Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Difficulty adding a flight to an award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE

Skymiles stinks.. We all know that. It is one of the worst mileage currencies in the world. Anyone who collects them, clearly has no clue what they are doing. From constant devaluations to ridiculous rules, the surprises never stop.

Flying from DTW-NRT I found a one way in DL One for 80K. This is not really a "steal" but DL best bargain. AA charges 60K miles on JAL's FAR superior product and UA charges 65K on their own metal. Either way for CRAP sky Pesos, this was a bargain.

Now I need to leave from MIA instead of Detroit. So i found R class at its lowest price point (25,000 miles) and called to it tacked on.

The agent gave me 2 choices:

1. Pay the new price of 225,000 miles for the one way! HAHA I could transfer AMEX points and do Singapore Suites for 175K if I wanted to be that ridiculous

2. Purchase the new flight on its own at 25,000 miles.

I asked why it cannot be tacked on it my itinerary. 2 different agents say... we do not"tack" flights on , we re-price the entire award.

I have had 100% success doing this at American, no questions asked. 100% success at United as well. Even with their silly new changes.

Look .. This is a mess. The reasons to fly DL dwindle...and dwindle .... and dwindle. Skymiles is offensive. The other programs have their devaluations but this is crazy, non stop mental torture!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 9, 2017 at 5:24 am Reason: I have changed the title of this thread
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL has used fare logic for awards for over two years now. This is not at all "new". Maybe you should have done some basic research before starting to fly DL.

Booking Delta Award Tickets, 2015 on

"Married segment logic may be applied to award tickets. Even if AAA-BBB is available in low and BBB-CCC is available in low, AAA-BBB-CCC may not price at the low level."
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
Skymiles stinks.. We all know that. It is one of the worst mileage currencies in the world. Anyone who collects them, clearly has no clue what they are doing. From constant devaluations to ridiculous rules, the surprises never stop.

Flying from DTW-NRT I found a one way in DL One for 80K. This is not really a "steal" but DL best bargain. AA charges 60K miles on JAL's FAR superior product and UA charges 65K on their own metal. Either way for CRAP sky Pesos, this was a bargain.

Now I need to leave from MIA instead of Detroit. So i found R class at its lowest price point (25,000 miles) and called to it tacked on.

The agent gave me 2 choices:

1. Pay the new price of 225,000 miles for the one way! HAHA I could transfer AMEX points and do Singapore Suites for 175K if I wanted to be that ridiculous

2. Purchase the new flight on its own at 25,000 miles.

I asked why it cannot be tacked on it my itinerary. 2 different agents say... we do not"tack" flights on , we re-price the entire award.

I have had 100% success doing this at American, no questions asked. 100% success at United as well. Even with their silly new changes.

Look .. This is a mess. The reasons to fly DL dwindle...and dwindle .... and dwindle. Skymiles is offensive. The other programs have their devaluations but this is crazy, non stop mental torture!
You sure fly Delta a lot for all your complaints! Why not vote with your feet!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot to mention, if you are a hub-based flyer, this can result in some amusing discrepancies. These results are both for November 8th.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Or at least use more descriptive titles, or just a single thread don't think I've seen OP do anything but complain, in multiple forums.
jdrtravel and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Plus for flying DL a lot doesn't seem to know about changes made awhile back.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
You could have just purchased the MIA-DTW ticket separately and moved along without all the excessive and pediatric ranting.

No, it's not ideal, especially with irrops. However, as a DM traveling on the same airline for both tickets, I doubt they would give you any trouble at all about rebooking you in the event of a misconnect. They'd most likely take very good care of you in that situation (unless you were rude to them, which given your track record is certainly something I could imagine). As a DM, you should know that.

Book the 25K miles ticket and try to give yourself a few hours for the layover. And also stop complaining so much.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
You could have just purchased the MIA-DTW ticket separately and moved along without all the excessive and pediatric ranting.

It's actually possible to offer an opposing opinion without demeaning the other party.

Sometimes, its even a more effective way of making your point.
obscure2k and Beltway2A like this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta
Might I respectfully suggest that you take your business to an airline that better matches your requirements? This would be considerably more effective than ceaselessly complaining on an anonymous internet message board.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, "we" don't all know that.

Comparing the cost in miles of one carrier's program to another's is apples to oranges because different programs award and charge for miles/points in different ways.

There is simply nothing new here and in the two years since launch you could have accumulated a lot of miles on some other carrier of your choosing.

But, DL marketing people love to see threads such as this. It proves the point that people rant a lot, but they don't jump ship.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
It's actually possible to offer an opposing opinion without demeaning the other party.

Sometimes, its even a more effective way of making your point.
I'm well aware, and in generally agree, and usually try to keep it polite on here and in my life. But the word "sometimes" is the key word in your comment. OP has flooded the DL forum over the past few days, and I felt it was time to use a different tone.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I do fly DL a lot, but not loyal to them. I fly 300,000 miles per year. I am constantly learning new things as I added DL into the mix for this firs time in years, and it has been one new bad discovery after another. I cannot believe they cannot just add the segment onto your trip like every other airline in the world (for the most part). Hard to get over paying the highest amount of miles out of all the US carriers and then not being able to have any flexibility like you have with the others.

UA own metal to Asia - 65K Biz Class
AA to Asia - 60K Biz Class

Why am I not comparing apples to apples? DL awards the same amount of miles as AA/UA. EXACTLY the same!
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm well aware, and in generally agree, and usually try to keep it polite on here and in my life. But the word "sometimes" is the key word in your comment. OP has flooded the DL forum over the past few days, and I felt it was time to use a different tone.
I take no offense, no worries man.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by aero0729
I do fly DL a lot, but not loyal to them. I fly 300,000 miles per year. I am constantly learning new things as I added DL into the mix for this firs time in years, and it has been one new bad discovery after another. I cannot believe they cannot just add the segment onto your trip like every other airline in the world (for the most part). Hard to get over paying the highest amount of miles out of all the US carriers and then not being able to have any flexibility like you have with the others.

UA own metal to Asia - 65K Biz Class
AA to Asia - 60K Biz Class

Why am I not comparing apples to apples? DL awards the same amount of miles as AA/UA. EXACTLY the same!
Deleted, need more coffee.

Last edited by cestmoi123; Oct 8, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
No, they don't. My last trip to Europe generated 59k miles. On AA or UA, would have been about 16k. Another recent trip to Boston, 4k DL miles earned, would have been 1500 on AA.
You would have to explain because all these airlines do pay out the same per dollar. Skymiles aren’t any easier to obtain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.