Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Difficulty adding a flight to an award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difficulty adding a flight to an award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:10 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Zorak
Or at least use more descriptive titles, or just a single thread don't think I've seen OP do anything but complain, in multiple forums.
THANK YOU!

You beat me to it, but the Delta forum in general needs some enforced standards about thread titles and corrective action if they’re not followed.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
As a tip to the OP - I have had success with some agents who are still capable of "tacking" on a domestic flight and keeping it at the same initial redemption level. These agents are needles in a haystack though. Typically takes 10+ calls to find one. Makes me wish when you find a good agent you could get their direct line and/or email and only work with them!
SFCav likes this.

Last edited by FSUnole03; Oct 8, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I’d rather buy the one way flight than Call 10x! So I ended up buying it in coach for $88. Not bad. Better than spending 25000 miles. It takes $3000 in spend with tax to get 25,000 miles. Pretty small return to spend then on that. On American this would have been such a super simple task.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
So stop flying DL? This isnt a new pricing structure, its years old. And in each one of your posts you've mentioned how much easier other airlines are. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
It’s not always by choice !! I wish I had full control. I guess this was new to me because I had not come across this. I really don’t know how to deal with Delta compared to the others. I guess learning the hard way but mesmerized on how poor the Skymiles system is
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Tried to change the title. I agree. Not good!! It doesn’t let you
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
.... These agents are needless in a haystack though. .....
My favorite line in this thread. What a great mental picture it conjures! This is either a unique metaphor or the best of autocorrect.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by aero0729
I cannot believe they cannot just add the segment onto your trip like every other airline in the world (for the most part).
And I can't believe AA has virtually no saver awards. And I can't believe DL offers a free carry on bag for Basic Economy. And I can't believe BA doesn't allow same day standby nor anytime awards. And I can't believe WN doesn't have upgrades or seat assignments. And I can't believe DL has the best on-time performance and rarely cancels flights and UA and WN and AA can't seem to match that.

Point: Every airline is different. They all have pros and cons. You learn to work around them. Maybe its time to put life in perspective. Flying 300,000 miles is a privilege that most don't get. Some people hate that all airline appear to be the same. Others want them to be more different. This is just one difference. Time to move on.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
My favorite line in this thread. What a great mental picture it conjures! This is either a unique metaphor or the best of autocorrect.
Lol, autocorrect
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
The bottom line is the OP's Logic for rational travel does not equal the sellers logic for profitable business - end of story. I think we all agree it makes no sense that you couldn't join the 2 sectors, but we also all understand that these are the rules of the game set by Delta. By all means write in and biatch about how ridiculous it all is, but don't expect to quote 2 rival airlines where this logical feat was possible, without it being suggested that you improve your quality of life and fly with those airlines. Not everyone is defending Delta - were trying to show you the path to serenity, and clearly Skymiles should not be a part of that.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
like every other airline in the world (for the most part).
So which is it? Every other airline in the world . . . or just some? Most?

OP's exception swallows up OP's initial rant.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:51 pm

AA to Asia - 60K Biz Class
LOL... if you believe this, have I got a bridge to sell you...
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
LOL... if you believe this, have I got a bridge to sell you...
Between JAL and Cathay Pacific I have had no issues booking at 60K miles

Last edited by aero0729; Oct 9, 2017 at 1:39 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
News flash: UA is going to treat this exactly the same way. If you have a saver award booked from BBB-CCC and want to 'tack on' AAA-BBB then you have the same exact choices that DL laid out for you.

A) Reprice the entire ticket for AAA-CCC using miles. If the whole itinerary is available at saver award then you can grab it and it cost no new miles (because UA does not use DL's ridiculous system of pricing mileage awards...yet)
B) Book AAA-BBB as a separate ticket and pay the saver award miles for that ticket.
C) Cancel BBB-CCC and hope that the inventory goes back into the saver award bucket. History says this almost never happens unless the flight is very lightly booked.

So, there is no difference.

UA is likely not the program for you either. And it's only a matter of time when UA will start dynamic award ticket pricing like DL.

-RM
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:12 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Tried to change the title. I agree. Not good!! It doesn’t let you
There are probably some other travel chat forums that will work the way you want them to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.