Denied SkyClub Access

Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Denied SkyClub Access

ATL Concourse A near A17 Tuesday morning

Wife + Myself + 2yr old kiddo. We get swiped in w/ cards and boarding passes and were then told that we weren't allowed inside because we were carrying in outside food (our 2yr old's snacks for flight to SFO). Offers to leave his bagged food at the counter while we were inside went unaccepted by the agent.

Obviously this is ridiculous, but what's my recourse with Delta? Is there an email or phone number to contact? I'm a Platinum and this was our first Delta trip as a family outside of shuttle flights (LGA, BOS, ORD etc.) FWIW

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum or if I should know where to find this
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by shortenedknuckle

Wife + Myself + 2yr old kiddo. We get swiped in w/ cards and boarding passes and were then told that we weren't allowed inside because we were carrying in outside food (our 2yr old's snacks for flight to SFO). Offers to leave his bagged food at the counter while we were inside went unaccepted by the agent.

Obviously this is ridiculous, but what's my recourse with Delta? Is there an email or phone number to contact? I'm a Platinum and this was our first Delta trip as a family outside of shuttle flights (LGA, BOS, ORD etc.) FWIW

They rejected you for kids snacks? Seems pretty petty. I'd have called for a supervisor.
MikeyZBT and sdadept like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
That seems quite absurd to me. Snacks for small children shouldnt prevent you from entry, filing a complaint online is really the only way to go. You will likely get an apology in the form of some skymiles.
MikeyZBT and uggboy like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Mu suggestion: Go to DL.com and submit a complaint. The Comment/Complaint link is on the top right corner of the DL.com home page.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
They rejected you for kids snacks? Seems pretty petty. I'd have called for a supervisor.
Yeah - Fun conversation about the definition of "food"

Wife wasn't interested in sticking around by that point.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah thats pretty absurd. The intent of the rule is so pax aren't coming in with a bunch of fast food containers and leaving a mess, along with the smells. It shouldn't be to prevent a family with a bag of snacks for a child from entering... apparently the agent was in a particularly surly mood.
sdadept likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Definitely should have escalated this to a supervisor. Never had an issue with any place bringing food for our 2yo.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What were the snacks and how did the agent even know you had them?

Not that smuggling ought to be necessary, but I've just always assumed that everything is a no go so what I do have goes into my carry-on somewhere.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL GM
I've been rejected for having food in a bag before, so now it all goes into my carry-on before going into the Skyclub.

Rather silly to take issue with snacks for young children.

Keith
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:52 pm

If this were going to happen somewhere, I'm not surprised it happened at ATL.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
What were the snacks and how did the agent even know you had them?

Not that smuggling ought to be necessary, but I've just always assumed that everything is a no go so what I do have goes into my carry-on somewhere.
My approach as well.

I wonder if the club was crowded and the agent was looking for any excuse to deny entry? (Not to sidetrack the discussion into a fight about the intent of the rule, but the dragon was in her power to deny entry under the letter of the law)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
This seems incredibly petty, especially since you were willing to leave it at the counter with them. I've had my own sandwich before in a SC when it would otherwise potentially go bad being unrefrigerated in my bag for so long. I know your not suppose to do it but no one ever said anything and I hate throwing food away.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....Offers to leave his bagged food at the counter while we were inside went unaccepted by the agent....
This sounds petty. However, I doubt any lounge agent will be willing to safe keep your food. Unless they have a foodcheck system, the same agent may not be there when you are ready to leave.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
What exactly did you have with you as snacks/food?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by captaink
My approach as well.

I wonder if the club was crowded and the agent was looking for any excuse to deny entry? (Not to sidetrack the discussion into a fight about the intent of the rule, but the dragon was in her power to deny entry under the letter of the law)
Doubtful. But, entirely possible that somebody had just been denied entry for food and had to toss something and then sees a family show up with food.

I'm not sure how you do anything other than draw a bright line when people have food out in the open.

An email to DL isn't going to generate anything more than a reference to the rule because DL has to back its employees up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.