Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KL 747 J seat choice dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

KL 747 J seat choice dilemma

I managed to secure a global upgrade on a KL-operated flight served by a 747. It's been one of my goals to fly on the upper deck of the 747 for a long time, and with the Queens rapidly being retired, time is running out.

The dilemma, of course, is that KL's New World Business has a 2x2 configuration in all of the upper deck. The configuration has 3 single seats (1A and 4A window seats and 4E in the middle), of which only 4E is available.

Does anybody here have a recommendation on seats? Is the upper deck worth the hype, or should I take 4E?

(I realize this could arguably go in the KLM board, but given that I used a GUC to upgrade and have my status with DL rather than KL, I decided to post here)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I always grab one of the three singles on KL 747. Much nicer experience and secluded (thanks to layout of galley on KL 747) then either UD or LD on DL 747.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Thats a tough one. Normally I would say single if youre not flying with a companion, but 4E is such an awkward island in the stream sort of seat with people passing you on both sides....

I did an upper deck window seat on the KLM 747 once because I, too, wanted the upper deck experience. The climb over my neighbor was not a big deal (and Im no gymnast), but this also was a westbound flight and sleep was minimal. Are you flying RT in J? If so, I would do 4E on the eastbound (hopefully less foot traffic if everyone is sleeping) and UD on the return...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gigglypug
Thats a tough one. Normally I would say single if youre not flying with a companion, but 4E is such an awkward island in the stream sort of seat with people passing you on both sides....

I did an upper deck window seat on the KLM 747 once because I, too, wanted the upper deck experience. The climb over my neighbor was not a big deal (and Im no gymnast), but this also was a westbound flight and sleep was minimal. Are you flying RT in J? If so, I would do 4E on the eastbound (hopefully less foot traffic if everyone is sleeping) and UD on the return...
No one should be passing on left side. The left side has a curtain and then coach. The toilets and galley are both accessed via the right side. Coach has curtain blocking access to the two LD J toilets. Only time anyone will goto left of seat is during boarding/deplaning.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Agree on choosing a LD single. The great UD experience you read about here is (was?) the 1-1 seating on DL, only 14 seats and 2 lavs, etc.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've flown the KL 747 -- upstairs aisle, and downstairs 1A and and 1J and 2B.
I don't recall being inconvenienced by the passengers in the window seats having trouble climbing over me -- but I don't ever go full flat. But I have another flight scheduled and given the choice I took 1A.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and advice. To add some info based on the responses:
  • only the upgrade on the eastbound flight has cleared
  • not traveling with a companion
  • the westbound flight is to a different airport and is not served by a 747
  • trip is for vacation and so I might catch a few zs, but its not important that I sleep
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I took 4E in a similar situation a year ago. It was perfectly fine. The pod is big enough that I found the island thing a non issue.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta - GM
The other downside to 4E is that there is no air flow vent directed onto the seat, so if that is important go upstairs. I have flown both (but only once), and enjoyed both seats. The upstairs feels like you are on your own private plane.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I took 4E on ORD-AMS earlier this year. Agree with angra. Perfectly fine. Would choose again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.