" (not just Pasteurized) shelf-stable (no refrigeration needed) milk has long been sold in parts of Europe. It's never refrigerated in transit or on grocery store shelves.
You can buy non-refrigerated milk in the US also. My grandchildren take it to school every day in their lunchboxes.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
You can buy non-refrigerated milk in the US also. My grandchildren take it to school every day in their lunchboxes.
AFAIK it's much more recent in the USA.
CarmenOM likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
SLC far and away has been the most friendly and fantastic DL staff I have ever seen.
SLC SC staff are amazing.
sdadept likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I like the non-refrigerated milk here in the US and keep it on hand for emergency situations when the power might go out and milk is required.

I know the non-refrigerated chocolate milk has been available in this part of the southeastern US for at least 20 years. It's still easier to find that one here than the plain milk. But I would guess that many US residents are unfamiliar with milk or yogurt that does not require refrigeration.

Back to the OP's original issue - I did not know that you couldn't take outside food into the lounge. Then again, the only thing I've ever visibly carried in there was a water bottle on the side of a backpack. This was a learning experience for me.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kthomas
So exactly why does Delta evidently have a rule against outside food and drink, in an area that provides unlimited food and drink?
DL: "Think of it as a personal retreat — your home away from home."

I can think of a number of reasonable reasons for the restriction.

Just as I can think of a number of reasonable reasons for why reasonable exceptions should be made.

I would have put everything into my carry-on and then requested a Redcoat.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

Wait, What? A dairy product will be fine for months without refrigeration? You must live near the polar caps.

Show me a label from a dairy product where it states that, so I can buy it and test it out in the temperature here.
Have you forgotten the Sky Clubs' shelf-stable alternative cheese-like product from a few years back?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20197231-post32.html

The no food into the lounges topic has been discussed ad nauseum here:

Outside Food in Sky Club
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:49 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
As many times as I've been to Germany, it has alwayz amazed me that they have milk on the "regular" shelves in the normal aisles in the supermarkt. I have also seen stacks of cartons of eggs on end caps.

They also have milk in the coolers, so, I always wonder why someone would decide to buy one over the other.

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 20, 2017 at 11:07 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:31 am

I've been told that sterilized versus Pasteurized milk tastes different.

Also, German (and European in general) refrigerators even in large houses are much smaller than the ones that are typical in the USA, so many people don't have space to refrigerate milk at home.

Finally, for small children, there's probably a belief that the sterilized kind may be safer. This might or might not be true.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Oct 20, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
since the thread is meandering anyway:

Why The U.S. Chills Its Eggs And Most Of The World Doesn't
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by davetravels
As many times as I've been to Germany, it has alwayz amazed me that they have milk on the "regular" shelves in the normal aisles in the supermarkt.
It's the same as the USA. Ultra-pasteurized mile doesn't need refrigeration, and it is stocked on a normal shelf (generally with the almond/soy/coconut milk). It isn't as popular in the USA, but it is there.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It's the same as the USA. Ultra-pasteurized mile doesn't need refrigeration, and it is stocked on a normal shelf (generally with the almond/soy/coconut milk). It isn't as popular in the USA, but it is there.
This was exactly my point, that, in Germany, I'll see dozens of cases of non-refrigerated milk on display, whereas here, it's practically unheard of. It's a hugely popular item there (as in my pic, although some of that looks like OJ).
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
since the thread is meandering anyway
Haven't you ever heard of a Meandering Jew???

Oh, wait a minute.......
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Originally Posted by mikeef
I've always been amazed by the number of people who seem to deal with these mysterious, incessant crying babies who ruin their lounge experience. I've been doing this for almost 20 years and have yet to come across a single instance of a child crying for more than a minute before their parents removed them. I'm only a little less amazed that so many travelers in lounges feel a need to be shouting their confidential business dealings and personal health issues into their cell phones.

Mike
You are not joking!! In addition to the usual stream of self-important “closers” spewing MBA babble into their phones, I was amazed to witness an ENTIRE remote therapy session during a recent stay at the SLC club. Apparently the guy was in the middle of a divorce, his (soon to be ex) wife had some issues staying on top of their kids’ schedule, also was struggling with some mental health issue...he was basically talking at his therapist for a half hour straight. In the middle of the SC. At fairly elevated volume.

Some things I’ll never understand.

(at the MCO SC as I type this, environment fairly pleasant and quiet...)
silverthief2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.